Problem with ZF 320

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with ZF 320

i noticed something on my ZF 320 that's waiting to be swapped in. normally the gear selector should rest in line with the 3rd and 4th gear and you can twist it to the left (1st and 2nd) and to the right (5th). on mine i can only twist it to the left that makes me think that it's sitting by the 5th gear. ... i just literally thought that i should check if i can push it in in that position to make sure it's really sitting there but if it is what can be a problem? i know almost nothing about the little bits and pieces inside the transmission. is it a broken spring or something?
    Thanks for the help in advance!!

known common issue. go here for solution:

I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
      known common issue. go here for solution:

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplass...hift_pins.html
      i heard that those pins are its weak points but i didn't know the symptom.
      thanks!

Comment

Lucky for you that you checked before installing that. Imagine how happy I was about pulling mine out after I'd installed it.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

i had no time working on my car for a while and i missed it so much i had to play around with it and then i noticed.

i did a bit of searching and i found out that this issue makes switching gears hard and notchy but i can switch all the gears fine. the only thing is that if it was in the car the stick would rest by the 5th gear instead of in line with the 3rd and 4th. is it caused by the pins as well?

Comment

yes there is a pin specific to 5th and another to reverse. read closer to the bottom of the page that scottinaz posted. the pin starts to stick in the bore causing the problem you describe. i had the same issue with mine where the shifter wouldnt return to center from the right

Comment

I see! So that's what those 2 pins do. i checked it again this afternoon and actually it stops between 5th and 3rd/4th but i can still push it in 5th gear diagonally. i ordered all the pins so i will update when they are here and i can swap them out.
              Thank you all for the help!!!! :bow:

Comment

I got the parts finally. Some of them was special order so it took a few days...
                I used no bmw tools to do it. Three pins on the top of the transmission were a piece of cake. I used a 8mm deep socket to hammer the sleeves in and a 10mm one for the caps. Perfect fit! Taking the 2 sleeves out from the side ones was not easy! I started prying it out where the split was but I had to almost completely crush them because they were in there pretty well. The top pins were actually in good shape with no significant sign of wear. Same for the side ones however they were hard to remove. Both of them slid equally hard in their sleeves but because the reverse one had a stronger spring it still worked. The 5th gear one was stuck. I haven't put the new side ones in yet so i will report back how those slide in the sleeve.
                Also the write up that scottinAZ posted the link for mentioned that these pins lacking lubrication. Mines were well oiled when I pulled them out...

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  Lucky for you that you checked before installing that. Imagine how happy I was about pulling mine out after I'd installed it.
                  MEEE too. Just pulled the motor and trans back out last night due to this. I could have sworn I checked it before it went in and it was fine.. bleh
                  I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

I swapped out the two pins for the reverse and 5th gear. they slide a bit easier then the originals but still a bit tight. i tested and they work however the 5th is kinda notchy. :-( hopefully it will wear in over time.
                    interestingly the original pins were identical but the replacement ones were different. the one for the reverse was just like the original but the 5th was lighter and the hole on the bottom was smaller. also i used sockets again but i would recommend getting the tool for these because it is very easy to f*ck them up!

Comment

Working...
                    X