Garagistic X-Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garagistic X-Brace

Two months ago I purchased and installed the E30 X-Brace from Garagistic and installed it on my 87 convertible.

Purchasing:

Garagistic is a good company to work with. I bought the X-Brace during their moving sale and while they were a little slow to ship it, they were fast on communication and kept me updated the whole time. Shipping costs were reasonable as well. I would attribute the shipping time to them moving their entire shop.

The Product Itself:

The X-Brace arrived freshly powder coated and looked perfect. They really put in the effort to make a nice piece. Packaging was very secure with a lot of padding and bubble wrap to make sure it arrived safely.

The install was a little tricky as it's a tight fit. But if you stagger the bolts on the install it goes in nicely. I haven't taken it since I put it in but I assume it will be easier the second time around.

Garagistic Provides all new hardware and spacers for fitting the brace. The hardware is high quality as well.

Using The Brace:

I don't know how much coupe and sedan owners will notice it but on the convertible the X-Brace makes a huge difference. Cowl shake is highly reduced and the whole car feels much more planted and less like a wet noodle. It's still not a full roof but it's a dramatic improvement.

Overall, I highly recommend the X-Brace. I would say it is a must have for all convertible owners. Especially if you plan on swapping or boosting down the line.

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. Please send us a pm as we would like to send you a gift for your time. :D

Comment

This should fit late model 325i door automatic with no issues right?
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

What kind of driving are you doing to notice these improvements in handling?
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
          This should fit late model 325i door automatic with no issues right?
          100% bolt up.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
            What kind of driving are you doing to notice these improvements in handling?
            Beating the car on back roads and AutoX show the most improvements but even highway driving feels more sturdy.

Comment

need this, thanks for the review!

Comment

Thanks - you just sold me an x-brace. Sent Garagistic a question.
                - Frank
                '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

Originally posted by achtunge30 View Post
                  Thanks - you just sold me an x-brace. Sent Garagistic a question.
                  Unfortunately we have not confirmed fitment with skid plates yet.

Comment

Originally posted by garagistic View Post
                    Unfortunately we have not confirmed fitment with skid plates yet.
                    Can you? I'd rather confirm this before dishing out the $180 to find out it doesn't?
                    - Frank
                    '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
                    http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
                    Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

Originally posted by achtunge30 View Post
                      Can you? I'd rather confirm this before dishing out the $180 to find out it doesn't?
                      Yes it someone has a car locally, we would be happy to find out for you.

Comment

X Brace

I purchased the same brace for my 1990 325i E30 Convertible. I agree with the statements on the first post. The install was straight forward, the new hardware provided was excellent. The assembly required loosely fitting the brace with the new hardware, then tightening the front 2 bolt/space/washer/nut under the steering rack, followed by the rear 4 bolts/washers for the FCAB.
                        After the install the car was noticeably stiffer and in my quieter. Stiffer, in that going over bumps and potholes with less wobble, quieter as the squeaks from the body twisting were lessened.

Comment

I installed mine awhile back and will offer my impressions as well. I echo the good things said about this bar. At the price point it does a fine job at what it's supposed to do.

However there are a few things I don't like about it. First, I think they put the cross bar too close to the CAB mount which puts it right where the exhaust is so it hits the exhaust (Turbo custom single 3"). I've noticed other bars have this piece forward of the exhaust downpipe. I had to not only get new mounts but I had to shim that side. Pretty big PITA but it comes with the territory. The supplied washers are too thin and the slots are too large which causes the washers to deform into the slots once torqued. I didn't like this so I just used thicker washers. Finally, I found that on my vert with uncut H&R Race springs minus spring pads, the bar will bottom out on good size speedbumps. The bar hangs unnecessarily low IMO so it takes a beating. I'm concerned that the CAB bolts may back out because the holes are slotted. I may raise the car a bit to remedy this. Keep this in mind if your car is lowered and you have a custom exhaust.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thank you for the kind words everyone. We always like getting feedback because it shows us how we can improve on our products. Thank you!

For those interested, we are actually running a black sale on these:

THE ULTIMATE X-BRACE FOR THE E30/E36 We've redesigned our E30 and E36 cross brace for even more added structural rigidity and created an integrated jacking point to make this the best underbody bracing for these chassis. Now made in stainless steel for corrosion resistance and increased strength. Overview Tighten up

Comment

I just got mine from the Black Friday sale and it is different from the one on the website and pictured in the post here. It's missing the 3 main gussets and the logo plate. Anyone else have this issue or know anything about a change??
                              89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
                              99 540it
                              86 Volvo 240 wagon
                              99 Cherokee
                              13 Passat

Comment

Working...
                              X