Roof Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof Racks

I have seen alot of questions come up on this forums regarding vehicle racks. So I figured I could start a thread devoted to answering those questions, and helping people make the right decisions.

I have been installing vehicles racks for around 5 years now, and would say that I have fair amount of knowledge about the systems. I also have access to a stockpile of rack parts which covers over that past 13 years of rack production in the US. Mainly Thule and Yakima brands, with a few others.

So if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Or if you would like to see a vehicle with a rack set-up on it, I can also do that. We have collected a huge amount of photos of the jobs that we have done.

Decided to do a Quick FAQ for everyone also.

The Correct Fitments for an E30 are:

Yakima.
    1A rain-gutter towers, with 48" crossbars
    http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys...aingutter.aspx
    or
    Yak Q-Towers, with Q-Clips #30, and 48" crossbars.
    http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys.../q-towers.aspx

Thule
    300XT Towers, with 48" crossbars.
    (these are Rain-gutter style towers)
    http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=3&sku=300

The Fairings for and E30 do have some Variation.
    From Thule you can either go with the 872XT or the 871XT
    The only difference between the two is the width of the fairing. I believe the 872XT width to be the best width for the E30.

Yakima has the same options.
    You can either for with the 36" or the 42", I have not tried both of these on an E30 yet, so not exactly sure which one will look better.
    But the 42" is roughly going to be the same shape as 872XT from Thule.

As far as accessories go there is no limitations as to what either of these racks can carry(besides weight).
    Ranging from Bike/skis/Cargo Boxes/Cargo Baskets/Kayaks/Canoes

Yakimas homepage
    http://www.yakima.com/Default.aspx
    Thules Homepage
    http://www.thuleracks.com/
    Last edited by Trucidatio; 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM. Reason: Adding Info

"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Please post pics! I've been searching for the Thule set up for a little while now for my 87 325iS.

I would love to see E30 racks with fairings! Do you have the Thule 300 feet and or cross bars?

Thanks,
    Saloon

Boser Hood DIY
    Techno Violet Refresh
    Outsounding: Helping Children Discover Strength In Their Own Voice!™

Comment

There are actually some great threads on here that are full of E30's with racks on them

This is mine.

Thule 300 towers
      LB58 crossbars
      872xt fairing
      and 2 594 Sidearms bike carriers

Comment

Looks great! Got any of that stuff for sale?

Boser Hood DIY
        Techno Violet Refresh
        Outsounding: Helping Children Discover Strength In Their Own Voice!™

Comment

Any of my personal stuff?

Or just Thule in general?

Please PM me

Comment

How hard would it be to make a rack like this to go along with my oldschool euro theme...

Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

are you looking for something that would fit onto your bug, or onto your E30?

Comment

Originally posted by Trucidatio View Post
                are you looking for something that would fit onto your bug, or onto your E30?
                Onto my e30. Kinda inspired my my late grandfather's old bug, had a backyard built rack, 356 speedster suspension and drivetrain, and fuchs with cream two tone pink paint. I wish I had a pic or two of it.

Comment

If you want pics, SEARCH.

Otherwise, nice info OP.
                  I actually just bought a used universal rack. It fit fine and never moved.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                    If you want pics, SEARCH.

The pics I am talking about are for vehicles that are not E30s.

Just random cars that someone might own, or be interested in buying, and a rack is something they would be interested in buying.

As far as the old school racks go, you would pretty much have to custom fab it. I have not come across any racks that would fit directly onto an E30 and would give you the look you desire. I will do some research tonight and see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Trucidatio View Post
                      The pics I am talking about are for vehicles that are not E30s.

Just random cars that someone might own, or be interested in buying, and a rack is something they would be interested in buying.

As far as the old school racks go, you would pretty much have to custom fab it. I have not come across any racks that would fit directly onto an E30 and would give you the look you desire. I will do some research tonight and see what I can find.
                      Sounds good, I couldn't really find anything so I think I may have some work ahead of me.

Comment

Trucidatio helped me out an insane amount when I was looking at shit for the Thule rack for my car.
                        mucho thanks, he knows what he's talking about.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
                        And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

This one is for the people who visit this thread.

This is not my trailer, but we just finished this job and had to get a shot of it.

Comment

hey Trucidatio,

could you post a picture of a universal rack mount?
                            I got all the parts I need for the whole setup, but I'm not totally sure that the snowboard rack fits on the load bars, or if I'm just doing it wrong. so I dunno if I have a Universal mount or a rack specific one.

I'll try to get a camera and post a picture of what I have too.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
                            And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

Is the rack universal? If so, what is the brand?

or is snowboard rack universal? If so, what brand?

Comment

Working...
                              X