Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LTW Flywheel bolts backed out with video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTW Flywheel bolts backed out with video.

Well I had this vibration from the transmission. Noise was getting loud. So today i got around to pulling the transmisson to see what was going on in there. Here is the video of what I found.

The flywheel bolts backed out. All could be taken out with my fingers. Bolts were all torqued to spec that came with the UUC LTW flywheel and had the locktite that was supplied with the flywheel. Flywheel was brand new and installed about 7 mouths ago. Driven about 4000 miles. No damage seems to be done. So there going to go back together with red locktite and torqued to BMW spec this time.

Anyone else heard of this happening. Some other problem i may need to check into?

What's your rev limit?

We don't suggest spinning light flywheels past 7k on S52s.

Comment

It's AA software for sunbelt cams. So 6900 rpm.

Comment

You sure about that? I thought that software allowed 7400 or so... I could be wrong.

Anyway, we see all sorts of issues like that (including probably 5 cases of the flywheel bolts backing out) when motors are spun past 7000 commonly with light flywheels. It seems to be a harmonic issue with the crank that only occurs commonly on the S52.

Comment

Wow, that sucks Kyle. I've read plenty of not so great stories about the UUC flywheel in the bimmerforums track section. Hopefully the bolts will hold tight with the locktite.

Erik

Comment

Were the threads in the crank completely degreased prior to assembly?

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Happened on my Euro motor with the Blue flywheel last year after having it in for 4 years without issues. Stupidly I had the tranny off and didn't check the flywheel bolts. Unfortunately it seems that retightening flywheel bolts with the blue flywheel is something that needs to be put on a regular schedule.

Comment

damn thats crazy! at least you found your problem though :)
                I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                2875-C Towerview Road
                Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Pretty common with the UUC flywheel for some reason, I have heard about this happening many many times. Call Rob at UUC, I am sure he can answer questions and give you a answer of what needs to be done to keep them from backing out.

Comment

I bought a UUC Stage II Flywheel (the blue 8.5lb. one) and E34 M5 clutch setup from a guy that had this happen as well. The setup had less than 500 miles on it and happened to him at the track (Watkins Glen). He ended up replacing it with a JBR/Clutchmasters setup which he has been extremely satisfied with. When I received it, there were divits and burrs around the holes, but I said fuck it and just deburred them as best I could.

When I installed the setup on my M50TU, I used those 2 small tubes of locktite UUC sent me on the crankshaft (literally poured it into the threaded holes). I also had a large stick of the non-liquied red locktite that I liberally coated each bolt in before installing. In addition to this I also overtorqued the flywheel bolts by about 10-15ft. lbs. just to make sure the bolts wouldn't become loose.

So far I haven't had any problems, but then again I haven't taken the car to any AutoX or Track days. Best of luck rectifying the situation.
                    Originally posted by BillBrasky
                    E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
                    1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
                    1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
                    1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
                    2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

this same thing happened on my m20 but it was only a lightened stock i flywheel but it was tq to spec...i never tried to fix it with locktight since i was swapping in my m50 but i did use the same flywheel on the m50 so far no problems with it coming loose
                      "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Originally posted by BenM View Post
                        I bought a UUC Stage II Flywheel (the blue 8.5lb. one) and E34 M5 clutch setup from a guy that had this happen as well. The setup had less than 500 miles on it and happened to him at the track (Watkins Glen). He ended up replacing it with a JBR/Clutchmasters setup which he has been extremely satisfied with. When I received it, there were divits and burrs around the holes, but I said fuck it and just deburred them as best I could.

When I installed the setup on my M50TU, I used those 2 small tubes of locktite UUC sent me on the crankshaft (literally poured it into the threaded holes). I also had a large stick of the non-liquied red locktite that I liberally coated each bolt in before installing. In addition to this I also overtorqued the flywheel bolts by about 10-15ft. lbs. just to make sure the bolts wouldn't become loose.

So far I haven't had any problems, but then again I haven't taken the car to any AutoX or Track days. Best of luck rectifying the situation.

too much locktite can cause it not to harden..... follow the directions on the package

Comment

Working...
                        X