Auxiliary fan working, but not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary fan working, but not.

Well I replaced the auxiliary fan switch but the fan still won't kick on. I can get it to come on with a metal wire and shorting the plug that goes from the fan to the switch.
    I was thinking maybe the car wasn't getting warm enough because it doesn't usually get all the way up to half way, but I let it idle with the A/C on for a little bit and it did get up to the middle mark but the fan still wasn't kicking on.
    I also checked the fuses and they're all good.
    anything else that might be causing this?

By switch, do you mean the resistor? Sometimes that goes bad and then the aux fan won't turn on.
    Me: "I can't wait to redline my car!"
    Mark: "Didn't you just break a rocker arm?"
    Me: "Yeah, I don't think I've learned my lesson."
    Mark: "You never will."

Comment

You're loosing me.. Does the fan kick on when the AC switch is on? The aux fan only comes on when the coolant (in the radiator) gets pretty freaking hot. The resistor's do go bad, so if it isn't turning on when you have the AC switch on it could be the resistor.

Comment

thanks, it doesn't turn on with the A/C. i'll look into the resistor.

Comment

check the low speed resistor. it might be dead. You might be shorting out the high speed functionality of the temp switch. which provides power..sans resistor

edit: aww crap... thats what happens when i open the post and don't get around to it for an hour.
          Originally posted by FredK
          However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
          Feedback

Comment

Well I tried hard wiring the resistor and that didn't work. I tried jumping both functions (high/low) and they both turned the fan on, but I couldn't actually hear a difference in speeds.
            I used a key ring to make a semi permanent jumper that will kick the fan on when the A/C is on:

Comment

do you know where the resistor is? try jumping both sides of the resistor with ring terminals or just getting rid of the resistor all together. If the resistor itself is bad, you won't get any current through it. Replace it or just bypass it with a wire. It will run at full speed without the resistor but at least you will know the low switch works.
              Originally posted by FredK
              However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
              Feedback

Comment

I tried just connecting the wires together, it didn't help. I couldn't get the fan on at all with it like that. So I connected the resistor back.

Comment

have tried a lower temp. aux. fan switch?
                  '02 Outback wagon
                  '87 325is 5sp
                  '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

No I haven't. But it is my understanding the fan should come on with the A/C no matter what the temp is.

Comment

Working...
                    X