Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Symptoms Of Transfer Case Chain Stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms Of Transfer Case Chain Stretch?

Title says it all. I got my iX 3 years ago and it was driven HARD! I just rebuilt the engine and it's running sweet.

However it seems to have a jerk inbetween 1-3 gear shifts. (lets not jump on the "your shifting sucks" bandwagon) There is also a low thud that comes from the rear of the car when a shift is completed.

Since the rebuild of the engine I have installed new guibos in both the front and rear driveshafts.

To be clear this problem has been there since I got the car.

My concern is that the 16year old pervious driver streched the chain in the transfer case.

Thoughts, comments, advice appreciated

Jack test revealed that the VC is about 75% Not great but not bad enough to replace.
    [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

the chain doesn't really stretch. it might see some wear overtime, but basically, unless it was run dry of fluids it's not going to be significant.

there's always some backlash in the drivetrain.

it sounds like your bushings are simply shot.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      it sounds like your bushings are simply shot.
      Taking about the diff and transfer/trans bushings ?

Comment

subframe and trailing arm most likely
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

There was huge difference between my old and new chain. Chain itself doesn't stretch, its the jointments of the chain which wear out and make it loose :D lol
          Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
          https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

I know, it can wear - but it's a common, and incorrect meme that the ix transfercase chain "stretches".

I have a 225,000 mile chain that is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new one I had - it was looser, of course, but it wasn't any longer.

almost always the VC will be shot long before the chain wears out.. and the poor car will probably get parted due to rust & neglect. it's depressing to think about how many are parted out.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was quoted $1,600 for a new chain. Where do you guys get yours from?

Comment

uhh, wow, from a dealer? a whole transfercase is only ~$2500!

should be about $300.. you can get them stateside. I can't remember the manufacturer anymore.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X