1985 junker for DD, just a cheap build process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 junker for DD, just a cheap build process

alright, figured i would put up a post about my 85 325e...its ugly, its cheap (got it for a song) and after ignoring friend, it popped a timing belt. lesson learned, and now i'm going to be fixing it up cheap, but not dumb like i was.

so far, owned it for a year, but just recently started to take it a little serious (after timing belt and replacing the top end, thanks to my friends garage)

i've got a cheap ebay chip installed, tucked the bumpers, did a horrid job on covering the front seats, got more cracks than a fault line on my dash...and still sitting like a 4x4

so the one with my little daughter is before, and the other one is how it sits today.

i'll update it with how the interior looks later.

plans..short term,
    rebuild the shifter linkage (if enough money will get z3 swap, but probably just stock)
    pick up some tan seats (getting a good deal on some old eclipse/talon tan cloth seats that are in good shape)
    paint bumpers (fix wavy surrounds), paint side trim, paint mirrors, paint spoiler all black.
    use scotch bright pad to clean off all the oxidized clear coat that looks turrible
    cut one coil off front springs (talked to local bmw guys, plus seen a few write-ups about the only difference between the m3 spring and stock springs is one coil. don't worry, i have a spare set of stockers if things go badly or if i turn out to be that stupid!)
    remove the rear spring hats (hope to just have it a little lower)
    start figuring out how to repair all the front interior (cracked dash, loose vvinyl around the a pillars and roof console thing...and make it all match with the same repair...

so enjoy and make fun, i'm a cheap ass on a budget, i'm just going to try to do the best with what i have, won't try to skimp on the motor and drivetrain though
    Attached Files
    1985 325e - a cheap work in progress
    http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Insane E30 View Post
    so enjoy and make fun, i'm a cheap ass on a budget, i'm just going to try to do the best with what i have, won't try to skimp on the motor and drivetrain though
    You will fit in very well here.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

thanks, hopefully when i'm done somebody besides me will this the car is cool...if not, as long as it gets my ass back and forth to work and home, i'll be happy

Comment

Originally posted by Insane E30 View Post
        thanks, hopefully when i'm done somebody besides me will this the car is cool...if not, as long as it gets my ass back and forth to work and home, i'll be happy
        It's an e30, of course it's cool...to our crowd. Now thinking of it, your e30 plans are a lot like what I have done (seats, trim, linkage, top end). Enjoy, have fun, and get to work!
        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

alright, so time to get serious, will be doing all the stage 0 stuff, trying to get it as functional as new. then i'll start other projects on it...so i'll be keeping track of my progress here, first thing, all fluids getting changed. getting the shifter linkage fixed (very sloppy). changing the rusted out muffler for a new one. then looking into why the front end is loose.

hopefully changing out my front seats as well, might be just the driver for now, but depends on the deal i can find *shrugs*

man i'm poor

Comment

well should be started on phase one of stage 0 this weekend. will be getting a local shop (used to be a bmw mechanic but opened his own garage, does great work) to fix my shifter linkage and while he's at it, change the belts and swap out the muffler...

but thought i would lay the ground work for the look (pic is for reference, my car will never be this nice)

i'm going to paint pretty much everything black (minus the body) all the trim, grille (i only like the kidneys blacked out on a silver car really...) and rear spoiler. then the rest of the car i'm aiming for a satin grey/silver

we'll see how it works out...

Comment

who forgot to paint that car?

someones getting fired.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Wide, chunky, low-down and matte gray. There aren't many things for which we'd consider that a flattering descriptive, but the Citroën DS4 Racing concept is just such a thing.

this is another example...

Comment

alright so i bought a 3 spoke from here, didn't have the leather, so i sewed a wrap on, looks good will have it installed maybe this weekend :) and just picked up a b-pillar piece as well. once i fix/get the shifter fixed and the console back in, the interior will start looking good again, need to take some pics to showcase how bad it is...hopefully will turn out very nice. next up, finding at least a driver seat or a set

Comment

Working...
                  X