Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
    I too get my maps/graphs from opinion blogs.

Not to mention the fact there are no hard numbers in it, painting it as though coal makes up 50% of the countries energy when its at 33% and falling. NG being another 33%.

How about a coal map directly from the EIA...

This map includes all energy infrastructure and resources layers.

Use the map layers and take a look for yourself. Over 90% of the coal burned in the US is for electricity.

Doesn't change the fact that electric cars are ultimately charged by a power plant.

Most federal fuel subsidies go to renewable energy sources, even though most American energy comes from fossil fuels like coal and natural gas.

American coal production is currently the second highest in the world (behind China)[ix], delivering 895 million short tons in 2015.[x] The United States has a vast amount of in-place coal resources, over 10 trillion short tons[xi], and has the most technically recoverable coal in the world at 258.6 billion short tons[xii]. From mines around the country, coal is transported to over 500 power plants in the US in diesel-powered freight trains. Similarly, the coal the US exports to overseas markets is carried on ships powered by petroleum-based bunker fuel, a further example of one fossil fuel being used to transport another.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      How about a coal map directly from the EIA...

This map includes all energy infrastructure and resources layers.

Use the map layers and take a look for yourself. Over 90% of the coal burned in the US is for electricity.

Doesn't change the fact that electric cars are ultimately charged by a power plant.

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or.../fossil-fuels/
      So what you saying? You have something personal against coal?!?

Let's talk about DC power transmission inefficiencies from wind farm gathering networks, relative to life cycle and creation carbon footprints, shall we?

As soon as carbon capture technology feeds directly into carbon product generation cycles rather than merely bureaucratic sequestration mandates, then there may be a leg to stand on here...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
      ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Coal:

Hydro electric:

Nuclear:

Combined in real scale according to MW production...

PEV stations:

Not sure gwb72tii's posts was way out there.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by LEANE30 View Post
          So what you saying? You have something personal against coal?!?
          No. It was the fact that gwb72tii's post about PEV's getting charged by fossil fuels was deemed "laughable".

EDIT: If you read my previous post...

I was on the understanding methane was the bigger scare than co2?
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

No. It was the fact that gwb72tii's post about PEV's getting charged by fossil fuels was deemed "laughable".

EDIT: If you read my previous post...
            Wait... Read previous posts!!!! You are out of your mind, man! ...Who the hell reads previous posts?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Wait... Read previous posts!!!! You are out of your mind, man! ...Who the hell reads previous posts?

Nope. this is r3v. Post something in response to someone and wait for the pitchforks! :hitler::hitler::hitler:

It is an extremely long thread, and haven't real every single post, either. HA!
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

The shortsightedness of the greenies when it comes to the true environmental impact of their EVs and hybrids is staggering sometimes.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  The shortsightedness of the greenies when it comes to the true environmental impact of their EVs and hybrids is staggering sometimes.
                  It blows my mind how few cars on the road daily are 10 years old or older... How's that for an average carbon footprint? The e30 is probably one of the most environmentally friendly vehicles currently still being daily driven in large numbers. If running right, the worst ones still get 25 mpg or better.

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Our newest unit is 13 years old and my DD is now 20. None of which are great on mileage, but I can buy a lot of gas for what it would take to replace even 1 of them, and the increase in mpg will never make up for that
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

I definitely don't encourage replacing perfectly fine reliable vehicles you already own with EV's. But If I was in the market for a new car, because my old one was broken, un-maintainable, or otherwise, id look at EVs before I looked at another ICE car.

The 'massive' environmental impact the media constantly broadcasts is extremely exaggerated.
                      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                      willschnitz

Comment

If running right, the worst ones still get 25 mpg or better.
                        IXs get about 21-22mpg on average. So that's not quite accurate. I do agree about keeping older cars running being environmentally friendly.

That said, the shift to EV being called shortsighted is shortsighted itself. At some point we will shift entirely away from coal/natural gas/oil (30 years?) to nuclear/solar and then things will all have to be electric. And I'm not saying that because of the environmental impact, I'm saying that because of cost. Solar is cheaper now, however the infrastructure is not as robust, but it will be. And then all cars will be electric.

Cost drives everything, so it'd be crazy to think we aren't headed towards an all electric world.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by kershaw View Post
                          cost drives everything, so it'd be crazy to think we aren't headed towards an all electric world.
                          100%

Comment

It blows my mind how few cars on the road daily are 10 years old or older... How's that for an average carbon footprint? The e30 is probably one of the most environmentally friendly vehicles currently still being daily driven in large numbers. If running right, the worst ones still get 25 mpg or better.

The average age of a car in the US is now 13 years old.

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            Our newest unit is 13 years old and my DD is now 20. None of which are great on mileage, but I can buy a lot of gas for what it would take to replace even 1 of them, and the increase in mpg will never make up for that
                            that depends entirely on how much driving one does, doesn't it? I just sold my TDI back to VW and it was great on fuel economy when we were on the freeway but nothing special around town. Ultimately we weren't driving it enough miles to really justify the premium cost of a modern diesel car.

Cost of ownership due to the scandal was about $2000 in depreciation over 3.5 years which is phenomenal.

Comment

That is phenomenal. $47/month to own a brand new car? That's awesome.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

yeah and not a cent on maintenance other than wiper fluid

but the scandal would have worked out really bad for us if the car had been totaled during the year of limbo we were in. value plummeted from 20k to 9k in 3-4 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X