No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a little bit of painting this weekend. I painted the door handles, the lower front lip and the rear spoiler. It turned out OK. The rear spoiler was/is kind of fucked up when i bought the car. The previous owner tried to paint it black and failed terribly. I tried my best to revive the thing and I think it turned out pretty decent. Below are some pics for your clicks. Mind you the car is dirty and I didn't get the chance to paint the valence so it's a shade off of the actual white it should be after years of wear and tear...

This is how the rear is looking currently. I got some paint in the mail to paint the tails red

Here is the front of the car in the shade (makes it look better)You can see the painted door handles. I think it makes it flow pretty good and I haven't seen too many people do it either.

I got in the mail a fuel filter, control arm bushings (powerflex), rear swaybar links and a breather cover for my rear wheel well. I think I can get those in there today if all goes as planned.

Comment

Good luck with the project bud, Looks pretty clean. There were also a lot more then 56 ix's in 1988, there was actually around 1200 imported in 88 alone. The official number are on e30tech or here somewhere. If you ever have any specific ix questions feel free to ask me.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
        Good luck with the project bud, Looks pretty clean. There were also a lot more then 56 ix's in 1988, there was actually around 1200 imported in 88 alone. The official number are on e30tech or here somewhere. If you ever have any specific ix questions feel free to ask me.
        I was only going off a response that BMW of NA sent on BimmerForums. I wouldn't fabricate a number like that.

Originally posted by BMW of North America
        ==============
        I am with BMW of North America, LLC, and your email was forward to me for
        response. The information that you requested is as follows:

325iX

1988 model year:
        1081 Automatic 2 doors produced, 56 manual
        233 Automatic 4 doors produced, 77 manual

1989 model year:
        356 Auto. 2dr., 230 manual
        844 Auto. 4dr., 256 manual

1990 model year:
        55 Auto. 2dr., 69 manual
        130 Auto. 4dr., 182 manual

1991 model year:
        0 Auto. 2dr., 3 manual
        4 Auto. 4dr., 6 manual

I hope that this information helps.

Thank you for choosing BMW.

Aaron Z.
        BMW Customer Relations
        800-831-1117
        That was taken from here

I will most likely be sending you some messages though on a couple of questions that I have about the transmission and things to look at/replace. It shift terribly and I know it needs to be freshed up, I just don't know how to do it.

Comment

My 1988 e30 325ix - Manual

Those numbers are off for sure. All 88ix's were 5 spd, sport package and 2 door. They were actually the most expensive year for the ix
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Those numbers are off for sure. All 88ix's were 5 spd, sport package and 2 door. They were actually the most expensive year for the ix
            That's pretty crazy! I just looked up the price and it showed only about 1200 less than an M3. Are you currently restoring an IX?

Comment

Ya that's why they didn't sell to many at first, and ya that's my 88' I got two years into the body and susspension, this winter will be the motor and driveline with a 2.8 boosted Stroker

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I did a little bit a work last night. I replaced the cover that goes over some lines on the back passenger side of the car. Mine was decayed and falling apart. I snapped off most of the threads trying to remove the old ones because it was just so rusted. I then moved on to the fuel filter for the car. My guess was it had never been done...ever...well my suspicions were pretty much 100%

This is what a fuel filter looks like when it hasn't been changed for about 20 years is my guess... Car purrrrrs a little better now!

Comment

My cousin has this same car and we're both in Salt Lake. His username is slc325ix, check out his car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316365

Also you should join the utah bmw page! https://www.facebook.com/groups/utah...iasts/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by anokES View Post
                    My cousin has this same car and we're both in Salt Lake. His username is slc325ix, check out his car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316365

Also you should join the utah bmw page! https://www.facebook.com/groups/utah...iasts/?fref=nf
                    Thanks new friend. My car has a long way to go before it can destroy the snow like your cousin's car. I gotta make it look pretty first...

Yesterday I swapped out the rear swaybar endlinks. It didn't make the biggest difference, but I can feel it's a little tighter in the back. Tonight I should be doing the lollipop bushings and I'm hoping for a good outcome with noticable driving difference.

There honestly is so much stuff to replace on this car it's dumb. Nobody ever cared for this car like it should have been cared for. I understand driving it hard and having a great time with it, but getting it to the point where it can actually be abused without breaking more stuff is what I gotta spend my time on these days.

Good thing all the parts can be swapped out with a 10mm, 13mm & maybe a screwdriver.

Comment

Sweet ix, hope to see you around.

Comment

This is what the sway bar endlinks looked like when I took them off. It was time for a replacement for sure.

I originally figured that this car would have lollipop bushings that were completely destroyed. So I got under the car and I removed the driver's side lollipop. To my surprise I found this...

Track Density Powerflex Bushings. I only had the Street density so I am more than happy with the surprise.

It was a HUGE PITA to get that little fucker back on though. What should have been a 10 min job ended up being like a 2 hour job... lots of beer later I finally got it back in and all is tight.

Time to replace the Tie Rods and the Steering Coupler with replacement from Ireland Engineering. I hope that makes a noticeable difference.
                        Anyone here ever done the steering coupler? Or PS delete?

Comment

Maybe in the US, but I'm pretty sure Canada received 4-doors throughout the production range of the iX.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

There's always something to fix!

Comment

So last night I figured I would paint my taillights all red with some of the Testor's paint that I picked up online. The paint was shows as a "bright red" which I figured would be a complete match. It was dark outside and I started painting...

This is after the first coat of paint...

uuuhhhh.... that doesn't look right! I thought maybe pulling the tape off would help me see the vision and it would make the taillights maybe, uh, look better?

The taillights ended up looking like an 80s racecar drawn by an american animator. They were simply terrible. I have since taken off the paint (briefly after this atrocity happened). The taillights are back to normal, but I figured everyone could get a good laugh from this.

Comment

Yeah, it was significantly more than 56. if they were that rare, there would only be like 10 or less left. I've probably seen more than 56 totaled 88's in my time as an E30 enthusiast, including my own parts car.

nice ride though, glad to see you're trying to bring it back to par. What are the chances you'll like it more than the Audi? :p
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X