Deleting VSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting VSS?

Running a swap in my head that i'd like to do here pretty soon, but the car that will be getting the m50 isn't a BMW so the cluster would have no way of sending speed to the DME. I was wondering if there was a way that it could be removed with like a chip or something?

Thanks!
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Curious to see answers, but I heard non BMW swaps using the engine RPM fed back to the VSS input. I have not tried it, but it makes sense.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I just hooked my vss signal wire up to rpm signal, INPA shows at idle I'm doing 3km/h but VSS limiter doesnt kick in, afaik the vss limiter only cuts in if it detects a 0 reading.
      IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

So hooking up pin 20(tach) to pin 14(VSS) should keep from running in to issues?

I'm planning on tossing it in a Volvo 240 so I won't be running a tach because it would t read correct anyways since it's a 4cylnder tach.
        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
        92 525it 5 speed.
        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

I had issues getting my VSS to work. I have a late model and checked the cluster wire which looked fine, and then I ran new wire, which still didn't work, so I had Turner Motorsports send me a chip with VSS delete.

Without the delete, I would get a weird rev limiter and lose some power on the top end. Im not sure if my cluster is the issue or what, but I remember when having cruise control, it would never hold at a steady speed either so I'm going to assume that VSS is noticing the same thing and tripping out.

Comment

Hmmmm that's interesting. I'll keep that in mind then if I look in to deleting it. It's good to know at worst case it can be deleted with a chip
            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Working...
            X