Buying Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Check

Hey guys, long time lurker and hopefully a first time buyer soon. I originally wasn't planning on buying an e30 for another 6 months or so, but I found one that I can afford now and would just like to see if the work that needs to be done is worth the price and manageable for a someone who doesn't have experience working on cars.

Here's the link to the ad: https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5948215230.html

I'd really appreciate any advice/comments about the above ad.

Thanks!

purchase

This will cost you north of three grand by the time you are done and if you are lucky. Save your money to buy a car that runs and drives for that amount. Or consider this a good parts car.

Comment

Wow, the description in the ad makes the asking price way to high

Comment

This will cost you north of three grand by the time you are done and if you are lucky. Save your money to buy a car that runs and drives for that amount. Or consider this a good parts car.
        If I'm not mistaken the car has no engine or transmission issues, it's just the ignition, rust issues, and HVAC/interior things that need replacing. Is there something in the ad that I'm missing?

Comment

Thats some stuff though. About 600 more and you should be able to easily get a decent one.

How far are you willing to travel to pick one up. I am willing to go 4-5 hours becauee thats how far it is to houston, from my town. Way better cars and prices in places like that, even though you list chicago so i am not sure whats close and large.

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
            Thats some stuff though. About 600 more and you should be able to easily get a decent one.

How far are you willing to travel to pick one up. I am willing to go 4-5 hours becauee thats how far it is to houston, from my town. Way better cars and prices in places like that, even though you list chicago so i am not sure whats close and large.
            Yeah that's the main issue, I browse the classifieds on here and there are some great deals for not that much but I don't really have the opportunity to travel beyond Milwaukee/Indianapolis. There are some on craigslist but usually they are decent only in the 4-5k range or are total rust buckets because of the insane amount of snow and salt that is usually on our roads. I'll probably go check it out and if it is fine mechanically I won't mind progressively fixing the rust and the interior so long as I can drive it during.

Comment

purchase

Originally posted by MrPyromaniac View Post
              If I'm not mistaken the car has no engine or transmission issues, it's just the ignition, rust issues, and HVAC/interior things that need replacing. Is there something in the ad that I'm missing?
              Again about $3000 or more. $1400 for the car and don't think for a second that the ignition, AC, rust, interior and other unknown matters will be any less than $1600 to bring the car up to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
                Again about $3000 or more. $1400 for the car and don't think for a second that the ignition, AC, rust, interior and other unknown matters will be any less than $1600 to bring the car up to speed.
                Sorry, I must have misread your post, I thought by saying getting a car that runs you were saying this one didn't.

I'll have to see how bad of shape everything else is in, but I have to say I'm a bit excited at the prospect of restoring it, enough to pass up a better deal on a more complete car.

Comment

That's inexperience talking. Trust us. Spend more money up front for a nicer example. You'll save money and time in gigantic amounts. You'll spend more time enjoying your car. You'll spend less time walking away frustrated in the middle of a project.

Keep saving for another 6 months or buy this car and you'll be crying for the next 6 months.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by MrPyromaniac View Post
                    I have to say I'm a bit excited at the prospect of restoring it, enough to pass up a better deal on a more complete car.
                    Trust the rest of us on this one, buy a ready to roll car and still budget to overhaul it.

A cheap car is rarely a good deal as you'll spend about the same (often more) bringing it up to spec versus buying a better example. This also ignores the time you will spend fixing that one, which can be good or bad depending on who you are.

Comment

and, an old m10 318 is not nearly as fun as something with the m20. even the 2.7 eta motor is more fun then the old m10. I have had all the e30 motors and the older 318 are ok if you only want something that looks cool parked. if you want to do any kind of spirited driving, start with a basic 325 or newer 318i with an m42.

the m10 is a solid dependable motor but having only 90 or whatever horse power and 100 pounds of torque gets super old. especially when you are trying to get up to highway speed and the 93 year old lady behind you is flipping you off and yelling to hurry up.

Comment

Looking at the pics, it seems the hit in the front was probably bigger than just the front guard being replaced - if you look at the colour of the guard and hood they're the same, while the roof and door is different - I'd say at least the guard and hood have been replaced. I'd avoid it personally.

A road trip to find a good example would likely be worth the effort by the sounds of it. Having started my build with a two owner e30 in immaculate condition, you'll still spend plenty on fixes, maintenance and mods (with mods being the big one).

Mechanical things are relatively cheap on the e30, especially if you're willing to learn - body work isn't!
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          That's inexperience talking. Trust us. Spend more money up front for a nicer example. You'll save money and time in gigantic amounts. You'll spend more time enjoying your car. You'll spend less time walking away frustrated in the middle of a project.

Keep saving for another 6 months or buy this car and you'll be crying for the next 6 months.

^^This!
                          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
                          -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Working...
                          X