Redline 75/140NS Diff Oil + LSD Friction Modifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redline 75/140NS Diff Oil + LSD Friction Modifier

The 3.73LSD on my cabrio was working great with 64K on it since new, but I was looking for even more lockup and the 20-year-old oil needed changing anyway for maintenance.

I drained the diff and filled it with Redline 75/140NS, which does NOT have the LSD friction modifier pre-added. The Redline instructions say, in summary, to slowly add friction modifier until you get down to a level of lockup that you can live with.

Per Redline instructions, I added one ounce of LSD friction modifier.

Went for a test drive and the LSD ground and chattered moderately. Again per Redline instructions, I added one more ounce of friction modifier and test drove again. This time it was perfect; nice and smooth; no grinding, no chattering, but the LSD is so tight that it squeals a bit on slow turns with only the slightest throttle pressure. The LSD feels great, and it's easier to kick the tail out.

Highly recommended.

BTW Redline says that race cars often don't use any friction modifier at all; they live with the harshness to get higher lockup.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

i always assumed that the friction modifier made it have better lock up, so what i'm getting is that all it does is make it more smooth?

Comment

hum ok good info.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

The "NS" version of the product does not have friction modifier & provides the greatest lockup, but also the most chatter.

The regular version of the product has plenty of friction modifier & gives less lockup but more smoothness.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

i see, gotcha. now it all makes since that my diff was having a chatfest when i was using the redline shockproof. driving around parkling lots was really annoying and embarassing, especially having a lady in the car. "my car isn't falling apart i swear"

Comment

UPDATE: Not a fault of the product, but - My diff seals for the output shafts were seeping just a smidge. Once the synthetic oil went in, they let go in just a few months. I'm now a believer (I ignored the R3V old-timers' warnings) that synth fluids and 20-year-old rubber seals don't work well together. Same thing happened to the transmission (now fixed) and oil cooler thermostat (now fixed).

If I had another E30, I would just run old-style dinosaur oil in everything unless I changed the seals first.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

So it would be a good idea to change the seals before adding this?
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                So it would be a good idea to change the seals before adding this?
                If your diff has no leaks at all - if the output flanges are totally clean on the bottom, you might try running the synthetic fluid with the old seals. But keep looking for signs of seepage. There's a nice kit for diff seals and bushing, including 2 quarts of redline here:

Best BMW and MINI Cooper service and repair facility and experts. North Georgia location. Selling performance and race car OEM and aftermarket parts and racing safety equipment.

It's the redline fluid that already has the friction modifier, but unless you're racing the car, I think that's fine. The re-seal package is a great deal.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Updated link for Red Line Limited-Slip Friction Modifier

BTW, Harrison Motorsports updated their website and the link to Diff Reseal is

http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/p...al-reseal-kit/

The link to Parts & Product is now http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/parts/

Hope that helps.

Comment

hello,
                    i like your information really usefull for me
                    i know more about this product.
                    transport service in india

Comment

LOL at the spam resurrecting a dead thread
                      89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                      I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Working...
                      X