M42 Fan Delete...with a/c ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading through the various fan delete mod postings here and over on M42Club.com and plan to do this on my '91 E30 318i.

I'm tired of the howling clutch fan and my goal is to replace it with an electric one from the E36 318 (p/n: 64508372039) plugged into the cars' a/c fan harness, along with the 80/88 degree temp switch (p/n: 61318361787). From what I've read, this seems to be the hot setup ....actually I guess it's the cool setup!

What I haven't been able to find is if anyone has done this and is still running a/c, and if this single electric fan will provide sufficient engine and a/c condenser cooling. Most folks indicate that they've ripped the a/c out of the car but I'm keeping mine and want to be sure the fan mod will work. Sorry if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find any posts about it.

Thanks

The A/C has its own fan located in front of the condenser. I also converted to an e-fan for the radiator, but what I don't know as well is if it will affect the condenser fan coming on when its supposed to.

My A/C hasn't worked but I'm trying to get it working, so I'd like to know as well if wiring in an e-fan for the radiator will affect the condenser fan coming on as needed.

My cooling fan has its own temp probe pushed into the fins of the radiator.
    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

I removed the Aux Fan when I did my E36 fan + 80/88 switch mod. My AC works and the single fan cools everything just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
        The A/C has its own fan located in front of the condenser. I also converted to an e-fan for the radiator, but what I don't know as well is if it will affect the condenser fan coming on when its supposed to.

My A/C hasn't worked but I'm trying to get it working, so I'd like to know as well if wiring in an e-fan for the radiator will affect the condenser fan coming on as needed.

My cooling fan has its own temp probe pushed into the fins of the radiator.
        Yes, my plan is to also remove the condenser fan and power the new e-fan from the condenser fan's harness (which hopefully is plug-n-play deal).

I think this setup will work OK; my concern has been whether it can maintain proper cooling when, for example, I'm sitting in traffic with the a/c on with a red hot condenser right in front of the radiator.

Vpilarrt's results on his E36 are encouraging... sounds like the e-fan will work and provide sufficient cooling when using the a/c.

Thx

Comment

No, I did the E36 fan swap into my E30 318is

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
            No, I did the E36 fan swap into my E30 318is
            Oh I see, I misunderstood. Well then, I'll be ordering me up a fan, etc. to do the conversion, and a new a/c condenser while I'm at it since it's cracked and lost all of the refrigerant.

Comment

Working...
            X