Weird Whine sound after starter replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Whine sound after starter replacement

So i replaced my starter today since the solenoid on the one that was in it was coming off of the housing (still started but made a rattle and was noticeably separating) it was a reman from orielly made by autolite so i figured i'd just get it warrantied and call it a day.

Well now here i am after going through one replacement that didn't kick out to engage, and a second one thats installed now that i think is whining. I recorded the sound basically it starts to whine as soon as the engine starts and keeps whining until you turn the engine off. There were no shims on the one i took off, nor where there any that came in the new starter box so i assume i would need shims.

Does this noise sound like the starter still engaged to you? I eliminated the accessory belts\pulleys by removing the belts and the noise is still there. I can't pinpoint it with a stethoscope though, when it up against the starter i cant hear the whirring any louder then it already is.

Trying to figure out what this whine is, suspect the starter but unable to pinpoint with a stethascope.

I need to get this thing sorted out cause its my daily any help is appreciated

vacuum leak?

Comment

That's what I just deduced this morning. Pretty sure the accordion hose isn't sealing with technology throttle body cause if I lift the hose from underneath the sound goes away. At least I know my starters not gonna explode when I drive to work while I figure this out.

EDIT: Because i hate when i find a post that doesn't show a for sure resolution, I determined the problem quite easily after trying three different clamps and still having what appeared to be a leak on the main intake hose. Two out of four of the nuts on my throttle body were missing, I found both of them sitting on the crossmember so i retrieved them and put them on made sure all four were tight. After hooking the IAC back up (i had broken the plastic tee that has the small vacuum tube port when i replaced my headgasket) and adjusting the Idle properly this things back to running like a champ.
      Last edited by rommaster2; 11-24-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X