Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to LA

Hey guys & gals,

California native here: 18 years in SF Bay Area and 4 years in San Diego. Just moved back to California after a 1 year stint of living in Chicago.

Been crashing at home in the Bay Area over the past week after completing a 5,600 mile road trip around the continent. However, got a job in LA, so I am packing up and moving down tomorrow morning.

While I may have lived in SoCal for 4 years, I know very little about LA outside of a few of its suburbs. Given the extremely high concentration of R3Vers in the LA area, thought I'd see where you all would live.

So R3V, where would you live if your work is in DTLA, but also want to live within ~20 minutes of the water? Side note: I know LA is probably 10000x more car-friendly than Chicago, but I am planning on having three cars - am I out of my mind?

:popcorn:

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

If you want to work in DTLA and be 20 minutes from the ocean, you would probably want to live on the westside. Problem is, it's crowded and expensive. You could move further south towards Culver City, Westchester area but then that's a little farther from DTLA. Then there's Gardena, Lawndale, Hawthorne which are close to the 105 and 110 freeways. Commuting to DTLA by car will be terrible. I mean, most of LA is bad these days but the DTLA and Westside commute in particular is a nightmare. They are working on more rail systems and building loft apartments everywhere though.

I'm in the Harbor/South Bay area south of LA towards the coastline in San Pedro. Luckily, my commute is 3-5 miles each way and I work at night so there's no traffic. No more stress.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 07-08-2016, 10:32 AM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

It means not being as close to the water, but perhaps being closer to the mountains isn't a bad idea (Pasadena, Sierra Madre, Duarte, Monrovia). You will have a bit more room for the money and it would be easier to source parking. I agree with M-pro, driving (for commute) into DTLA is a sure-fire way to hate life. Parking three cars will be a challenge. Living up in the areas I mentioned mean you can just hop on the Metro Gold Line and be in DTLA in under an hour (with no stress).
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Got to check out West Hollywood and Culver City yesterday, really liked them both.
        Trying to find roommates to make living there or in Santa Monica possible lol.
        Also, currently living in Diamond Bar. The commute to DTLA today was a mehh.
        Left Diamond Bar/Pomona at 6:30 AM got here at 7:45 AM. I-10 is horrible.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Bump. Can't believe 6 months came and went and I'm still living in Diamond Bar.

That Diamond Bar - DTLA commute (~2 hours) ended up claiming my old E30 shell's life.

I now have re-shelled (and am still in the process of doing so) my E30 and commute just 10 minutes every day from my house to the commuter train station, then just 35 mins into DTLA, hop on the Metro, and another 10 mins to my office.

It's really nice not slaving for 3-5 hours in traffic everyday. People here in LA are kooky for doing that.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Diamond Bar isn't bad. I used to spend a lot of time there.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Pretty bad hit. Glad you're alright. You're coming out to the Dockweiler meet this Saturday right?
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Sorry to hear about your E30.

And hell, all that work just to get to work everyday has got to be a drag!
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                  Diamond Bar isn't bad. I used to spend a lot of time there.
                  Not saying it's bad, I'm just used to a more metropolitan setting.

I've lived in SF, Chicago, and NYC so it's just a little quiet...and spooky :-)

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Pretty bad hit. Glad you're alright. You're coming out to the Dockweiler meet this Saturday right?
                  Thanks. I'm actually headed down to SD with the gf for the MLK weekend.
                  Hopefully picking up some bits to make this new shell more presentable.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                  Sorry to hear about your E30.

And hell, all that work just to get to work everyday has got to be a drag!
                  Thanks. I'm pretty over it now, and happy to be back in an identical one.
                  It's amazing how much happier and more energized I've become since discovering the commuter train. Really crazy.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X