Raising money for cancer research..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising money for cancer research..

Ok, I've definitely raised enough to do the ride, plus a significant amount more! The people on r3v have been very generous, for what is supposed to be a bunch of broke kids who can't afford to drive a new car (as if we'd want to anyway!). The total raised by you guys has been over $1200! I'm impressed, amazed, and thankful. Plus, it's going to a good cause.

Anyway, the ride is tomorrow morning, starting at 7am. I'll be tracking it on my Droid (hopefully). I did purchase an extended life battery, but unfortunately it was defective. so I have the stock 1500mah battery. I don't know if it will last a full day but I think it will.

You can go to the following link to track me live:
    Track your runs, bodyweight training sessions, and other fitness & sports activities with adidas Runtastic apps. Stay motivated with your friends, set new goals, start a training plan, and live a healthier life.

It won't be active until I cross the border (I'm not paying data roaming for an hour of riding!). When it goes active, there'll be a little icon that says "live". Click on that activity and there will be a map of my current location, speed, etc. Also, underneath will be buttons you can click to "cheer" me - pretty cool, it plays them on my phone instantly.

We also have timing chips and you can follow the ride progress here

I expect I'll be across the border sometime around 9am pacific time (I have nexus but there'll literally be 3000 people in line with me).

The current forecast is for rain, of course. I'm hoping for the best. It's been a very cold, wet spring. The heater in my house is still coming on, that hasn't happened during June in several years. brrrr.

I'm still accepting donations too, I'm only $75 away from breaking $3000. I'm pretty sure it can be done!

Original post:
    Maybe some of you have seen my signature - I'm raising money for cancer research and treatments, specifically for children's research. I know, I know, r3v is a bunch of broke kids. But, I did actually receive one donation already from the forum, which was a pleasant surprise. And every little bit counts!

I need to raise $2500 minimum to participate - I'm at $1545 right now. I have until June 16th to raise the rest of the money. We're also having a fundraiser at a local Pub, if any local guys want to come (tickets are $20, include a burger and a beer, and there's auction items and raffle prizes).

Once I've raised $2500, I get to participate in the ride, which is from southern BC, Canda to Seattle, WA, over 2 days. I did it back in 2009, and it was a lot of fun. Plus, I have a much nicer bike this year, so it should be even better!

Anyway, I'm sure many of you have been touched by cancer. We've definitely had forum members directly affected. I remember one person who actually died, and RobertK, who fought it off. I know many people who've died from cancer (who weren't neccesarily smokers or unhealthy). Any small donation will make a difference - and if you itemize your taxes, donations over $25 will receive a tax receipt to write it off.

here's my donation page:

thanks in advance for any contributions!
    Last edited by nando; 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

On it buddy!
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Official R3v Donor List:

Thanks to all of the generous people on r3v, I was able to easily pass my goal of raising $2500! :D

Total raised by r3v: $1150!!!

mammoth_e30
      Guten Parts
      samiam3356
      M-technik-3
      acolella76
      evoDRichie
      bestwheelbase
      Slippery
      Nick_S
      Blunttech.com
      mbonanni
      WOT-Tech
      Kershaw
      PeaveyBassist
      gwb72tii
      Jgood
      Jean
      Hoveringguy
      Eric Wong
      Nick Brema
      Michael Colby
      Richard Dufford
      RobertK
      E30 Memorial
      Sean
      FunfGan
      FredK
      rede30
      MR325

some people I couldn't remember or find the SN for, if you want your real name changed let me know..
      Last edited by nando; 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando, If you want to do a raffle on the r3v, I can donate a brand new Bimmerfest 2012 t-shirt (XL) and license plate frame as a raffle prize. I will ship directly to the winner (on my dime).
        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

hey, that's actually a good idea.

I might have some stuff I could come up with for that. Maybe an M50 harness conversion, or cluster refurb. Also, I quite literally have a trailer full of E30 parts in my garage that I don't need. LOL

But, how to organize it? Auction?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            hey, that's actually a good idea.

I might have some stuff I could come up with for that. Maybe an M50 harness conversion, or cluster refurb. Also, I quite literally have a trailer full of E30 parts in my garage that I don't need. LOL

But, how to organize it? Auction?
            Ask for donations in $5 increments. Each $5 earns a "ticket" or one chance to win a prize. For items like the M50 harness, people who want that should say so when they donate - you can group those people into a drawing for that prize.

Comment

okay, how much interest would there be in raffling off an M50 harness conversion or two? I don't want to do it if I only get like $25 in donations, it costs around $50 just in parts, not including time spent. :)

here's a pic of my work:
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                okay, how much interest would there be in raffling off an M50 harness conversion or two? I don't want to do it if I only get like $25 in donations, it costs around $50 just in parts, not including time spent. :)

here's a pic of my work:
                You should post this on the 24V forum ;)

Comment

Posting here to remind myself to donate when I get paid
                  -Alex

Comment

Great cause. I am going to specialize in pediatric oncology in light of my sister's bone cancer and all my money is going into school so I can get there. But if research can kill off cancer then I'd happily move to a different specialty. Good luck!

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                    No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

bone cancer, that's pretty awful. I hope your sister recovers!
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks, but that was in 2009. She took to the chemo/rad/bone marrow transplant and she's a happy college sophomore now.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                        No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Best of wishes to your sister in her fight against bone cancer.
                          My grandmother is a breast cancer surviver. One of my aunts died from colon cancer, when her son, my cousin who was shipped away to Canada afterwards, was only 5 years old.

I will try to donate some to your cause later next week.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by Desaevious View Post
                            Thanks, but that was in 2009. She took to the chemo/rad/bone marrow transplant and she's a happy college sophomore now.
                            I'm glad, dang, she was pretty young then? basically high school? Nobody in high school imagines getting cancer that young. I sure didn't.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                              Best of wishes to your sister in her fight against bone cancer.
                              My grandmother is a breast cancer surviver. One of my aunts died from colon cancer, when her son, my cousin who was shipped away to Canada afterwards, was only 5 years old.

I will try to donate some to your cause later next week.
                              thanks! :)
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X