MS on 24 swapped e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS on 24 swapped e30?

Hey guys. I have spent my lunch hour searching but so far havn't seen an answer to my question. What will I need to make megasquirt work with a 24v swapped e30? They make pnp kits for the m20/30 motors, but nothing that looks like it is premade for the m5x's. I know you can build them yourself to suit your needs, but I think that one goes a bit beyond my ability...

Do you need to build a custom harness? Has anyone seen a thread that explains what needs to be done?

Whats the point? Just go OBD2, get the BS emissions stuff flashed out and enjoy simplicity
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I am looking to build a motor. Either a high comp 2.9 or 3.0 frankenmotor, cams, headers, etc. The stock ecu is not going to get me where I want to be and trying to do remote tunes/flashes probably will be very expensive. unless I missed something, you can't just tap into the ob2 ecu from my home pc can I?

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
        I am looking to build a motor. Either a high comp 2.9 or 3.0 frankenmotor, cams, headers, etc. The stock ecu is not going to get me where I want to be and trying to do remote tunes/flashes probably will be very expensive. unless I missed something, you can't just tap into the ob2 ecu from my home pc can I?

Why spend all of that money on the hardware and then buy a cheapo standalone.
        Do you think there are any professional motorsports teams using OBD 2 or megasquirt? They aren't. They are using quality computers such as Emtron, Haltech, Motec, Vipec, Link, etc. all of these computers offer waaayyy better performance and reliability. It doesn't even come at a premium either!

Link now makes a PnP unit that retails for $1.2k and plugs right into an e36 obd1 engine harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I'm talking about a ~$2k motor build...All the systems you just listed are probably more then half of the engine build cost...And megasquirt doesn't look to cheap to me anymore...Not building a race car here, looking for an average guys weekend warrior car...

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post

Link now makes a PnP unit that retails for $1.2k and plugs right into an e36 obd1 engine harness.
            Link to the link? :D
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Link to the link? :D

With the Link BMW e36 OBDI M50/S50 plug in standalone engine management "chip tunes" are a thing of the past. This engine management system allows for tremendous flexibility and can handle any custom engine set up from NA to turbo / supercharged combinations this plug in unit is up to the task.

PM me and I'll put you in touch with my tuner. I'm using this ecu with my fully blueprinted S52 race motor. He knows these things inside and out.

The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

So, you haven't stated what engine you will be using, but all you need for an m50 stroker build using m54 rotating assy is a red label 413 ecu with a green label 503 chip. Or buy a chip from turner.

Look up hakentt on YouTube. He basically outlines this clearly.

Odd about the user names...hopefully not related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Derek-

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
                  So, you haven't stated what engine you will be using, but all you need for an m50 stroker build using m54 rotating assy is a red label 413 ecu with a green label 503 chip. Or buy a chip from turner.

Look up hakentt on YouTube. He basically outlines this clearly.

Odd about the user names...hopefully not related.

Nope, no relation. I have seen some of his posts and videos as well. Again, I want to be able to tune the ecu, not just get the car running on factory mapping. Again, I'm planning on running higher compression, high lift cams, long tubes, etc. A factory chip isn't really going to get me where I want to go.

I haven't decided on a motor yet as I am planning so I don't have to buy twice. What I have been considering is doing a high comp (11-11.5) non vanos motor for simplicity sake with some cat cams (275/268) or potentially a vanos motor with a similar profile cam. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't a really good way to tune a factory ecu for this type of setup right?

Comment

http://www.aceperformancesystems.com...0-plug-in-ecu/

PM me and I'll put you in touch with my tuner. I'm using this ecu with my fully blueprinted S52 race motor. He knows these things inside and out.

I will do some research on this one. I have never heard of this company. If it really is plug and play, it is similar in price to what it looks like an MS3 unit is going to run me with all of the features I think I would want.

Comment

Nope, no relation. I have seen some of his posts and videos as well. Again, I want to be able to tune the ecu, not just get the car running on factory mapping. Again, I'm planning on running higher compression, high lift cams, long tubes, etc. A factory chip isn't really going to get me where I want to go.

I haven't decided on a motor yet as I am planning so I don't have to buy twice. What I have been considering is doing a high comp (11-11.5) non vanos motor for simplicity sake with some cat cams (275/268) or potentially a vanos motor with a similar profile cam. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't a really good way to tune a factory ecu for this type of setup right?

There is no really good way to tune a factory ecu for a performance motor like that. Factory ECU's hardware is optimized for fuel efficiency and emissions. Only a standalone will allow you to fully unlock what a motor is capable of AND do it in a safe matter that won't destroy expensive shiny parts. The other plus to a standalone is that unless you get a PnP (and even then) you can use that ecu for anything from a N/A v12 to a turbo L4. You only pay once!

Comment

There is no really good way to tune a factory ecu for a performance motor like that. Factory ECU's hardware is optimized for fuel efficiency and emissions. Only a standalone will allow you to fully unlock what a motor is capable of AND do it in a safe matter that won't destroy expensive shiny parts. The other plus to a standalone is that unless you get a PnP (and even then) you can use that ecu for anything from a N/A v12 to a turbo L4. You only pay once!

And that's exactly why I'm looking at standalones!

Comment

Yep. What berlow said. And reading between his lines, he is telling you to spend the money up front if you're going standalone. Even if the current build is inexpensive. It will be worth it later.

I am getting into mine as soon as we get settled into our new house in November, so good luck to you with yours.

Derek-

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
                            Yep. What berlow said. And reading between his lines, he is telling you to spend the money up front if you're going standalone. Even if the current build is inexpensive. It will be worth it later.

I am getting into mine as soon as we get settled into our new house in November, so good luck to you with yours.

I definitely understand spending more when it is warranted. Is there something one of then other standalones will do for me that I would really want that MS3 with the MSx expansion board doesn't do?

Comment

I definitely understand spending more when it is warranted. Is there something one of then other standalones will do for me that I would really want that MS3 with the MSx expansion board doesn't do?

VE fueling.
                              6d ignition mapping
                              Factory sensor compatibility
                              Precision closed loop Vanos control
                              Reliable closed loop knock control
                              Individual cylinder trim
                              Many different cold start strategies
                              Overrun fuel cut
                              A company you can actually call if you have a problem.

Read this: http://www.aceperformancesystems.com...able-blending/

Comment

Working...
                              X