No announcement yet.

Building a e30 for the 24 hours of Lemons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea I agree. I was not there for the rear set up. The car was at a team members that is the electric guy. Since we have no more dash we pulled the igintion and steering lock a panel needed to be fabricated.. Plus rewired the lights and fan. I have the cutters and welders so next week we can do the adjustments to the pearches.

We have another set of pearches, so I want to cut off that block and weld a flat pearch on the car then either cut or put in a shorter spring.

I think due to time we are going to run it as you see it this weekend in our autoX.
    Its sitting way to high, but were can drop the front and then see what we can do with the rear.

More next week.
    Last edited by bam2002; 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Back from a weekend Auto X..
      The car did really well, Running stock swaybars, street tires and our Ebay spring kit.
      The car sits to high so we will drop it another inch . The slotted towers added enough camber so we didnt eat the outside edges.

Here are some photos.

We also took out another car to try.. Non Lemons

Comment

Lookin' good! I'd like to take our car to an autocross, but it's currently sans-exhaust and loud as hell. We'll eventually cut the cat off which will render it non road legal.

BTW is that a single hood pin I see? I'm pretty sure we're going to run hood pins on our car too.
        The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Yep we were in a rush so only 1 hood pin was installed. We will get the other one installed before the race. With the front end damage I have seen at past lemons races I would think hood pins are a must. It would really suck to have the hood get smashed and not be able to open it. OR close it again.

We towed this car to the site, but I do have a plate for a e30.. The plate is mainly so that I dont get hasseled by the zoning for having the car parked in the yard.

We also plan to take it out to a Oval track with 2 other lemons cars in May to do a shakedown.. test run..

Barry

Comment

Yup, agreed about the hood pins. I was on the Saabs Gone Wild team last year and front end damage did cause the hood not to open. We'll be getting rid of the factory latching mechanism up front altogether. It's nice that the hood bump stops in front are in the perfect spot for the pins.

Unfortunately we don't have a trailer, and will have to rent one for the race, so getting down to the local auto-x isn't so easy.
            The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Looks like we are going to run the car in a Rallycross on dirt in 2 weeks. so the high suspension will be needed.
              Then we will lower it.. for the next test and tune.

For those who have cars in the Central FL area. ( west of Gainsville) We will have access to a paved Oval with an infield on 5-10 or 5-11. It would be cool if a few other Lemons cars showed up to do a test and tune. Get some hands on doing door to door driving.
              If interested email or PM me email me at bam2002 @ verizon, net

Comment

I got a question about your cage is this exhaust tubing?

Comment

nope its tubing that is used to build dragsters. The rail kind.

Comment

Today Team EURO Trash took our German engineered vehicle out to the local Dirt track.. yeee haaw.. There also was a Rally cross going on in the other lot. We took the car out for the rallycross also but had some brake problems. But that was after we filmed the oval racing.

The track was actually clay, pretty packed but had ruts and bumps.
                    This was a great way to run the car hard and bounce the crap out of it. We found out our Airflow meter was loose. ( zip ties rule ) The Battery box was not tight enough and the brake booster vacume lines are leaking. Suspension held together very well, Gotta love those Ebay spring kits.

Here is some video from todays testing...

Now we need to fix brakes, check vacume lines. Get the racing seat put in.

Comment

Bump. Did you guys get to the Texas race?
                      '89 325i track sloot
                      '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Nope the 2nd CMP race we broke the car bad.
                        So bad that it took 3 months to figure out what was wrong.. 3 months and 3 mechanics.

Here is our team site..

Good news is car is fixed.. We are accepted to run the Sept CMP.. 3 times a charm they say , lets see how we do.

Comment

Working...
                        X