M10 alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 alternatives

So after taking my head off to change the head gasket block has cracks in it so looking for alternatives to the m10 what motors are easy to swap Into a 1985 BMW 318i

M42?

Seriously, any typical swap is do-able, it's only a matter of money.
    '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

M20 is super easy.

M42 is super easy.

M52 is not that hard, either, and that's some bang- for- the buck if you can find a wrecked E36....

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

How much swapping do you want to do - eng/trans/diff? What ratio differential do you have? A 2.5 M20 changes over well to a 3.64 diff. (it is the weaker small 168mm case though) and is best of all worlds if you are on a budget. An 85 probably has the 3.91 though. If budget is not a concern the sky is the limit with all of the knowledge based here on R3V.

Comment

Go with an M20. Don't bother with M42s. M50s are heavy and overrated.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

f20c is the coolest swap I've ever seen with my own two eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gklock15 View Post
              So after taking my head off to change the head gasket block has cracks in it so looking for alternatives to the m10 what motors are easy to swap Into a 1985 BMW 318i
              A higher revving larger displacement M10.

Comment

M10 rules the world
                "Like a river that don't know where it's flowin', I took a wrong turn and I just kept goin'"

R3v member since 2012

Comment

Or the largest displacement M10.... the M30B35 ;)

bolts straight up to your gearbox using an uprated M10 clutch and pressure plate & you'll need a driveshaft from a 320i to get the gearbox further back.
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

M42 is a nice engine, revs nice and has a decent powerband plus accepts a turbo when asked. Gives good fuel economy and the big plus no timing belts.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

LS1 has no timing belts, either...

hee

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

f20c

f20c seen one at pir, thing looked great under the hood. Killer gas mileage reliability and you'll have tons of room in the engine bay. Do arps head studs and tougher head gasket before you drop it in in case you decide to go turbo!!!! VTAC or if you have the money go ls1-9 but too much power to a coupe supposedly not a great idea... so I read lol, who knows though.

Last edited by jonnywadster; 10-15-2016, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X