S62 swap weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S62 swap weight

Just weighed the car with the completed S62 swap. It's a 1991 318is with sunroof. I was hoping to stay in the spirit of the 318is and keep the overall weight low, without resorting to stripping anything out, as it is my daily; even has a Lukebox. But no A/C (not needed here in the PNW). It's now got a 2001 S62 and the E34 530i 5 speed. UUC lightened FW and a street/sport clutch. Front and rear subframes have been beefed up and the diff has the secondary mount and finned cover. Heavy duty driveshaft and halfshafts. Single 2.5 exhaust with a dump valve rather than a dual setup.

318is curb weight was supposedly 2602 and weight distribution was 54/46% F/R. according to the specs I've seen online. My car only had 2 gallons in it when weighed, so it was 84 lbs lighter than if it had a full tank (I believe curb weights include a full tank). Anyway, check out the new stats:

I can't believe it. Only about 200 lbs heavier, and with a better weight distribution (almost exactly 50/50).
    The car is an absolute beast. The poor 225/50s on it are going to be corded in no time....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pipes; 12-22-2016, 08:02 PM.
    1991 349is (wadded up)
    1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
    2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
    1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
    1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
    2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

awesome!! thank you for sharing that. i can't imagine the weight distribution being better. that doesn't make sense. can you get it dyno-ed when you have time? did you do a build thread? i try to read everything posted here that has s62 in listed. what did you do with the ecu? who did you send it to?

did you use the garagistic/wilwood bracket for brake masters?
    Last edited by flyboyx; 12-22-2016, 08:16 PM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The fact that the S62 is about long as the M42 helps keep it from getting too nose heavy I guess. That strengthening of the subframe, diff mount and drivetrain you did in the rear must be pretty beefy. Either that or the subwoofer box is lead-lined! Requesting more pics; this build deserves a thread full of them.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Wow, that is pretty good news. Thanks for sharing. My M62 is just about done, but I see myself with the S62 at some point.

Mr. Wolfe
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          did you do a build thread? i try to read everything posted here that has s62 in listed. what did you do with the ecu? who did you send it to?
          Seriously, we want some more info!!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

No build thread, as I didn't do the swap. I'd love to be that talented and have that kind of time but I am sorely lacking in both. I did the research and collected all the parts but a buddy of mine did the swap (Kevin at KD Motorsports in Redmond WA). It is a 2001 S62 out of an M5 with an E34 530i 5spd. I bought the entire swap kit from Garagistic (mounts, exhaust manifolds, pedals, driveshaft, subframe reinforcements, secondary diff mount). Its running the biggest Mishimoto radiator that would fit, but no oil cooler as there is a coolant/oil heat exchanger in the S62. It actually runs so cool that the aux fan has never kicked on in the 3 months I've been driving it.
            The ECU is from a guy in the UK (Adam Ergen). It runs AlphaN so you don't need the MAFs; instead just a temp sensor in the intake. Also deleted EWS, deleted the 2 O2 sensors after the cats, and is supposed to bump hp by 30-40, not that it is needed. It all arrived in a nicely finished loom and was supposed to be plug and play, although the coils didn't fire at first so there were some bugs to figure out. I'm sure it was my fault, as I don't think I let Adem know it was a 318is, not a 325.
            Without the MAFs the intake was easier to complete, but I still need to powdercoat the piping and fashion some air boxes around the filters so it is no longer a HotAirIntake.
            The exhaust is the modified X5 manifolds to a 2.5 on each side, merged to a 3 to a cat, then a dump valve, then a single 2.5 to a resonator and the quietest muffler I could find, and a single outlet. It's fairly quiet until you open the dump valve, and then it sounds like a warbird. I think it's awesome, my sons think it's awesome, the wife says Oh My God That Is So Tacky.
            The brakes were abysmal when we got it back on the road; the switch to non boosted didn't fare well with the RX7 BBK I had. Also the MCs that come with the kit are not the best quality; I already had to replace the clutch master once (big hassle, as the dash has to come apart to get at them). It was undrivable with the RX7 BBK so it is currently running stock brakes with 5/8" MC front and rear, and it will lock up, but the pedal effort takes some getting used to. If my finances recover I plan to put in a nice BBK setup from Massive, although it will mean I have to swap out the Euroweaves and lose a bit of the stealth look. Of course having some more rubber on it will be a good thing; you can get wheelspin at 80mph on dry pavement. It has a 2.93 LSD at the moment but a 2.79 would be better. I have one in the garage but it needs to be refreshed.
            I'll post more pics once we get some better weather; it's been nasty here lately. Also will get it on a dyno after a bit more shakedown time to make sure all the little issues are resolved.
            Attached Files
            1991 349is (wadded up)
            1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
            2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
            1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
            1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
            2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

I rotated the photo for you

It looks amazing, I had an E39 M5 for a while and honestly can't imagine an E30 with the S62.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Holy Hell!

Comment

Please tell me you are bringing this to the Picnic
                  Derek-

Comment

Wow, incredible work pipes... More power and still the spirit of the 318

Anyone got stats on the final weight of a 24v swap and how it compares?

Comment

I love everything about this. Must snap necks when you open the dump valve and rocket away lol.
                      Originally posted by csermonet47
                      Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

Wow. After driving my M62 e30, I can't imagine what this feels like.

Mr. Wolfe
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
                          Oh lawd yes please Jesus

Comment

Nasty! Lukebox is def keeping it more 50/50. Same deal with my m30.

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
                            +3

Comment

Working...
                            X