This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

hey this is very interesting. there just happens to be an '87 'is' that is languishing in the local junkyard and i just bought a cherry 1984 325e with about 150k on the odometer. the 87 looks pretty complete under the hood so ill be looking at it again in detail when im yanking its pristine dashpad this saturday. i like the idea of just swapping out the intake and electronics etcetera per EtaSports post so ill be looking to do just the bare minimum.
      first questions:
      1 am i going to need the exhaust from the 325is? i hope not as i doubt it would be good from a junker.
      2 etasport what is an ICV?
      3 what are the gear sizes on the is' LSD?

I'll def have more as there is also a cabriolet there that might be looked at for what the 87 is missing.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by smoke4ndmears View Post
        hey this is very interesting. there just happens to be an '87 'is' that is languishing in the local junkyard and i just bought a cherry 1984 325e with about 150k on the odometer. the 87 looks pretty complete under the hood so ill be looking at it again in detail when im yanking its pristine dashpad this saturday. i like the idea of just swapping out the intake and electronics etcetera per EtaSports post so ill be looking to do just the bare minimum.
        first questions:
        1 am i going to need the exhaust from the 325is? i hope not as i doubt it would be good from a junker.
        2 etasport what is an ICV?
        3 what are the gear sizes on the is' LSD?

I'll def have more as there is also a cabriolet there that might be looked at for what the 87 is missing.

thanks!

Only if you want dual exhaust and some extra ponies get the i exhaust, well the o2 sensor is in a different location also.

The ICV is an idle control valve and is a cylinder located near the exhaust side of the intake

3.73 is in an i car and a 4.1 is in auto and ix cars.

Your 84 has a different body electrical connection then 1.1/1.3 Motronic harnesses so you will have to find the schematic to make it work but it has been done alot. Good luck and keep me posted with your progress and any questions.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
        1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

what do you mean by body electrical connection? just the basic voltage to the harness? also i was wondering (after reading through other posts) could i just drop the intake and AFM from the iS as a start, and add the harness etc later. I think i even read about the possiblity of just adding the is cam and springs and getting a custom chip but i might just be getting tired. in the sum of things if I have to modify the harness since i have an 84 i will, hopefully the donor car(s) at the lot will show a complete set. i also saw a few older 5 series at the lot which i understand supply a nice 3.25 LSD that will pop into the eta. rad.

thanks!
          Last edited by smoke4ndmears; 02-28-2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

the intake and throttle body are what you want.. the afm is the same size as the eta, but it wont work plug and play. your body harness is square and the ones from the 87 are round. not a big problem as i put an 89 fuel injection in an 84 e30. The cam and springs are what you'd want to rev higher without valve float, your best bet is to remove the head and get it cleaned up and refurbished.
            Old and improved:

Comment

etasport i was actually going to pm you. i spent an hour reading through the other related posts on this topic so i feel i have a good understanding of the overal process now. my question to you is this: other than the 3 wires that get spliced for c104 are the two different c101s a 1:1 copy? I dont have access to a high speed connection at work so i can't review the wiring diagrams. i'm no stranger to rigging wiring up (i'm an electronics tech in the navy) but i need to have a warm fuzzy that i wont run into any show stopping surprises as far as electrical goes.
              Last edited by smoke4ndmears; 02-28-2008, 10:06 PM. Reason: because my cell phone is e-tarded

Comment

well most of the wires are color coded. you only really need to hook up the yellow/black start input wire, the green ignition wire and the black/green unloader to get it to start. what you need is the bmw etm wiring diagrams to find out which pins are which. you should be able to find them in the forums though.. search c101
                Old and improved:

Comment

already on it etasport; looking at the pinout of the diagnostic face right now - i assume the fuse box to harness connector is pretty much the same? if not i think i can piece it together from all of these drawings. after looking over the donor car i had a few (more) questions :)

once i seperate c101 from the fuse box connector it has to get pulled through the firewall doesnt it? looks to be a PITA.

i went ahead and grabbed an IS guage cluster from the 87. i can just sub this in for the one in my 84 when all is said and done no?

thats about it. i'm pretty sure i can take this on. first though ill be fitting some plastic bumpers (and getting them painted hennarot) that i spied at another junkyard ($200 for the pair lol) and swapping out this dash i just got. I appreciate your extra assitance and ill keep you posted when i start. Seems pretty straight forward though.

thanks again!

Comment

eta to I

After reading through the thread I think it will help me.

What I have is an 87 325Is I bought for the sport interior. after looking the car over it seems like to nice of car to part, I should mention It has a bad engine. I have a 86 528e engine that has been In my way for a year. It is a very good runner, If I transfer all the parts listed from the I to the e engine it will work in the car just less performance. Is this correct.

Owen

Comment

Originally posted by owenjm View Post
                      After reading through the thread I think it will help me.

What I have is an 87 325Is I bought for the sport interior. after looking the car over it seems like to nice of car to part, I should mention It has a bad engine. I have a 86 528e engine that has been In my way for a year. It is a very good runner, If I transfer all the parts listed from the I to the e engine it will work in the car just less performance. Is this correct.

Owen
                      If you put the 86 bottom end block and all in the 87 you will have a low compression 2.7i which is good for turbo and is best on engine management or custom chip. Dyno Proof.(http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=97872

If the 2.5i head is damaged and you plan to use the 86e head then you will have more torque then the i but the acceleration will be slightly slower because the 2.5 revs faster then the 2.7.

Comment

eta to I

Thanks guys

Owen

Comment

junkyard jools

ok, so here's what i picked up at the yard today. $200:

intake with fuel rail/throttle and regulator etc

der harness. only had to clip the oil level sensor line as it was routed inbetween a mount. cut the c101 right at the fuse box and left it on

AFM/airbox assembly (also got the duct and the piece it mounts too)

ein thermo housing:

the ICV, i think???. i tore up the rubber ducting that it mounts to and that goes between the AFM and intake. will just snatch another.

i figured this was the TPS. amirite??? had to chop it as well

and finally das komputer.

still have to go back and get the cam, springs and cover. am i missing anything besides???

Comment

that's not the TPS, that's the cruise control servo. the TPS is under the throttle.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i guess i have it then lol

Comment

if you got all that for 200 bucks and it works, thats a good deal. i got my swap parts for 250 including the manifold.. i think i bought the computer separate though.
                                Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
                                X