This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 X20-C101 Harness Adapter

As a lot of us get closer to having our swaps completed, I thought a harness adapter chart might be a useful addition to this sub-forum. I searched yesterday, but didn't find anything specific to this swap. I did find a plethora of E30 C101 charts and quite a few M/S5x charts, but nothing for our V8 swaps. Has anybody done an excel chart or care to offer up their info here? Just thought it would add even more credibility to this sub-forum being the "somewhat definitive" V8 swap forum, lol!

Garey

Oh, and I would use said chart for my car, since I'm ready to make the adapter now, haha...

I went through the schematics for the x20 on a 94 525i and a 94 540i, and they were identical. Wire size, color, pin #, and function, were all the same. Which means you should be able to use the common info in the 24v subforum. The conversion chart will depend on year and model. All early model cars with a square c101 should be the same, but round c101 cars vary in at least 1 or 2 versions. I can send you my chart for my 85 325e -> 94 525i/540i if you'd like. But use it at your own risk...

I stopped using charts from other people after I melted an m20 engine harness using second hand info from this forum (+12v vs. ground, on the same pin at c101). I just go right to the ETK and do it myself now.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

This is from rtsauto.com

E30 3xxi - BRILLANT ROT

Comment

I found the e34 530 harness is different from the 540 harness. There is an extra purple relay I haven't figured out its function and a large 50a fuse. I was hoping to get started on my adapter last night but found someone cut both ignition wires for whatever reason on my 530 harness. (black and yellow and black and green) so I may be on the hunt for another harness.

Edit: purple relay's function on the 530i model ONLY is the secondary air pump. I'll definitely be removing that wiring today.
        Last edited by dirty30; 04-21-2012, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I did my adapter yesterday using the RTS chart as a guideline. All the essential wires match up the their corresponding function in the ETM. The engine harness side X20 from an E36 makes a perfect plug to use for your M60 connector. All the wires just like JGood was saying are in the exact same position as the M60 connector.

The problem I was facing with the 530i manual trans engine harness was the secondary air relay and the black/ green ignition wire. The secondary air relay is easily eliminated by popping the harness covers off and weeding the wires out. The main power for the relay comes out right before the e-box grommet where the ground wires are. The black green ignition wire X20 pin 15 (I think) was for whatever reason run through another port on the boot up near the e-box grommet. The engine harness side X20 was also lacking pin 15. I used my trusty stash of BMW harness pins and remove the black/ green wire from the boot, clamped on a pin and stuck it in 15 on the X20. I then used my trusty e36 engine harness stash to get the ring terminal end and run it down to the starter where it should be. Pretty simple to modify the 530 harness but for someone not familiar with OBD1 e36's or with a pile of e36 engine harnesses laying around it would have been a bear to troubleshoot. If anyone needed help or needed more details I can post some pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
            ... If anyone needed help or needed more details I can post some pictures...
            Just in the interest of making this sub-forum a reliable resource for future swappers, I'd post up a few pics of what you did. It might even help out someone trying to troubleshoot an issue... just my opinion.

Garey

Comment

If you try to use that chart for a pre-89 round c101 car, make sure you do not hook up x20 pin 3 to c101 pin 20, as the chart specifies. It says only 89+... They mean it! 89+ is +12v, 89- is ground.

And obviously that chart doesn't apply to 84/85 cars with the square c101. I have the info for the c104 connector for the early cars written down somewhere, I'll post it when I find it. Two of those three wires need tied in to the x20, in addition to the green plug on the back of the cluster for the speed signal, and the square c101.

Comment

Oh, and this is probably a good thread to put this link in:

It's a searchable PDF of the 95 525/530/540 ETM. The ones available at wedophones aren't searchable, so it takes a bit longer to find any instances of x20/c101. But here is that link anyway:

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                  Just in the interest of making this sub-forum a reliable resource for future swappers, I'd post up a few pics of what you did. It might even help out someone trying to troubleshoot an issue... just my opinion.

