Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 528e M30 swap question

Hello all,
    I'm on the verge of buying an '88 528e. I was looking for a 535i, but the 528e presented itself and it is pretty much too clean to pass up. Will an M30b34/M30b35 bolt up to the transmission? How simple is the swap? Would it be cheaper to just find an "i" head and just run with the m20b27? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

No, the transmission won't bolt up. Will need the M30 trans and possibly driveshaft depending on the year, the swap will be pretty in depth. Exhaust will have to be changed, mounts, some wiring if I remember correctly, radiator, and some other misc things. The i head swap would be a ton easier.

1983 528e, 200k mile club, BBS Mahles.

Comment

..and if you do a cam upgrade on the head before installing, you'll have a healthy combo.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Do the swap! You will want a different differential as well, the 2.93 that the 528e has is slow as shit.

Wiring is easy, you are basically upgrading the Motronic 1.0 to 1.3 which is just swapping the engine harness and ECU.

An m20b27 needs a lot of work to produce good power and it will still fall flat on its face above 5500 rpm. To really get some power out of it you'd need to port the intake and match the exhaust, install an aftermarket cam, you'd want aftermarket ECU management as well and a good tune.

An m30 will produce more HP and Torque without any modifications. Find a good m30/trans and replace the all the seals/rubber bits and it will be well worth it.
        sigpic
        1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
        I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Evan View Post
          Hello all,
          I'm on the verge of buying an '88 528e. I was looking for a 535i, but the 528e presented itself and it is pretty much too clean to pass up. Will an M30b34/M30b35 bolt up to the transmission? How simple is the swap? Would it be cheaper to just find an "i" head and just run with the m20b27? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
          I'm doing this swap now on an 88 e28. Putting a m30 b35 in it. It was already as manual so no problem there. If you are up for it you can do it.
          sigpic

Comment

In North Delaware if you are close enough to come check it out
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X