No announcement yet.

325es noob build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For only $600, that looks like a solid, straight car that is perfect for a project. Good work on everything, except the rocker arm shaft plugs are installed inside out.
    Originally posted by BFT_Boyle View Post
    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      For only $600, that looks like a solid, straight car that is perfect for a project. Good work on everything, except the rocker arm shaft plugs are installed inside out.
      Thanks for catching that!!!!

One of them got knocked out too when I was dropping the engine in (rubbed firewall) I was surprised it came out, but being inside out makes sense.

I guess it's a good chance to crank it over with the valve cover off and verify I've got oil going through that overhead tube.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

That also explains why the plugs are rubbing on the cam gear. I thought I was missing a spacer or something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

You're welcome! I'd hate to see you go through all that work only to have your engine ruined if one of those fell out. I'm mid engine swap myself and in the back of my head I'm always worried about overlooking something and paying for it later.
          My Feedback

Comment

Nice build.

I love the torque the m20 puts out in my eta but I have to many m52s and m62s lying around and my m20 is tired at 340,000 still original. I think im swapping soon.

Just curious, how much did it run you to resurface your head. Im about to have on done on an m52.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdkollat View Post
              Nice build.

I love the torque the m20 puts out in my eta but I have to many m52s and m62s lying around and my m20 is tired at 340,000 still original. I think im swapping soon.

Just curious, how much did it run you to resurface your head. Im about to have on done on an m52.
              Thanks! I'll be building my way up.... Gotta get use to stock, then I'll chip it, then M30 swap..... Gotta milk it ;)

I had Riebes/Napa surface it. $80 out the door. That was with me handling all thr disassembly, degreasing, and removing studs.

Comment

Officially blood, sweat, and cursing into this project!

Getting exhaust hooked up from cat up.

Comment

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

325e beautiful sound. I'll just leave this here. l

Comment

Just a small update:

Test fired the engine last weekend. Cooling system not hooked up yet, so I only ran briefly to verify I didn't screw anything up too badly. I did discover that my tach and other gauges do not work. No SI lights either.... I'm guessing the little battery is dead.

My next tasks will be hooking up the new radiator, and putting a new battery in the SI board. Need to get shift linkage hooked up, as well as ordering a new guibo since mine has the consistency of a gummy bear.

Comment

Came here to talk shit on a newb build, but this ain't no noob build.

Good work!
                      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                      Q
                      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        Came here to talk shit on a newb build, but this ain't no noob build.

Good work!
                        Ha thanks man. It's not my first time building engines, but it is my first time with a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by BFT_Boyle View Post
                          Ha thanks man. It's not my first time building engines, but it is my first time with a BMW.
                          Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Is this your first e30 then, or just your first engine rebuild?
                          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                          Q
                          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Is this your first e30 then, or just your first engine rebuild?
                            First e30. Most of my builds have been motorcycle engines and domestic cars.

This one definitely has been the most extensive as far as what I've overhauled.

I must say I've been pleasantly surprised by how nice these M20s are to work on. You have no idea how many times my friends said, "You bought a what? Why??".

Comment

Well I'm back from a long weekend at Dillons Beach and will be diving back into the engine soon. So now that it "runs" I'm working on making it run right. Smells super rich when it is running, but I'm basically running straight from the pump to the fuel rail. I'm pretty sure I've bypassed the pressure regulator, so my next step is getting all the lines put back properly. Cooling lines need connecting and I need to mount up the rest of my exhaust (even though the straight pipe sounds tits...).

Can I route the stock exhaust prior to installing the output shaft? I have not looked at how the routing all goes yet.

Guess I'll find out!

Comment

Nice dude not a noob build at all more like a restoration!
                                BMW tech
                                Umass Amherst
                                05 wrx sti

Comment

Working...
                                X