Megasquirt vs OBD1 dynos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megasquirt vs OBD1 dynos

Same motor (M54b30 w/ZHP cams). The only mechanical difference is that Megasquirt gets rid of the MAF. Same dynometer, same conditions. I spent a lot of time getting the most power out of the OBD1 and then out of the box Megasuirt beats it by 10hp and does it with smooth delivery.

The car is a daily driver (when I'm not bike commuting..). Starts cold or hot. Idles better than with OBD1, doesn't stall with a light flywheel. I've gone weeks without even thinking about because it JUST WORKS!

Disclaimer: I screwed-up because I still had my fuel cut in grandma-mode at 6000 rpms. Power should have peaked at around 6200-6300 rpms so it's probably closer to a 230whp motor.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 04-10-2012, 06:50 AM.

That's a smooth graph.

Strange how the peak is much later.

Any top-end changes?
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Cause Megasquirt ROCKS!! :D

MAFs can be finicky on intake configurations...
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

And more restrictive :)

Anything else left to do with her?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's very impressive from an M54. The power curve is so smooth and linear. With the MS you don't even see where the vanos or disa switches over.

Could you overlay it with those s50 and s52 dynos like you did before..
          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
            That's very impressive from an M54. The power curve is so smooth and linear. With the MS you don't even see where the vanos or disa switches over.

Could you overlay it with those s50 and s52 dynos like you did before..
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=171672
            Took me a while to collect all the run files, but here they are.

I've taken the liberty of finishing my plot after the 6000 rpm fuel cut
            Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting! I wonder if the dip in power around 3700RPM is due to intake resonances pissing off the MAF. I saw exactly the same kind of thing when I was developing my M42 MAF conversion. The sensor is so sensitive that it resolves individual intake pulses...and at resonance, the ECU doesn't sample fast enough to get an accurate reading through all the noise.

I am not 100% sure how MS handles all the rapid pressure fluctuations in the MAP sensor (you are using a MAP sensor right, or Aplha-N?), but I would assume that the smooth power band is thanks to getting rid of the MAF.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Another dyno proof that 3.5 inch HFM is just waste of money

Comment

The gains from 2k-4k rpm are just astonishing. Must be a very fun car to drive. How much time did you spend tuning it?
                  --Will

Comment

Working...
                  X