Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getrag 260 = Marbles in a glass jar with clutch off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 = Marbles in a glass jar with clutch off?

I know that 'Getrag Rattle' is a common term. I am somewhat worried that there is an issue with the output shaft. I am going to have the driveshaft machined to accept 1310 joints in the rear and since I would have it out, anyway to check the tranny for damages, aside from separating the bellhousing?

It only makes noise when the clutch is out (ie not pressed).

Hopeful to be flammed for being stupid. But just worried as I plan a 24v+turbo swap over this winter or summer.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Also, when I bought the car, it was marked with a Sachs Stage 2 clutch. All other included items were found to be actually on the car. Not sure this can create an issue.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Does it only make the sound when the clutch pedal is off and the car is in neutral?

If so, then its classic getrag rattle. The sound is normal, and there is nothing you can check with the driveshaft out.

I wrote about what you can do to reduce the sound here:

When you first hear the Getrag rattle its a little unnerving. The Getrag rattle is the sound the Getrag transmissions (particularly 5 speed's like those found in E30's, BMW's and GM's) makes when it is in Neutral and the clutch pedal is not engaged. The sound completely goes away when either the clutch pedal is
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Yup. Getrag rattle, and it's amplified in relation to how light the flywheel is.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

@noid - Yeah, at any point my foot is not engaged there is noise (ie. neutral). I read the article man, nice work. I will probably try the fluid mix trick soon!

@ForcedFirebird - The add says swapped and lighter, I never trust any of that and assume stock. lol. What ever the setp-up truly is, it holds well!
          20% Accurate

Comment

Also THANKS! Now when I buy I parts car, I'll set whatever tranny aside for a rebuild.
            20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
            X