Dutertes Drug War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutertes Drug War

I didn't even realize it had gotten this bad.

Inside President Rodrigo Duterte’s brutal antidrug campaign in the Philippines, our photojournalist documented 57 homicide victims over 35 days.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

fucked up

one more reason to appreciate our constitution and our law enforcement

Comment

My mother is from the Philippines (Quezon City), but I have never been myself. She was always scared that something bad might happen to me in her old neighborhood--perhaps be kidnapped for ransom since I am half British--so she always refused to bring me. I've been a little upset with her about this for most of my life because everyone else always said it would never be an issue and that she was being overly dramatic. Considering the great amount of Aussies and Kiwis who travel there every year without incident (or very little) I figured she was being overprotective as well.

But this is the kind of shit she was troubled by. She new that there will always be this layer of corruption and lawlessness. Even if you are completely clean, never touched a drug in your life, you can still end up shot in the street because his death squads "said so."

It's a great tragedy as the Philippines often seems like it'll finally blossom into a wonderful, economically and socially progressive country, but every decade or so a complete fuckhead like this gets elected and everything regresses. I still want to go there one day, but not while this monster is ruling with absolute and unchecked power.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
        fucked up

one more reason to appreciate our constitution and our law enforcement
        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

my direct report at work is a filipino dude with a crazy amount of energy, he's tough to keep up with

i don't think he's planning on moving back to that country
          past:
          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:
          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
          X