Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
    ah shoot...just bought the last X5 shifter in the states. we'll see how this goes.
    how do you like it? i've already logged two track days and i friggin love it!

Originally posted by DmcL View Post
    FWIW i noticed alot of people are not going for the X5 shifter..

i have been using a Z3 M coupe shifter for some time and with the whole thing about the X5 shifter being longer, yada, yada.. i decided to lengthen my Z3 M shifter to see what it would be like and its pretty damn good. i took the gear knob off the shifter, bought a length of steel pipe from a local hardware store that is 14mm ID and 16mm OD and tapped it on over the top of the shifter where the gearknob would normally go. it fits snug enough to not need any grub screws or anything, just tap it on till its tight and i was able to fit my gearknob on the top of the pipe after that. ive also got the selector rod wrapped in a bunch of stick on wheel weights and between the 2 its still notchy but not overly notchy and with the extension i no longer have to ram the stick in/out of gears. combined with a clutch stop i made i can now shift very, very fast up the gears.

i also wrapped the peice of pipe with black electrical tape starting from the bottom and working up to the top so it doesnt look as unsightly as a bare pice of bar shoved on the top of a Z3 M stick. i tried a few different lengths of bar and settled on a peice roughly 6-7 inches long which now sits my gear knob about level with the bottom half of the CD player in the dash. gives me all the leverage of an X5 shifter but with the shorter throw of the Z3 M stick. also it doesnt have that angle in the shofter that tilts the gear knob back like the X5 shifter does.
    the throws on the x5 lever are just about the same as the z3 1.9. i had the z3 prior to switching to the x5 lever and barely noticed a difference. in any case, its awesome for the track and great for daily use as well. makes shifting a breeze.
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

i have a 87 325is and have tried with a couple friends to get my bitch clip off..I couldnt get it even after lowering the tranny a bit..my next idea is to try and pry it up with a bent fork...but my hand doesnt really fit in there 2 well

After that was stuck I tried taking out the shift lever and the white plastic piece is stuck..I tried pulling the lever, turning the plastic piece from the bottom with a flat head while pulling and then eventually thought about breaking it out..decided against it tho since I still had to drive home. i cant seem to find ANY good directions for this other than ppl saying its easy.

well for me its been anything but easy. ive had my kit for over a month now and would really like to feel a short shift. thanks for your opinions
      m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
      build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

heres my kit

Comment

Just ordered a 2.5l z4 lever from the dealership! cant wait to put it in.

Comment

Just installed my Z4 2.5L shifter in 1hr time including bending the rod, everything! I have to say i love the feel it isn't notchy at all, perfect for a daily and highly recommended for anyone who is considering this. If anyone is the area will be happy to put one in for you or help.
            Will post pics once i get i nice shift knob to go on it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30gentry View Post
              Just installed my Z4 2.5L shifter in 1hr time including bending the rod, everything! I have to say i love the feel it isn't notchy at all, perfect for a daily and highly recommended for anyone who is considering this. If anyone is the area will be happy to put one in for you or help.
              Please do so. Before and after would of been nice :P

Comment

The closest thing i have to a before and after picture sorry didn't think to take pictures was kinda in a rush, i still have the factory shifter installed a ZHP is on the way:

Before:

IMG_0975 by flyinge30, on Flickr

After:

new shift2 by flyinge30, on Flickr

new shift1 by flyinge30, on Flickr

Comment

Where are you guys buying your levers?

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                    Where are you guys buying your levers?
                    Got mine from the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by e30gentry View Post
                      What up E30gentry..I cant get my bitchclip off and if u would like to help me install my kit thatd be great. Ive had a couple friends help but we couldnt finish or get the white clip off to lift the lever..i know it turns and pops off but ugghh has it been resistant.
                      let me know if ur goin to brody's 2

Comment

Yea it "just" turns and pops off is what i thought too. With a hook type pick and a small pocket screw driver and some time maybe, once the clip is turned use the pick(s) and or pocket screw drivers to pop the tabs out on the sides and it should make its way out, kinda takes three hands.

Comment

ordered a z4 3.0 well see how it works
                          sigpic

Comment

I bought a z4 2.5 with bush bearing, 4 yellow shims, 2 securing clips and one shifter bushing plus a ZHP knob, but I've never done much work on cars as this is my first one. I only found a diy for e36 shifters and replacing bushings.. Is this something I can do myself? Do I need special tools and/or need to drop the tranny? Thanks

Comment

Could you put this link on first post: http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73
                              It has a pps of How to replace the shifter. Was very helpful. I had no idea how to do it and I did it in 30 minutes.

PS: I just installed my z4 2.5 and I have to say it's PERFECT, i'm in love!!!! I would like it to stay as is but I know it'll break in. It's a little notchier than stock (perfectly) and the throws are reduced dramatically! It's just perfect for daily and sporty, spirited driving. My car feels so different now and it's tight like a new car.

Comment

Could you put this link on first post: http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73
                                It has a pps of How to replace the shifter. Was very helpful. I had no idea how to do it and I did it in 30 minutes.

PS: I just installed my z4 2.5 and I have to say it's PERFECT, i'm in love!!!! I would like it to stay as is but I know it'll break in. It's a little notchier than stock (perfectly) and the throws are reduced dramatically! It's just perfect for daily and sporty, spirited driving. My car feels so different now and it's tight like a new car.

Comment

Working...
                                X