X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Glorious Bastard 1991 750iL

I made a $200 mistake the other day. and here it is:

And here is the reason I picked it up.

So here's the deal, This car has HIGH mileage, 271,000 miles, it has some rust, and it hasn't run since 2006. The owner said that his mechanic said it has a "Computer issue" that was keeping it from running. He said he was sick of looking at it, and told me to make him an offer. The rust is in the trunk lid, and the bottom of a few doors. The trunk is a loss, it has some bad cancer, but the doors are salvageable. Their is a 1990 740il in a junk yard near me that has a good trunk lid, and good doors that are the some color as this thing.

I cleaned it up a little, mostly just knocked the funk off it, I got some small dent issues to deal with on the right side. The good news is everything works, with the exception of the powered headrest on the drivers seat, and the radio.

Today, I decided to mess with the motor a little. Good news was had:

This is using a shot of starter fluid in each TB, and a battery boost from my F150. But it does fire.

At this point, I'm still paying off the credit card I used to finish my M60 swap on E30. So this thing is really on the back burner, and any updates will be mostly about cleaning, and testing parts, until I can afford parts.

Whats the plan? I bough the thing for the motor, and I planned on building my own Gristle Hammer (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=386577) But after messing with it, I'm thinking this thing is too cool to just use it as a donor. I'm thinking I may VIP this thing, and airbag it, color change to black, tint the shit out of the windows, and a nice exhaust. Nothing too crazy with the drive train. Something that is super comfortable, that I can use for road trips and long drives. This is going to be another long term project.

The Glorious Bastard
    Last edited by delamaize; 07-11-2016, 08:09 PM.
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

WOOOHOOOO!!!

$200? Awesome!
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

very nice ! thats a steal ! hahaha

Comment

So sweet, I love e32's

Comment

Wow, what a beater! Worth the price paid for sure, if all else fails you could easily make your money back with parts.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Wow, what a beater! Worth the price paid for sure, if all else fails you could easily make your money back with parts.
            Thats exactly what I was thinking. It looks a lot worse that it is. I'm going to try to get a proper wash, and some more pictures in the next few days.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Got the Bastard pushed into the driveway, and my buddy Maston and I gave it a good scrub down. It looks 100% better, Still needs body work, and paint, But it looks a lot better.

We also decided to start our assessment, Some good news, Some bad news. First of all, Rust. As I said before, the trunk lid is toasted, It has bad cancer around the license plate lights. So I will have to get a new lid. Their is some pretty bad rust on the underside of 3 of the 4 doors, But I think we can wire brush, and POR15 it, and save them. The exhaust looks pretty toasted, It's all there, but it is pretty rusty, along with most of the heat shields. It will need brakes eventually, but their is some meat left, so that isn't something I am going to worry about until we get it running.

We also decided to start to evaluate the fuel system. And the news isn't good. We pulled the fuel pumps, which was a chore in it self. The cover with the fuel level sensor was super rusty, and we broke 2 studs just pulling it apart. Both pumps terminals were rusty as hell, and the screen on the pumps is plugged and nasty, and the clamps are rusted badly. The pumps are not running either. We do have power at the plug. As for the tank it self, It's bad. it's really REALLY rusty inside and out, and the upper vent has rusted though in a few places. Not to mention the 10+ gallons of lacquered fuel in the tank. Needless to say, we got some serious work to do with the fuel system.

Good news is, the rest of the car, thus far seems pretty solid. As of now, the plan is to try to find a new tank for cheap, New ones are like $600-$800, So finding one in a junk yard is going to be a must. In addition, The factory fuel pumps are about $300 each, and I need 2. So I am going to see what the specs are, and see if I can find a warbro or something like that instead. better pumps for less money. The plan for the lines, is to disconnect them from the fuel rails, then blow them out with air first, then try to pump carb cleaner though them repeatedly until clean, and of course new filters. I'm planning on cleaning out the fuel rails, and trying my hand at cleaning the injectors also.

If all else fails, backup plan is still to copy Slammin' and build my own Gristle Hammer.
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

You're going to love driving that thing. They're so cush.

I had to buy another one to fix up and drive, lol.

Also, protip...the M70 in my wagon is running fine on the original M50 fuel pump, so if ya wanna get the thing moving around there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                  You're going to love driving that thing. They're so cush.

I had to buy another one to fix up and drive, lol.

Also, protip...the M70 in my wagon is running fine on the original M50 fuel pump, so if ya wanna get the thing moving around there's that.
                  I'm in love with it already, and I have not even been able to drive it yet!

About the fuel pumps, that is great information! I found another 750il in a junkyard near me, that has the tank still, I just don't know the condition. But they also have a 740il E32 also, so that tank might be an option also. Maston works at O'Reilly, and he is suppose to be getting me some prices on parts though them. I'm really leaning towards some Warbro pumps at this point.
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Sweet baby jesus, cant wait to see this project. I have a soft spot for the E32 and the E34, especially the 750's!
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                      I'm in love with it already, and I have not even been able to drive it yet!

About the fuel pumps, that is great information! I found another 750il in a junkyard near me, that has the tank still, I just don't know the condition. But they also have a 740il E32 also, so that tank might be an option also. Maston works at O'Reilly, and he is suppose to be getting me some prices on parts though them. I'm really leaning towards some Warbro pumps at this point.
                      What year is the 750 in the yard? Personal curiosity...

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                        What year is the 750 in the yard? Personal curiosity...
                        I think it's a 88 or 89. The guys at the yard said that it "has a rod knock" He also said the dual pump setup is already gone. I gotta wait for payday before I can do anything...
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

nice mistake!
                          1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                          1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                          Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                          1967 2002 parts car
                          1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                            I think it's a 88 or 89. The guys at the yard said that it "has a rod knock" He also said the dual pump setup is already gone. I gotta wait for payday before I can do anything...
                            Ahh.....everything I'm finding around here is 1988-89. Really want a 1990+ engine harness and ECUs.

Comment

Working...
                            X