Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best M42 Mods

Hey Guys,

I should be getting a 318is in good mechanical condition soon and was wondering what the best modifications to perform on one were? Preferably cheap modifications tho because I don't have too much money.

Originally posted by bannre10 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I should be getting a 318is in good mechanical condition soon and was wondering what the best modifications to perform on one were? Preferably cheap modifications tho because I don't have too much money.
    First off make sure everything is up to par.
    Intake vacuum leaks are notorious on M42's due to the rats nest of lines under the intake.

Then the mods can start. A good chip is always a great improvement on the M42.
    Here in the US MarkD seems to be the preferred choice.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

^MarkD chip, Coil-on-plug kit, lighter FW. Not crazy light, makes it a bit trickier to drive. I have a 19lb non-ac FW & clutch on my M42.
      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

mustang injectors 4pintle.

Comment

If you go mustang injectors, make sure they are at least 19 lb/hr but less than 23 lb/hr. that seems to be the sweet range. Free-flowing cat back also helps, supersprint really being the best. You'll read a lot about M20 flywheels, but larger diameter and larger clutch pack means about the same overall mass. I have one machined down to 15 lbs and it's nice, but the only reason I went with an M20 one is to keep up with the turbo.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

The best cheap mods:

1) CAI - 100.00
            2) DME chip, MarkD or similar (Ebay) - 30.00 (Ebay) - 200.00 (markD)
            3) Advance intake cam - Free
            4) Freeflowing catback - From 100.00

Good, but not so cheap:

1) M20 clutch and flywheel setup
            2) COP
            3) 4.45 diff (?)

Comment

Originally posted by mr ilia View Post
              The best cheap mods:

1) CAI - 100.00
              2) DME chip, MarkD or similar (Ebay) - 30.00 (Ebay) - 200.00 (markD)
              3) Advance intake cam - Free
              4) Freeflowing catback - From 100.00

Good, but not so cheap:

1) M20 clutch and flywheel setup
              2) COP
              3) 4.45 diff (?)
              CAI does nothing and advancing the intake cam only moved the powerband up higher, really stupid to do if you use it as a street car.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
              VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                  CAI does nothing and advancing the intake cam only moved the powerband up higher, really stupid to do if you use it as a street car.
                  CAI will only help if you use it in a combination of mods.
                  Agree as CAI only is help less.

Correct - Cam advance does not "add" any power, but it does help to generate power faster while in the top end.

Another good part of advancing the cam is the "feel" of power comming alive around 4.5k RPM, you feel this nice kick in the butt...once the motor goes past the 4500 rpm you can feel the small surge of power and faster acceleration with out extra throttle push. Very sweet spot...I love this feeling during acceleration.

Comment

What is the difference between a ac and non ac flywheel?
                    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Non-AC ones are singlemass and a lot lighter. Never available in the US.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Any write ups on advancing cam timing?

-NICK

Comment

super easy to do. pull valve cover. loosen cam gears on desired cam to advance. rotate clockwise till you reach your desired advance. clockwise when standing directly in front of your car.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                          Ig:ryno_pzk
                          I like the tuna here.
                          Originally posted by lambo
                          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                            Non-AC ones are singlemass and a lot lighter. Never available in the US.
                            Really?

My 318i didn't have AC...interesting.

Comment

So what is better a markd chip or a turner motorsports one I saw on pelican parts. Also I live in Australia. would markd do international shipping?

Comment

Working...
                              X