m20b20 diff swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20b20 diff swap

Hello everyone, first time posting here, so please correct me if i'm posting in the wrong sub-forum.

My car is an '89 320i with an m20b20 engine. The diff has been humming for quite a while and i decided it is time for a change. My current diff is an open 4.10 and driving at about 100 km/h i get around 3k rpms which is kind of high imo. I was thinking about a 3.91 swap. Is it worth swapping it? Would i get significantly lower rpms at higher speeds? I mainly do city driving but would like to go on longer trips in summer

you may like the 3.25 ratio differential. In my e30 at 135kph I am turning 3000rpm. makes the car a 4 speed with a true overdrive feel, much like an old school car

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      you may like the 3.25 ratio differential. In my e30 at 135kph I am turning 3000rpm. makes the car a 4 speed with a true overdrive feel, much like an old school car
      Won't the acceleration suffer? It's already kind of slow when starting to move

Comment

With you having a b20, I would suggest go ahead with the 3.91. You won't lose a lot of acceleration, but you will have better fuel economy and only slightly lower RPM at speed.

Use this calculator to see you various speed/RPM differentials when swapping gears...

john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

ForcedFirebird;4771898 I was thinking about a 3.91 swap in my son 1986 325es stick shift want do you think.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/rearendgearcalc.html[/QUOTE]

Comment

The 86es came with a 2.93, with a 5500rpm red line, it's not going to be fun. You would be better off with a 3.25 for more acceleration, 3.73 is the max I would go.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              The 86es came with a 2.93, with a 5500rpm red line, it's not going to be fun. You would be better off with a 3.25 for more acceleration, 3.73 is the max I would go.
              Thank you for taking your time to answer.

Comment

I'm confused, you're saying that a lower gear ratio (3.25) is better for acceleration?

Higher top speed or lower cruising rpm's = lower gear ratio
                Faster acceleration, lower top end with higher rpms = higher gear ratio.

There several different online calculators that can be utilized to find estimated rpm at different speeds. The goods ones will require the input of tire size as well.

OP: I have an excel sheet that can be used if you'd like and it will estimate your RPM across all gears and speeds with tire and gear ratio input.
                Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                Check us out
                Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
                  I'm confused, you're saying that a lower gear ratio (3.25) is better for acceleration?

There several different online calculators that can be utilized to find estimated rpm at different speeds. The goods ones will require the input of tire size as well.

OP: I have an excel sheet that can be used if you'd like and it will estimate your RPM across all gears and speeds with tire and gear ratio input.
                  I think he might be comparing the 3.25 to the 2.93 that originally comes with the car.

Comment

130 mph top speed or lower cruising rpm's = lower gear ratio
                    The diff's not the top speed limiter in a stock E30 until you get to a 4.10...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      The diff's not the top speed limiter in a stock E30 until you get to a 4.10...

t
                      Not really much different than the 3.73 and 4.10, both are aero-limited lol.

I have had both to terminal velocity at Daytona 5th gear flat out, these bricks can't do much over 135mph (on the GPS, 150 indicated) with a stock-ish m20's. The 4.10 will just get you there quicker, and you only lose about 500rpm on shifts.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

With you having a b20, I would suggest go ahead with the 3.91. You won't lose a lot of acceleration, but you will have better fuel economy and only slightly lower RPM at speed.

Use this calculator to see you various speed/RPM differentials when swapping gears...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/rearendgearcalc.html
                        Originally posted by sgtskid View Post

Check out the link I posted earlier, or do you have one you made for the getrag already?

I am saying that a 3.25 will accelerate quicker than a 2.93. You have it backwards, the lower the number, the higher the speed since it's a ratio to 1.

Engine spins 3.25 times for one wheel rotation vs 2.93 (in 4th gear).
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

the 3.25 acceleration is not THAT slow. people talk up and down like your car is going to be a slug but its not. If you suck at shifting, or if your car has a super heavy flywheel for delayed shift times (cough cough m42) then you may be about the same to 60 since you dont have an extra up-shift. Taking second gear to 70mph is alot of fun and having 4th gear to buzz along at 60mph is a nice kind of speed limiter.

My m42 gutted sedan with the 3.25lsd is faster than a bone stock e30 325is. m42 power!

You cant have an all in one diff. I love my tall gears - and with my prosthetic leg the versatility works out very nicely. The sweet spot for me is my 3.46 diff that I am building and will be installing soon :)

Comment

Originally posted by youngmineeh View Post
                            I think he might be comparing the 3.25 to the 2.93 that originally comes with the car.
                            Read it again. That makes sense.

Check out the link I posted earlier, or do you have one you made for the getrag already?

I am saying that a 3.25 will accelerate quicker than a 2.93. You have it backwards, the lower the number, the higher the speed since it's a ratio to 1.

Engine spins 3.25 times for one wheel rotation vs 2.93 (in 4th gear).

The sheet I have is actually set up for a T-56 but the gear ratios can be changed easily. It's a basic sheet but I created it so I could see everything at once. The sheet works two ways: 1. input speed, diff ratio, tire size, and desired gear and it'll output the estimated RPM for that gear and speed. 2. using previous input information and setting a rev limit will allow the user to see at what speed, in each gear, the engine would red line.

Let's see if the above link works.
                            Last edited by sgtskid; 04-21-2017, 06:07 AM.
                            Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                            '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                            Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                            1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                            Check us out
                            Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                              the 3.25 acceleration is not THAT slow. people talk up and down like your car is going to be a slug but its not. If you suck at shifting, or if your car has a super heavy flywheel for delayed shift times (cough cough m42) then you may be about the same to 60 since you dont have an extra up-shift. Taking second gear to 70mph is alot of fun and having 4th gear to buzz along at 60mph is a nice kind of speed limiter.

My m42 gutted sedan with the 3.25lsd is faster than a bone stock e30 325is. m42 power!

You cant have an all in one diff. I love my tall gears - and with my prosthetic leg the versatility works out very nicely. The sweet spot for me is my 3.46 diff that I am building and will be installing soon :)
                              Driven a 2L M20 before? there is a reason why they came from the factory with 4.10 and 4.27 rear ends. Think closer to M40 power and torque kind of figures.

You won't notice the difference swapping to a 3.91, its barely going to do anything for your revs. So just put in another stock 320i diff and call it a day.
                              Just a little project im working on
                              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Working...
                              X