Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.8L Stroker Turbo questions

Thanks yall
    Last edited by Chris Spiegl; 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM. Reason: answered some of my own questions
    1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

The manifold fits like crap. Mine had the bolt holes on the flange drilled out to fit on the head studs. I couldn't fit one of the nuts on the exhaust stud because the elbow turned so close to the stud.

I mean it worked for a while, then it started leaking some exhaust at the flange because the flange was slightly warped. It also was very close to the head making install/removal tough and tough to get to spark plugs.

I would recommend not cheaping out on the exhaust manifold or going for the first gen cx racing manifold. I have one but it did not clear the iX motor mount so I couldn't use it. rapidspoolindustries sells a good product that fits perfect.

Take your current planned turbo budget and double it. That will put you in the ballpark to what you actually need to get boosting.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

On a side note, i love your ix turbo!
      Last edited by Chris Spiegl; 12-18-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Spiegl View Post
        I am not to worried about having to drill out the holes a bit. I would go with the first gen, but I don't want to piece together a whole kit myself and I would prefer an external wastegate. I am planning on running this kit until it fails and at that point, I'll upgrade the manifold.

As far as budget, that is why I am planning on the cx kit. It is $1,300 which leaves some room in my budget to fix stuff along the way. If I was to go for a rapidspoolindustries, my overhead in my budget would be a lot less. I ran the numbers and $540 for a manifold leaves not enough wiggle room.

As far as tuning goes, I am staying with the stock m1.3. I am getting a custom turbo chip done by squidmaster. I am upgrading to 30lb injectors as well. I am staying with this because of the deal I am getting for the tune. I already have a tune from him, so I am getting 50% off for a reflash. I already have a catback exhaust done as well.

On a side note, i love your ix turbo!
        I went down the same road as you. My brother used my BEGI RRFPR on his m30 turbo and a TCD turbo chip. Once he switched to megasquirt, the power delivery and boost response was a night and day difference. Here is his thread: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f...e9409ee44556b9

Just an FYI, you will be spending more than your current budget allows, and you don't want to do things twice. I would suggest going with the DIYPNP, whodwho pnp, or blueapplesoda (dederick) megasquirt setup from the start. A chip will 'work' but you wont be able to change the tune or account for any changes you make to the engine later. Do what you want though.

Also, you could use this manifold with this adapter for the turbo. Its what I have that didn't fit the ix motor mount. Should work fine for what you want if you are set on an external wastegate. I would add a support bar to help prevent it from cracking.

Here is the 'kit' for the first gen cxracing stuff for cheaper. I'm not sure I would trust the BOV or the turbo but it is cheap enough to try I suppose. IF you were set on a cxracing kit, why not use an internally gated turbo and remove one more point of failure of chinese junk (The wastegate)? A genuine Tial is going to cost you $200+ and I bet that is out of your budget...

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Hey, everything downforce is saying is correct and will save you money in the end.
          I went down a similar path by using that same manifold and Miller's draw through MAF setup for tuning. Horrible choices.

First off, the manifold they gave me had the flange welded on upsidedown so yeah I understand it's a fluke, but that says something about QC.
          Then, after having the manifold replaced by them, the exhaust bolt holes weren't a true fit so after a while I also started leaking exhaust.
          Finally, the manifold design is pretty bad. All the branches of the manifold run into each other face-to-face at the collector instead of straight up into your turbine.

Now for the Miller draw-thru MAF setup (which I SUPPOSE is a step up from chip flashing), is also a crude method of tuning. Nothing ever felt right or as responsive after maybe 4 dyno retunes by Dan Miller himself.

So I did what downforce is recommending you - Megasquirt (Huge difference), and I used the early manifold, but instead of using that wastegate adapter, we welded a provisional for the external wastegate iteself on the branches.

Another thing, it's kind of hard to pinch pennies on turbo setups when there are components you actually NEED to be quality for turbocharging.
          My advice is to either save up, or take it slow. You will go over budget.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Just buy a manifold from Good & Tight and ebay turbo, you will have money left over to piece together a better kit that that one from ebay, and not have to deal with the crappy manifold.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Where should I get a downpipe from? Thanks

Comment

M20 manifolds are on sale till end of this year for $450 shipped along with our M30 & M50 manifolds also.
                Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                  M20 manifolds are on sale till end of this year for $450 shipped along with our M30 & M50 manifolds also.
                  If yall could fab me a downpipe as well, I would purchase both.

Comment

If yall could fab me a downpipe as well, I would purchase both.
                    We stopped making DP due to so many different turbos being used, they all fit differently.
                    Also our manifold uses a 44mm v-band wastegate.
                    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Muffler/fab/speed shops can usually do them for a fair price. Just make sure you bring your v-bands etc, or they tend to weld them solid and you have no way of servicing the car (muffler shops tend to do this).

We might be able to work something out if you wanted to purchase a mani from G&T, I tend to have an e30 or two (or five lol) that could be used for test fitting - you would need to send the turbo, though.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        Muffler/fab/speed shops can usually do them for a fair price. Just make sure you bring your v-bands etc, or they tend to weld them solid and you have no way of servicing the car (muffler shops tend to do this).

We might be able to work something out if you wanted to purchase a mani from G&T, I tend to have an e30 or two (or five lol) that could be used for test fitting - you would need to send the turbo, though.
                        Thanks! Sent a PM.

Whats a fair price/average price a local shop would charge?

Comment

Pending material, bend type and quality, prices can change drastically. A MIG welded bare mild steel 2.5" with wrinkle bends is going to cost less than TIG'd back-purged 3.5" stainless mandrel bends. ;)
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Pending material, bend type and quality, prices can change drastically. A MIG welded bare mild steel 2.5" with wrinkle bends is going to cost less than TIG'd back-purged 3.5" stainless mandrel bends. ;)
                            Just thinking basic MIG welded. Sent a pm! Thanks!

Also what size turbo would be good. Thanks!

Comment

I have a m30 G&T manifold it's probably the best chinafold out there.
                              Flanges are warped though so make sure you get them flat somehow.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                              First off, the manifold they gave me had the flange welded on upsidedown
                              Did you get this from dan pinter from e30tech?
                              I thought that long runner manifold itself was really good, but it was so THIN.
                              ended up cracking on the turbo flange.

Comment

Working...
                              X