No announcement yet.

California smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA smog is stupid. When I bought my M3, it was in Vancouver Canada. It was first sold somewhere down near Los Angeles (can't remember where off the top of my head.) So, it started out as a California car, the DMV could see that it was first sold in California, but they kept insisting that it was a Canadian spec car and that I needed to get something from BMW Canada stating that it met California emissions... Obviously BMW Canada wanted nothing to do with me since it was clearly a US car. It even still had the original California exhaust on it, and passed with flying colors. The DMV failed to pull their heads out of their ass until I was pulled over for not having plates because the DMV was being stupid. (I had the temp registration sticker in the window, but it was about to run out.) All the paperwork was correct and in order, but the DMV idiots couldn't get their act together until I threatened to drive over there and show them the CA emissions sticker on the car with the VIN proving the car is a California car.

Good luck with that. You might get lucky and the paperwork will end up on the desk of someone with a clue, but odds are you will have to play the same game I did.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
      CA smog is stupid.
      I've had to deal with the DMV in CA more then I care too. I loath them. The first thing they do when you walk up to the counter is to look up reasons to deny you what you want. I swear must be in their training manual - Rule number one: "Always say NO first"

I parted out a couple of cars before I left CA, and the last one, they said I couldn't get the paperwork to send the car to the junker, unless...

DMV: "Sir, I can't process this paperwork until you surrender the plates. We'll need both front and back plates. Until then that car is going no-where"

("surrender" the plates, like this is civil war?!?!?)

Me: "What if I don't have them?"

DMV: "Umm, well, do you have them or not?!?"

Me: "Lets just say I don't have them, what happens then?"

DMV: "Don't play games with me Sir! Do you have the plates or not?"

(Starring contest ensued for 10 very uncomfortable seconds)

DMV: "Well, you'll have to sign this form saying you are not in material possession of the plates"

Me: "Oh yea, I don't have the plates. Sign here you say?"

BTW - I have the plates, they are mounted to the all in my garage.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Why is there anything beyond a sniffer in the tail pipe? If it beats the numbers, why should it matter to how?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jtparts View Post
          Why is there anything beyond a sniffer in the tail pipe? If it beats the numbers, why should it matter to how?
          That's the part that has always annoyed me.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
            A CA cat is $200 by itself, plus install which at the cheapest is at least another $75 or so. You may be able to get away with a non-CA cat, but if the smog tester checks you'll fail the visual. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Did this a few months ago and was seriously considering getting a non-CA cat since they're like $100 cheaper and from what I had read not that different. Ended up going with the CA cat and was VERY glad I did as the smog guy did check the serial number...
            FYI at abuelos muffler is $50 install and $126 for CA Cat.... last time I checked

FYI I was told the non-California cats don't last long after installation that's why they have serial numbers and cost more?!?!?

Comment

EXACTLY, but I'll tell you why because they want aftermarket companies to pay the state extra for CARB certification. The companies then pass on the costs to the customer. That's part of why things like Dinan air intakes and turbo kits cost so much. They all carry CARB EO #'s which make them legal in CA. Everything else is "illegal."

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
              FYI at abuelos muffler is $50 install and $126 for CA Cat.... last time I checked

FYI I was told the non-California cats don't last long after installation that's why they have serial numbers and cost more?!?!?
              Kinda the same thing with CAT's. They want to make sure you run the right size cat for your car instead of some universal one. None of those aftermarket cats are that great and last as long as OEM. If you're running rich, they will fail or blow out in no time.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Any good recommendations for a shop in SD to have a new cat installed?

Comment

Lots of good info here.
                  SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                  IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                  BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

CA is gonna CA

I've had to replace cats on a couple of cars. In all cases the smog shop did a visual with a little mirror to confirm the cat was CARB compliant. I personally wouldn't roll the dice on a 49 state cat.

For the E30 I went with a universal magnaflow CA cat. It passed the sniffer test in flying colors. We'll see how it holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      EXACTLY, but I'll tell you why because they want aftermarket companies to pay the state extra for CARB certification. The companies then pass on the costs to the customer. That's part of why things like Dinan air intakes and turbo kits cost so much. They all carry CARB EO #'s which make them legal in CA. Everything else is "illegal."

Kinda the same thing with CAT's. They want to make sure you run the right size cat for your car instead of some universal one. None of those aftermarket cats are that great and last as long as OEM. If you're running rich, they will fail or blow out in no time.
                      There are plenty of certified aftermarket cats available for various applications, the primary difference between these and the non certified units is nothing more than the EO# stamped into the body. OEM cats are another thing altogether and should always be certified. The ridiculous cost of most OEM units combined with a lack of availability for older vehicles makes OEM replacements a non starter for many people, moreso for owners of older vehicles. This is where it gets interesting, if the OEM unit is NLA, and the aftermarket does not support your application (usually due to an expectation of low volume), you cannot legally install a used converter even if it results in a passing test. What are you to do? I believe this is simply another way the state has devised to remove older vehicles from service. If you cannot achieve legal status, how does this affect the value of a vehicle? Suddenly your car, that you may have invested large sums of time and money into cannot be legally driven and would seemingly be devalued by the same swipe of the pen. Oh and any modifications that may have been made legally in the past? There is no consideration made for any mods, good luck on finding any of those parts you may have chucked and if you do, be prepared to pay dearly for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                        Any good recommendations for a shop in SD to have a new cat installed?
                        Workman's
                        1304 N Melrose Dr Ste AVista, CA 92083-2918

Comment

What we need is somebody with a steady hand, a scribe, and some known good EO numbers lol

Tell you guys what tho, I have the bolt in magnaflow for 87-91 325i, and but the middle of it chokes down to 1.75" in the middle, whereas the weld in universal stays 2.5", both are single 2.5" inlet, dual 2" outlet CA legal for our cars. The universal apparently can be used for a range of vehicles, our e30s being the smallest displacement of them all. The universal is way cheaper too, 2 bills versus half a rack.If I can't pass I'm getting a new weld in magnaflow.

Look

Bolt in
                          http://www.magnaflow.com/products?pa...atiblevehicles

Weld in universal
                          http://www.magnaflow.com/products?pa...atiblevehicles
                          Last edited by Streichholzschächtelchen; 01-10-2017, 11:02 PM.
                          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

the state needs to dip their dicks in every driver.
                            Get that tax money. gimme yo money because we can.
                            It passes smog BUT it's not using the converters we approved. $$
                            suck my dick california fucking jump through the hoops and empty your wallets
                            commie scum.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              CA smog is stupid...........

we can thank the libtards that have put the most ridiculous policies in place in relation to emissions, "global warming" and anti-gun laws.

Comment

I'm just going to chime and say that california smog can suck a D. Its a fucking scam..
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                                X