e34 s62 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e34 s62 build

Hey guys, so I am getting ready to take care of a few things on my 1994 540i auto. As of now not a bolt has been removed from the car.

So, s62 swap... I want an s62 e34 as a dream car and I found an s62 from a guy who parts out wrecked e39 m5's. I asked him how much, he gave back a good price so I bought it. Now I'm committed >:] The initial plan was an m60/m62 hybrid as my #6 cylinder has low compression along with a 6 speed conversion.

So what's been done, I have an s62 in my garage now. Forgive the quality, I did not bring a real camera.

As a more complete plan the car I have an s62, the 6 speed from the same car, and its ecu. I will have the ecu reprogrammed to remove the ews and other system that will not interface with the e34 chassis. That being said, I am not grabbing the e39 gauge cluster or other interior components. As part of getting the ecu reprogrammed, it will be made to work with the e34 hardware with an adapter harness. Being a 94 540i auto, I have an open diff. That will need to change but I only need the internals. The 540i auto already has 3.15 gears like the e39 m5 so any e21, e32, e34 large case diff will work as at most I will just gut it for the internals. I do want to investigate if the internals of an e39 large case lsd will work. If so, I can just grab the internals from the same person I got the engine from so I can have a matching diff.

The driveshaft will just be cut and balanced. I'm not gonna go through the process of finding an e34 6 speed driveshaft.

The suspension is currently on H&R springs and stock everything else. I will be changing that to coil overs. I haven't decided which yet but I want adjustable damping ones. I have that on my e30 and I love it. Ideally, I will grab springs softer that the H&R with stiffer sway bars. I am not positive with that idea but that logic is coming from my experiences with my e30. Either way, more research will happen later when I am ready to work on that part.

The e34 exhaust should bolt right up but... mine is full of holes and rust sooooooooo.... ima build one. I have a friend who knows how and wants to weld. Annoyingly, finding performance headers for v8 e34s is stupid expensive (for what I found) so I'll mock up a set and build it.

Brakes will be fairly simple. I will grab 8 series front brakes and get a good set of pads and rotors.

The wheels are e38 m-pars with continental tires.

After that there will just be minor things to check/fix/do like fix the HVAC, auto to manual conversion, rust repair/body work, seals, etc...

That's where I'm at. Have any ideas or advice feel free to submit them and I will be updating this thread as progress is made.

This is awesome, good luck with the build. Any pictures of the E34?

As for advice, do any gaskets or work like that while the motor is on your floor. Rear main, front main, timing guides, etc. It will take longer and be more expensive but you'll thank for yourself when it's reliable.

Looking forward to updates

Comment

neat project
      sigpic
      24v swapped

Comment

it will fit like its made to be there. cant wait to see it!

Comment

Sexy motor! This will be an awesome car when it's done.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

removing the front clip would make it a hell of a lot easier. engine and trans would roll straight out. to get the front clip out, though, you have to remove the radiator, PS lines and AC lines, and wiring, etc. you be the judge on which is more annoying.

Comment

Can I have your old water pump?
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I don't need it to be working to be clear!
                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Wow. Fast. New tires for the wheels already, too?!
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Wow great project , some day i'll love to do this on my e34 ! i'm sub'd and going to follow the build !

Comment

I would not remove the cam(s) if you don't absolutely have to. I would certainly replace the rod bearings because it takes 30 minutes when the motor is on a stand an half a day when it's in the car.

You should not need to cut fan clutch off, get a big wrench and hit it with a hammer.
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Did a little more work today

So I actually managed to remember to get a picture of the rusty cam. It isn't actually that bad. I think I was just in a bit of shock last time as I have never seen a rusty cam and became paranoid.

Absolutely no reason to take it out, but I will definitely do the rod bearings. Although was kind of looking forward to the idea of rebuilding the bottom end but it just isn't necessary for a 100k s62. The chain guides and rod bearings are the two big things to do while the engine is on a stand and not in a car.

I will start ordering all of the new seals and parts tomorrow and hopefully this engine will be wrapped up soon so it can go in the car :)

Aside from that, the e34 just needs to have the oil and remaining coolant drained from it before it is ready to have the motor pulled. As in, friends show up, we unbolt the engine/tranny mounts, and pull it out. It looks like that will happen Saturday where I will then put the motor and autobox up for sale. Idk what a 200k engine and transmission is worth so we'll see what that gets me.

I'll keep posting work as work gets done

PS: as for that fan clutch, most stubborn one I have ever tried to remove. I had a large pin holding the pulling, plus the belt, plus a large clamp on the pulley wedged against the engine while hitting the end of the wrench with a 5lb sledge. It is stubborn, so so stubborn.

Comment

Holy crap man! That IS a lot of rust. That cam is going to mess up the followers which will in turn grind the lobes off the cam. How can you say there is no reason to do anything with it?

No offense, but....I'm not going to let you do any work on my cars.
                          Last edited by flyboyx; 04-07-2016, 04:53 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            Holy crap man! That IS a lot of rust. That cam is going to mess up the followers which will in turn grind the lobes off the cam. How can you say there is no reason to do anything with it?

No offense, but....I'm not going to let you do any work on my cars.
                            You misunderstood my post. I said there is no reason to take the cam out, that does not mean I am going to do nothing about it. I would not dare try to start the motor in its current state. Instead I can clean the cam in place (there are ways to do that without dropping material into the head) instead of going through the process of removing and reinstalling the cam and everything associated with that. If you have any other questions of how I will do something or why, please ask. I have this thread to help make sure this will be done right and so that others can see and learn. I try to update as soon as something happens for this reason.

Comment

That's. ... that's more rust than I expected. Obviously try polishing it with an emery pad or wet sand with 800grit, but fuck...

Generation III Internal Engine - How to Clean Surface Rust Off Cam Lobe - What is the best way to clean slight surface rust off of cam lobe?
                              Last edited by Kershaw; 04-07-2016, 08:48 AM.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X