3L crank into M52B28 alloy block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

let us know how it goes
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith alone does not prove anything."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

So basically lets get shit straight,

M54 330 Crank, Got that.
      M52 Block, with pistons, Got that
      and Non- vanos connecting rods,
      M3 Cams still looking.

how much do u have to mill the pistons by?

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

call Pete @ Precision Performance in Winston Salem SC.
        "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith alone does not prove anything."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by chuck90m3 View Post
          call Pete @ in Winston Salem SC.
          do u have thier website/url?

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

there is no website just call them.

before you ask me for the number try:

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

^ thanx.

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

my pleasure

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

DO NOT USE non-VANOS rods. They are heavy, and not any stronger than an M52 rod (also the same length). The only motor that came with anything other than 135mm rods would be the M50TU. Everything else = 135mm. I shoud know, I built a 2850cc stroked M50.
                  That is all.
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

listen to him "he should know" he built an engine

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Newer parts are usually better. But building a motor is complicated. Not my forte.

M20 / M50 / M50TU

Comment

Yes i agree

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Just a few emails I recently received that may be of some interest here, concerning using the aluminum 2.8 block as a starting point:

"The last race build was in the 260-270 range. at a displacement of 2.9 with a 3.0 crank with cams,forged 12.8 to 1 pistons coated, solid lifters, lightened crank, head work, total seal rings, rods, around 11,000" - Chuck Stickley

"The aluminum block allows you to build an engine that replaces the S-14 four cylinder M-3 with a much more streetable piece that weighs the same. Handling is unchanged. The aluminum block is good for about 84.5mm max bore. The iron block can go to 86.6, so the final displacement is higher. Good cams and some head work should get you 300hp. The most successful race motors I built used the long (140mm) rods from the '93 and up 325. Special pistons are necessary withthe 3.2 crank. I have retired from engine building, but there are a number of good suppliers out there. Mr. M Car in Farmington, N.J. has done some outstanding work for my former customers. Don Fields is the man." - Pete McHenry

I assume Stickley meant "260-270" rwhp.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                          You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

M50NV on left, M52 on right. Both are 135mm. The NV rod is about 150-200 grams heavier than the M52 rod.
                            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck90m3 View Post
                              I have not seen any websites with write ups.
                              Everything you need to know (except how to read German;)

Go to menu on left, Motoren/M50
                              M50 optimierung, (M50 improvements)
                              M50 Hubraumvergroesserung (-making motor bigger!)

M52 is a completely reworked engine compared to M50. Every single component has been re-designed and made lighter, better, etc. There is alot of technical data on that website. Have a look.

Drew I am jealous. Not only do you already have the 2.8 but now youre going for 3? Do it!

BTW, if I am not mistaken, increasing crank throw increases torque, with a very little -if any- power increase (esp at these capacity changes). But thats even better in my book. Torque rules!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post

M50NV on left, M52 on right. Both are 135mm. The NV rod is about 150-200 grams heavier than the M52 rod.
                                nice, well played. good info to know.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X