Spark Plug Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Question

Hey guys, I'm in a pickle. It's not a huge pickle or even life-threatening, but I'm slightly stumped.

I went to the parts store today to grab new spark plugs. When I finally got to changing them, I noticed that the plugs the auto parts store gave me have fixed terminal studs on the plugs, and they are unable to be screwed off to reveal the threaded terminal stud.

Basically I need the correct plugs with removable terminal nuts as the plug wires currently on the car do not accept plugs with terminal nuts!

I'm stumped - which plugs are correct for a stock motor, but have the removal terminal nuts?

Photo from my car.

I need plugs that look like the left plugs, but not the right. The only way I can make this happen is if the plugs have the removable terminal nut.

HELP!

Thanks guys,
    Ryan
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

If you are certain they are fixed, take them back and see if they have another brand that doesn't have fixed nuts.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

What plug wires are you running, sure they dont all have caps stuck in them already?

I've not seen a fixed plug before, so I'd vover the terminal cap in tape or paper and have a real go at unscrewing the cap. Also have not seen a set of wires that wont accomodate capped plugs for the M42.

Comment

Are you sure they are not removable? I once had a set of plugs that I had to put in a vise to be able to unscrew the caps.

If not, reference the supp. section on realoem for the spark plug models you can use:

Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          If you are certain they are fixed, take them back and see if they have another brand that doesn't have fixed nuts.
          I did this, and every replacement plug that met the specs for an m42 had fixed terminal nut.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          What plug wires are you running, sure they dont all have caps stuck in them already?

I've not seen a fixed plug before, so I'd vover the terminal cap in tape or paper and have a real go at unscrewing the cap. Also have not seen a set of wires that wont accomodate capped plugs for the M42.
          I am not sure of the particular wires. I only know that they are running reasonably well and doing their job transporting electricity to the plugs. I haven't checked if the caps are stuck in them already. I'll check today!

Originally posted by noid View Post
          Are you sure they are not removable? I once had a set of plugs that I had to put in a vise to be able to unscrew the caps.

If not, reference the supp. section on realoem for the spark plug models you can use:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1497

I'm sure. I also put them on a vice and twisted. I finally snapped the rod that travels through the spark plug's body. It came out in a 1.5" piece of metal with a very prominent snap. Definiteley fixed, as the cap is not removable.
          sigpic

Comment

Every m42 I've had has always had the full diameter plug top. Also the proper plugs that are available at most auto part stores are NGK BKR6EK-4 or 2288 at oreilly's or Autozone.

Edit: also, we are fairly close, so if you want a set of bremi wires that for sure work with the capped plugs let me know and they are yours for the cost of shipping
            Last edited by Balleristic31; 01-12-2017, 11:24 PM.

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
              Every m42 I've had has always had the full diameter plug top. Also the proper plugs that are available at most auto part stores are NGK BKR6EK-4 or 2288 at oreilly's or Autozone.

Edit: also, we are fairly close, so if you want a set of bremi wires that for sure work with the capped plugs let me know and they are yours for the cost of shipping
              Thank you Nick!

I found a really nice set of bremi wires in the warehouse for an m42, so I used those instead, along with new NGK 2288s.

All is well with the world, again.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X