Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone changed from airbag to non airbag steering wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone changed from airbag to non airbag steering wheel?

My e34 came with airbag steering wheel, purchased another steering wheel non airbag type which was designed for the e34 /e30 but when I pulled off the airbag found the spindle shaft was thciker and different splines so it didn't fit.

I was(I'm still) looking for a parted out e34 to buy the steering column to retrofit it completly in my car (non airbag) but can't find any. After looking through REALOEM is not clear enough the notes each different P/N for the spindle shaft for what type were made.

I ended up purchasing this shaft alone 32 31 1 156 068

Sure enough I would need the flange and all the clips/washer/springs etc to adapt it, but at this point I'm unsure if it will actually fit in the original column.

I think some people has done this swap but I can't find the detailed parts involved in this change.

Any clues?

Thanks

Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

I removed the SRS in my touring (92) using a e36 mtech non SRS wheel and removing the lights in the cluster. as for fitting a early steering shaft to allow e30 wheels I would think that the amount of retrofitting that it would take wouldn't be worth it. you'd probably need to get everything from the wheel to the steering gear
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

I0m really not concern about the costs, and it can't be that much, just need to figure out the correct parts so I don't order twice and get new parts laying arround with out use and waste of money.

I really want to do this conversion because I sourced a brand new Nardi Blackline series (NLA) and even the instructions says is for the e30/34 series but I didn't know the airbag spindle shaft was bigger.

Here are some shots...

A e30 spindle shaft was way different also. By far larger and didn't fit at all. Also the SRS steering spindle has a bolt to secure the wheel while the non SRS spindle shaft use a nut/washer to secure the wheel.

Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Wow that steering wheel is going to look amazing on your E34 Diego. Good luck getting it installed!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

diego, i think the issue you are running into is that early and late e34s have different columns, it has nothing to do with airbag/non airbag. the switch happened sometime around mid 1992.

the best way to accomplish this would be to take the entire upper column from an early e34 and bolt it on. i believe it is a direct swap.

i have a late (94) e34 and was able to go from airbag to non-airbag (both late model steering wheels) with with zero modification. bolts right on.

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
            Wow that steering wheel is going to look amazing on your E34 Diego. Good luck getting it installed!

Looks like I will need it JP! Thanks for the wish :p

Originally posted by straight6pwr
            diego, i think the issue you are running into is that early and late e34s have different columns, it has nothing to do with airbag/non airbag. the switch happened sometime around mid 1992.

the best way to accomplish this would be to take the entire upper column from an early e34 and bolt it on. i believe it is a direct swap.

i have a late (94) e34 and was able to go from airbag to non-airbag (both late model steering wheels) with with zero modification. bolts right on.
            That is very possible. My M5 is June 1992 build, maybe is the very first batch of cars with the updated shaft Anyways, that's what I'm really looking to do, find a used/wrecked early e34 and steal the column shaft :devil: and swap the damn thing into my car and make me horny to have my new steering wheel installed

Someone else in the M5 board showed me two M Tech 2 steering wheels, one was direct bolt on in his e34 (not so sure if it was early or late model) and the other wouldn't bolt up. So looks like, for example, the M Tech 2 wheels has two size (P/N's) for the spindle shaft, smaller and bigger.

Of course it does fit correctly in my e30 M3 but not in my M5

Comment

yeah, so if the early mtech II wheel didn't fit, you have the late model splines. the early mtech II has flat cross spokes, the late the spokes slant downward as they go out.
              Attached Files

Comment

Info on steering wheels here:

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                  yeah, so if the early mtech II wheel didn't fit, you have the late model splines. the early mtech II has flat cross spokes, the late the spokes slant downward as they go out.

Interesting, but sure enough I have the early M tech 2 in my e30. This means the late M Tech 2 is only made to fit for SRS or thicker spindle?

Anyways, looks like I need to find a complete steering column to replace mine :( Too much of a headache to figure out what new arts I need.

Originally posted by AndrewBird
                  Thanks. Wish that thread could have even more detailed info about swapping a non SRS wheel into a SRS e34 quipped :o

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
                    Interesting, but sure enough I have the early M tech 2 in my e30. This means the late M Tech 2 is only made to fit for SRS or thicker spindle?
                    late mtech 2 fits late e34s, late e32s, e36s and i think e31. has nothing to do with airbag or not. spindle size is the same for e34s of the same model year with airbag or not.

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
                    Thanks. Wish that thread could have even more detailed info about swapping a non SRS wheel into a SRS e34 quipped :o
                    there is nothing you need to know. they fit interchangeably. if you want to get rid of the SRS light, you have to bridge the connector with the appropriate resistor to trick the system that the airbag wheel is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                      late mtech 2 fits late e34s, late e32s, e36s and i think e31. has nothing to do with airbag or not. spindle size is the same for e34s of the same model year with airbag or not.

there is nothing you need to know. they fit interchangeably. if you want to get rid of the SRS light, you have to bridge the connector with the appropriate resistor to trick the system that the airbag wheel is still there.
                      That's my last concern about the light and yes I do know how to bridge it, have done that in the past :p

So, looks like all in all, I need to check any e34 from 88-late 91 that has the smaller spindle shaft to make the whole swap and accept my Nardi wheel.

Comment

Diego, did you ever get this accomplished?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Diego, did you ever get this accomplished?
                          Not yet Can't find a used early e34 steering column. Turns out it doesn't matter if is a non SRS or SRS, butproduction date seems like in mid 90 onwards they changed to thicker shaft so basically what I need is a early e34 steering column to make the swap.

Comment

How about this? Supposedly it's from an 89 525i. If you need help shipping to Peru I'd be willing to ship it to my house and then ship it down to you. Would be fairly expensive for you though paying shipping twice.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

How about this? Supposedly it's from an 89 525i. If you need help shipping to Peru I'd be willing to ship it to my house and then ship it down to you. Would be fairly expensive for you though paying shipping twice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-525I-E34-..._GZOag&vxp=mtr
                              Hey JP, that looks like it could work, I would need to send a text to the seller asking input shaft dimater for the wheel as is not pictured and I can't confirm if is what I need.

Thanks!

PS: No worries for shipping it, I can do that easily sending to FL and from there to Peru (although we can't import used parts , customs will confiscate it, but I have some tricks....;) )

Comment

Working...
                              X