No announcement yet.

m6x intake manifold and throttle body upgrade info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I have a question on CCVs now. This is the plate/valve assembly bolted on the back of these manifolds, shown below, on an unidentified manifold:

I noticed on realOEM that each manifold type uses a different one of these. Are they interchangeable? When we upgrade our M62s with early M60B40 intakes, do we swap over the M62 CCV, or retain the M60B40 CCV?

Thanks guys.

Comment

anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        Ordered an m62b44 (non-vanos) throttle body. It arrived today, no wedge installed. Otherwise it's identical to the m60 TB. I'm not expecting it to be a huge improvement, but every little bit helps. And for the price, there's no reason not to.

any idea what is the diameter of M62B35&M62B44 throttle bodies ??

Comment

I believe all of the 4.0 & higher engines have a 78 mm throttle.

Comment

Is there any reason why you couldn't remove the wedge from the TB, or is it just not worth it?

Comment

It's bolted on, you'd be left with two holes.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I get that but couldn't the holes be welded up? What material is the blade made of? Is something you'd even notice anyways? So many questions!

Comment

Originally posted by NateE30 View Post
                  I get that but couldn't the holes be welded up? What material is the blade made of? Is something you'd even notice anyways? So many questions!
                  I have no idea, probably aluminum, maybe it's coated too. For the price of an m62 TB, I don't see any reason to mess with all that. I'm all for DIY stuff, but that's a step in the wrong direction, IMO.
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I've never priced a M62 TB so I guess I didn't know they were cheap..

Comment

Originally posted by iamsam View Post
                      Ok I have a question on CCVs now. This is the plate/valve assembly bolted on the back of these manifolds, shown below, on an unidentified manifold:

I noticed on realOEM that each manifold type uses a different one of these. Are they interchangeable? When we upgrade our M62s with early M60B40 intakes, do we swap over the M62 CCV, or retain the M60B40 CCV?

Thanks guys.
                      i have a m62 and when i bought it it didnt have the ccv plate. i pulled one from a junk yard off of a m60 and it dosnt seem to fit.

if anyone has some info on this it would be great.
                      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by iamsam View Post

Thanks guys.
                        The CCV is interchangeable. The difference is the center tube. If you're going to be running a manifold with the center tube, you want the M62 CCV. If you have a manifold that doesn't use it (or you're just not running it), you want the M60 CCV. The difference is the M62 CCV has a port in the center surrounded by an o-ring that opens right into the center of the manifold (designed to work with the center tube). The M60 CCV doesn't have this, and just has a flat surface in this area.

There are actually 3 different styles of large runner M60/M62 non-vanos manifold. In order of production, there's the type with the velocity stacks, the type with the squared-off ports, and the type with the rounded ports (no trumpets). One big difference the rounded port version has that the other two don't that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the provision for the center vent tube that was used in the M62. It is only the 3rd style of manifold with the rounded ports has the provision up front to secure the end of the center tube.

From what I've read, the center tube was introduced because the original M60 design had the CCV venting all of the crap at the back of the manifold, where it was being fed straight to the back two cylinders. This was causing these two cylinders to get gunked up, causing the oil control rings to stick, and the motor to start burning oil. The center vent tube alleviates this by dumping this stuff in the center / front of the manifold, which causes it to be more evenly dispersed. Makes sense to me

e: Not my pic, found this on the internet. M60 on top, M62 on the bottom
                        Last edited by Black88GTA; 05-09-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

M60B30 mani/TB swap from non-V m62b44; problems!

I recently did this swap on my m60b30 using the manifold from a non vanos m62b44 but I'm having problems with getting it to run properly.

Do I need to do any tuning to the system for it to accept the bigger manifold and throttle body from that engine?

Part of my problem is that I ordered a new CCV plate and got the one with that extra 90 degree vacuum connection that my old CCV plate didn't have. I had initially just capped it with a hose and nut but subsequently could barely get the damn car started or running very long until I removed it. Was considering using the old one but figured it would act similar to this one with it capped, dunno.

So now it starts and runs much better without it being capped but I now have a massive vacuum leak and all the issues associated with that. I'm going to check over the fuel system and hunt for any vacuum leaks again. Someone else suggested it should run fine with it capped and that it sounds like I have an issue with fuel pressure or more vacuum leaks (there's always more leaks right).

I just wanted to make sure that doing this manifold/ throttle body swap (supposing no vacuum leaks or fuel issues) is just a straight parts change and requires no special tuning or chips etc. Need to get this thing off the stand and back on the road but I'm out of ideas, been through almost every vacuum related hose, gasket, tube, oring etc. Put new TB & CCV gaskets on and manifold gaskets during the swap, has new FP regulator, injectors out of the donor m62b44 but changed their orings and all kinds of little things so I'm not sure where to look anymore.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I have M60B44 (E39 1996) so I have this manifold:

My questions is - Could I replaced my manifold with M60B40?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Black88GTA View Post
                              The CCV is interchangeable. The difference is the center tube. If you're going to be running a manifold with the center tube, you want the M62 CCV. If you have a manifold that doesn't use it (or you're just not running it), you want the M60 CCV. The difference is the M62 CCV has a port in the center surrounded by an o-ring that opens right into the center of the manifold (designed to work with the center tube). The M60 CCV doesn't have this, and just has a flat surface in this area.

There are actually 3 different styles of large runner M60/M62 non-vanos manifold. In order of production, there's the type with the velocity stacks, the type with the squared-off ports, and the type with the rounded ports (no trumpets). One big difference the rounded port version has that the other two don't that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the provision for the center vent tube that was used in the M62. It is only the 3rd style of manifold with the rounded ports has the provision up front to secure the end of the center tube.

From what I've read, the center tube was introduced because the original M60 design had the CCV venting all of the crap at the back of the manifold, where it was being fed straight to the back two cylinders. This was causing these two cylinders to get gunked up, causing the oil control rings to stick, and the motor to start burning oil. The center vent tube alleviates this by dumping this stuff in the center / front of the manifold, which causes it to be more evenly dispersed. Makes sense to me

e: Not my pic, found this on the internet. M60 on top, M62 on the bottom
                              One post wonder here. :) Interesting info

Comment

Working...
                              X