'89 316i E30 LS1 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fans are made by Maradyne, identical to these below

Free Shipping - Maradyne Jetstreme Electric Fans with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fans, Electric at Summit Racing.

Maradyne's website has more technical info/instructions/etc on them.

There's also another version by Summit/Maradyne with more powerful motors (3100CFM vs 2600CFM) and it's thicker by only about 8mm according to the specs (the extra depth is only the motors themselves since they're larger. The shroud itself appears to be the same). I would go with these if I were to do it again as there's more than enough space in my setup for the extra fan motor depth.

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ High-Output Electric Fans with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fans, Electric at Summit Racing.

Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 03-30-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I think the brakes need to be bigger.
          Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
          '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
          Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
          1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
          Check us out
          Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Nice! its always good to see a video update, even though its short.
            First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

If you're using a Skyline R32 radiator like me, these are the hoses to use

Lower Hose (direct fit no trimming)
              Gates 23551

Upper Hose (trim ends as necessary)
              Gates 20873

This is assuming you use Sikky swap mounts, LS1 water pump with F-Body/GTO belt spacing.

I'll post up pictures soon.

Comment

My wheels didn't clear the calipers, so I picked up these 10mm spacers

Fits perfect

Once that was out of the way I disassembled the rear end to install a bunch of upgrades (axles, 8 bolt diff, rear brakes, etc)

I'm still missing a couple things to finish up the rear end so while parts arrive I tackled the interior

The sound deadening and carpet is now complete. I'll get updated pics soon. Also swapped out the steering wheel for a MOMO and installed a shifter boot to seal up that hole.

Comment

damn this thing is beautiful
                  e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

More info on the diff mods plaese
                    sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Well, I welded Garagistic plates for the diff mounting holes and used their 2nd ear diff bracket. That's as far as I've gone with diff reinforcement mods.
                      The diff itself is a 188mm 4-plate BMW Motorsport diff which I've refreshed with new clutch discs and plates. and has poly bushings on both mounting ears.
                      Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 02-20-2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Haven't touched my E30 in almost a month now, but I did finish the rear end. The reinforced subframe was reinstalled along with the 188mm diff, upgraded axles, E36Ti rear arms with new rear wheel bearings, e-brake cables/shoes/etc and Massive/Wilwood 4-piston BBK.

I got a new Tilton 3-in-1 brake/clutch reservoir a few days back to replace my leaky wilwood reservoirs. Gonna be installing it on the driver's side to clean up the hoses.

In the meantime we were finishing off my friend's 5.7 LS1 swapped 2001 TJ Wrangler. Started it up today and all is good.

Comment

Video of the TJ!

Comment

Is that the 52mm thick r32 rad?
                            We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
                              Is that the 52mm thick r32 rad?
                              No idea how thick it is. It's the only Mishimoto Skyline R32 rad available.

Comment

Finished installing the rear diff along with all the reinforcement parts, the CATuned axles, E36Ti RTA's for disc brake conversion, new rear wheel bearings, new parking brake cables and parking brake shoes & springs, Wilwood/Massive BBK all 4 corners with spacers up front, swapped out the passenger-side mounted individual Wilwood brake/clutch reservoirs for a Tilton 3-in-1 setup mounted on the driver's side. Redid all the plumbing and bleeding. Also finished the interior carpeting, new MOMO steering wheel, dropped the column about 1.5 inches, replaced some of the old fuel tank vent hoses which were cracked badly, and installed front ebay fogs (car had no foglight option from factory). Still gotta wire them up along with the horns. But for now it's driveable again and it's feels/sounds so much better with the sound deadener under the carpeting. I still have some more I might use in other areas. Also installed a shifter boot. That hole was pissing me off. Got a few more things in mind before I consider it "complete".

Comment

Working...
                                X