E30 Drift R3volution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
    Check again, that's not the fellow I linked to.
    Oops - my eyes weren't working earlier, I thought he was asking about the link I posted.

My mistake.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
      Just follow him on FB. Great guy who has been doing this for a while now.
      I don't have a facebook. I will be happy to check it out though. Is this car in Formula D? Has anyone seen the Red Baron?
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

I've only done a few drift events with my car and drive it a decent amount on the street to and from school / work / ect. But it is still a drift car.
        Here's a picture of it two weeks ago at clubloose.

A33 by Pat_Landor, on Flickr

- Bone stock 150,000+ miles M42 with a T25 off an SR20det at 8 psi for the time being. Low temp thermostat and new water pump.

- Using Megasquirt 2 V3.0, Does everything I need it to do. (except idle control I can't seem to get mine to work)

- Custom made ground control "bastard kit" coilovers, 550# springs up front 600# in the rear, ground control camber/caster plates, e36 non-m3 knuckles, e46 control arms, 318ti 5 lug swap in the rear.

- only using tie rod spacer and honestly have plenty of lock, eventually I'll run modified 36 knuckles just not anytime soon.

- Getrag 240, 3.73 welded medium case diff (looking to get a 4.10), stock M20 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate

- Running a hydro using the SRS design dual caliper braket and a ebay handle. Works okay I have a leaky line though so one bits more than the other and the pads are general auto parts store garbage. I don't use the handbrake a whole lot I like to flick with a clutch kick but I'm sure I'll use it more once I drive faster.

- Up front I achillies ATR sport tires 205-45-16 they're a little small fore the 16x8 style 5 but it fits in the wheel well nicely. in the back I have the same tires for driving on the road but when drifting I use garbage although I'm probably going to try out federals 595 in the rear since everyone likes them.
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post
          @Smith - We have very similar taste, this was my plan. But I am can't stop thinking about 24v and turbo. How do you like those coils? How much boost and what are you thinking it's making bhp wise
          24v and turbo is a lot of fun. I got to slide my buddy's turbo s52 with 400whp and that was a BLAST. it wasnt setup for drifting, but it was still wicked fun. I like my coils a lot. awesome to slide on and not terrible to drive with. If you're wanting to do more than 3 or 4 hours, you'll start to feel it but otherwise theyre great. I'm on 12psi right now and i would think i'm close to 300 at the wheels but I have no idea for sure, hopefully i'll be hitting up a dyno day soon
          1989 JDM-Tech 2
          2010 335 D for daily

Comment

I will see if I can get 'Red Baron' to post his set-up here. He's running s54 turbo (yes he is in the 1000hp club)

I wish I could decide on a motor build. Any suggestions guys??
            There is a m52b28 that I could obtain for cheap. I keep thinking that I should stroke it with m54b30 internals and in the future when I need power, I am kinda lost. Don't want to just MLS something with that high cR.
            m20b25 turbo is also a choice. If I run this route I would replace the front rocker arms as well.
            Of course there is the m50.
            I like the idea of using something that wouldn't require standalone (OBD turbo tuning). But I am of course happy with buying a MS.

I am already attempting to blow apart my 4.10 so I can justify sourcing a 2.93 or 3.15.
            20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

18 Followers, 2 Following, 0 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from RedBaronRacing (@redbaronracing)

Where the Red Baron is most active.

I love this thing!
              Last edited by HerbE30; 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM.
              20% Accurate

Comment

Try and find a 325i
                Weld diff
                Buy some suspension stiffer better
                Adjust ebrake locktite
                Front tire pressure round 30psi
                Rear tire pressure 55psi++++++
                sigpic

Comment

Anyone know what I can do to reduce wheel hop on forward bite? I assume its due to a well beaten m20 fighting tires. It mainly an issue at launch.

Suspension Set-Up:
                  Bilstein B6 HD + Reinforcement Plate Rear
                  Votgland Spring (I'm buying BCs for the new year! 10k/12k sound fair?)
                  Condor Speed Shop Rear Subframe 12mm kit.. RTAB, Diff.

Just incase of the rear disc causing this issue, they have been replaced with Brembo OE slicks and Hawk HPS pads.

I am guessing that it may be an alignment issue, along with cheapo tires. So I will be also using the Garagistic alignment kit.

I am hoping with stiffer springs and a good rear alignment and some cheap all season new(?) tires (just so I can start feeling more consistent)

Will this help or should I start looking at rear sway bar refresh for helping wheel hop? ... Or horsepower?

The honest issue is probably me being 'preservative' with my loved e30.

-------------------------------------------------------
                  Also, I have a slight miss mostly below 1200 rpm under load. It is missing around 5000-5500 but when warm? I will be changing plugs. Coolant temp sensor. CPS. Cleaning the MAF. If that doesn't help I will probably go ahead and jump on the MS2 PNP kit, for diagnostics. And check fueling, of course.

Another update, I was quoted 120$ to have my driveshaft rebuilt with 1310 joints. Just posting my struggles for advice. Cheers!
                  20% Accurate

Comment

Just an update to the miss. My crank position sensor was loose. I don't assume this would cause this issue.

And if I am correct the 1.3 doesn't read MAF signal at the 5k rpm area?
                    20% Accurate

Comment

Another thing I have been wanting to kinda plan for is the e46 control arm swap.

Anyone know what tire width and offset fits well? I am aware the track is widened. Just curious. I am planning on using the stock E30 hubs and running e34 tie rod centers? I can do this without using e30 M3 or E36 spindles? i.e. Remain on a 4x100 set-up? I only ask before I order and weld coils.

Thanks again any poor fellow who is bored enough to read and reply!
                      20% Accurate

Comment

Bumping this thread back from the dead!

I will have a weeks vacation this winter and I plan to do a Gates racing belt and OEM HG/WP. Of course checking compression is a must prior and after.

Next season will be a first for me. Here is my current set-up. Feel free to make suggestions. It's a set-up that I would feel comfortable starting with.

Bilstein B6 HD. (reinforcement plates on rear)
                        Vogtland Springs (These boys are stiff, would love to switch to coils bought engine stuff last time)
                        4.10 LSD
                        Condor Speed Shop bushings all around. M3 offset LCAB. 12mm riser kit.
                        Blunttech SSK.
                        Brembo Slicks
                        HPS Pads.
                        Will probably do a cat delete and run straight into Magnaflow.
                        Viva 3s for cheap tires, but new so I can have some consistency.
                        No front sway.

Looks like a cheap budget list. But I have replaced most engine electronics and I am already on my 2nd set of tie rods and control arms.

Idea 2. Sell the 30. Buy another 30. But in the form of 330 e46. Drop coils and call it a day. Why didn't I do that to begin with. Why does everyone on this forum seem to be right!?!??
                        Last edited by HerbE30; 09-20-2017, 11:54 AM.
                        20% Accurate

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post
                          Idea 2. Sell the 30. Buy another 30. But in the form of 330 e46. Drop coils and call it a day. Why didn't I do that to begin with. Why does everyone on this forum seem to be right!?!??
                          I'm so confused.
                          Steve • Toronto
                          1991 318is • Brillantrot
                          Build Thread

Comment

haha. I tried to make a play on words there. I specialize in natural pigdin for some reason...

I meant sell my e30 and buy a 330ci. Ya know... The 30s there... *nudge nudge*
                            20% Accurate

Comment

Anyone have a water pump suggestion???
                              Last edited by HerbE30; 09-20-2017, 01:48 PM.
                              20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
                              X