Garey
                  I'll take pictures tonight to illustrate those modifications. I ordered the pin and socket housing for the VSS so when I wire that in I'll post everything all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                    If you try to use that chart for a pre-89 round c101 car, make sure you do not hook up x20 pin 3 to c101 pin 20, as the chart specifies. It says only 89+... They mean it! 89+ is +12v, 89- is ground.
                    89+ cars use pin 20 on the C101 for ABS power supply +12V, which is what pin 3 on the X20 connector is... you have been forewarned, lol! I know you said you fried a harness with mis-info about that. This is why I started this thread, since I knew there were people out there who had good info about possible pitfalls...

Garey

Comment

great thread btw :) Im just about to place an order with the adapter stuff @ pelicanparts

E30 3xxi - BRILLANT ROT

Comment

Edit:

Ok. The ETM threw me for a loop. The CEL wire from DME pin 8 runs through the X20 at position 8 as a gray wire then into a connector in an E34/E32 called X34. I initially thought my E34 harness had another plug somewhere near the Ebox that would have the CEL signal wire in it and it would be "X34" ...this was not the case. I ended up just wiring X20 pin 8 to C101 pin 8 that was also a gray wire. The RTS chart does not cover this. That solved the CEL signal wire problem. I finalized my chart and will post in detail tomorrow morning.

Here's the chart, keep in mind my car is a 318is and I am not using an oil level sensor. I also have the tach signal converter wired in between the DME tach output (20) and the X20 engine side connector. I concealed the signal converter inside the passenger side harness cover. Let me know what you think or if you would like I can make this chart public and we can edit it like a wiki.

Wiring adapter chart link

Here are some other things to look out for:

If your engine was from an automatic like mine you may have the thick and thin starter solenoid wires running parallel with the starter main cable and with ring terminals on both ends. These are not needed. I simply cut them and replaced them with the thin green/ black and thick black and yellow wires that are in the engine harness.

My engine harness was from a 530i and had the thin starter wire green/ black running out near the harness ground grommet. I had already removed it in this picture but you get the idea.

I pulled it back through the boot, crimped on a female round pin and put it back in the X20 engine side connector where it should be. In the picture its the wire that is loose from the rest of the harness.

image taken from Frank's thread

My harness also had provisions for a secondary air pump. Again this isn't needed and it easily removed. There is a random ring terminal that comes out by the other ring terminals near the power/ ground shown above. Pull that wire out of the boot. The power cable runs back through the harness under the passenger side cover but isn't connected anywhere it merely doubles back out to the 50A fuse holder. Remove all of it. Shown below is the relay holder and associated wires.

Last edited by dirty30; 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

^^^ Glad you did post this info, as I just used it to finish up my wiring! I had 2 M60 harnesses and sold one to Justin, but didn't mark which was which. I ended up with the 530i harness, so I had to do what you documented. Good pictures too. I just ordered my fuel pump setup, so I should have all of the electrics in place to start the engine by the time the pump arrives...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                            ^^^ Glad you did post this info, as I just used it to finish up my wiring! I had 2 M60 harnesses and sold one to Justin, but didn't mark which was which. I ended up with the 530i harness, so I had to do what you documented. Good pictures too. I just ordered my fuel pump setup, so I should have all of the electrics in place to start the engine by the time the pump arrives...

Garey
                            Glad it was helpful! I'll need to get Jean or somebody to sticky this thread or maybe we could link this thread to some sort of wiki. Keep us posted when it's go time!

I almost turned mine over tonight sans fuel pump relay to make sure all the connections were solid. After hooking everything up I realized my brand new battery from two years ago when I tore my car apart was stone dead. Like 2 volts dead.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                              Glad it was helpful! I'll need to get Jean or somebody to sticky this thread or maybe we could link this thread to some sort of wiki. Keep us posted when it's go time!

I almost turned mine over tonight sans fuel pump relay to make sure all the connections were solid. After hooking everything up I realized my brand new battery from two years ago when I tore my car apart was stone dead. Like 2 volts dead.
                              Ahh, don't feel bad... I kept a brand new OEM BMW battery for mine, since it wasn't supposed to be a long project, like it turned into... haha, I ended up selling that battery to a customer like a year ago, lol! Too funny... now I have to go and buy another one... I couldn't turn mine over even if I wanted to, lol!

Yeah, this whole sub-forum should be stickied, lol...

Garey

Comment

Working...
                              X