Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wondering if you look at this link and the look at the
    this picture

does that selector rod joint look and different in diamenisons? it looks to be the same and i believe it is cheaper then ours.

i paid $35 for an e30 one at the dealer yesterday.

the one thing i noticed it seems to haev a plastic ?? bushing pressed in to where the shift selector rod goes...could this be better then the steel on we have??

any opinons on this?
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325
      i just had a Z4 2.9L shifter installed. now i havnt heard much about the z4 2.9l on this site but it seems like it would be inbetween the z4 2.5 and 3.0. all I can say is its perfect! Everyone should have a shortshifter, it makes driving soo much fun, even if your not old enough to drive yet!
      They dont make a 2.9l Z4...?
      James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

ok ok ok...so what is the best one for the 318is that sits somewhat in the middle. does anyone have any pics of any of these, i am sure there are i just haven't found any.

thank
        jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jhinck1414
          ok ok ok...so what is the best one for the 318is that sits somewhat in the middle. does anyone have any pics of any of these, i am sure there are i just haven't found any.

thank
          jeff
          ditto here but for a 325i. I'd like to shorten my throws and get it a bit more notchy but also not have to bend the selector rod. From what i understand the Z3 3.0 lever does that quite well, if not please explain and tell me which lever is best fit for me.

Comment

I also have a 325is and would like to know what rod would be a happy median without bending the rod or such mods. Everyone seems to have differnt thoughts on this matter:(. I hear a lot of Z3 and Z4 talk if someone could give us a better idea about what will work best that would be awsome :?

Comment

Review of the z4 3.0 shifter in my 1990 325i: I installed it last friday, installation was very straight forward. At first I installed it without bending the selector rod, it was close, but I thought it could squeeze by without bending it, it worked, just it make rubbing noises and was hard to put in reverse, that's about it. So i took it apart and dropped the tranny a little to get to that bitch clip at the other end of the selector rod, stuck it in a vise, bent it, put it back together and enjoyed. The throw is very short! and i couldnt have asked for better. It is really precise and perfecly notchy (which I like) A heavy knob is definately on my list as it takes a little more effort to shift, but none the less I would reccomend this to EVERYONE! 100%
              Dan

Comment

I bent mine to about a 35 degree angle, it was more than enough clearance for the harmonic balancer, but not too much. I used the UUC diagram (not the directions) on bending the selector rod, and tried to match it to that, there is a PDF floating around.
                Dan

Comment

definately not. out of curiosity, why are you removing the harmonic balancer? wieght? or you just dont want to bend the selectory rod? bending it is really easy, its not a problem, but for some reason I doubt that it being hard is not the reason your not doing it.
                  Dan

Comment

I just installed the Z4 2.5 shifter and its awsome. No bending was neccesary.

Before:

After:
                    90 325is
                    IE stage 3s and refeshed m20....

Comment

I just ordered the SSK from an M Roadster yesterday. It should be at the dealership tomarrow (friday) by noon. I will install it this weekend, and try to borrow a digi-cam to take pics of the install. Review coming soon :)

Comment

Hmm 318, looks as if the 2.5 sits a bit higher than the 3.0, nice.

Comment

Originally posted by BS87
                          No, they're the same length above the fulcrum.
                          Originally posted by Gruelius
                          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                            Originally posted by BS87
                            No, they're the same length above the fulcrum.
                            Correct. The 3.0 just has a longer bottom end, therefore shortening the throw even more. But, it's also more notchy. ;)
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

M-Roadster SSK Review:

Sorry, no pics :( I couldnt get hold of a digi-cam this weekend, and didnt plan on waiting to install it 'till next weekend.

Well, if you've got an extra $70 laying around, use it to purchase this! There is an AMAZING difference over stock. Like almost every other "Z" SSK, you'll have to bend the selector rod, but it was easy. Since I dont own a vice, I took the selector rod and backed my Jeep's tire dead center on it. Then I slide a socket under it in the center and smack the side sticking up in the air with a dead-blow hammer. One strike, perfect bend.

When you get it all re-installed, it sits very noticably lower in the consol, and the shift pattern is very very tight. It's also very notchy. I did not like it at first, but I've been driving on it 3 days now, and it's beginning to loosen up - feels much better. You will notice (until it breaks in) that R and 5 are difficult to get into, but that too goes away on break in. Make sure that you grease the ball on the selector before installing your new nylon cup... it really makes a difference in the break in time. If your like me and like the shifter to sit super-low in the consol, but a Momo sphere shifter knob. That further reduces the height by about 1-1.5".

That's it, guys! Great bang-for-the buck mod, and it takes less than 30 minutes if you can change your own oil.

Comment

So which rod is being bent? The vertical rod that you hold or something else? I find it a bit unclear.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Working...
                                X