Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

attempting SHO v6 in my e30

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but thought I would share what I am up to. I have a 1986 325es that I picked up for cheap from a buddy of mine. It was originally a Texas car, so mostly rust free besides some rust on the far left side of the trunk were it leaked water. Mechanically the car runs well, but has several small issues (that admittedly could be very easily fixed). Cosmetically however, the car is very rough. The interior has seen much better days, the outside is dented and has some very shotty bondo work from some fender benders. Some of the wiring on the car is a nightmare, as it has been pretty hacked up in places. When I bought the car it was bone stock, although the prior owner had planned to turbo the car and run a megasquirt.

Since I bought the car last November, I have been having fun with it- attached is a picture. The shark mouths cover up some dents on the passenger side, I cut the hood up just for fun, I built the roof rack myself and did some other small things. I quickly wanted more power in the car, and I knew I wanted to do an obscure engine swap. After considering a lot of engines, I decided on the Yamaha designed Taurus SHO v6. The goal is about 250 hp and 8000 rpm- a big step up from the 4500 rpm M20.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    '86 325es 5 speed- cosmetic mods, working out an engine swap

2000 Audi a4 quattro wagon 5 speed- bigger turbo, 20 lbs of boost, Porsche brakes, lowered on coilovers all around, aftermarket interior, etc.

'96 Camaro z28 6 speed- long tube headers, ORY, borla catback- the car sounds good, and does good burnouts... and that's all it does well

So this is where I am now in the project:

I got into an entrepreneurship program at my college where they provided me space and are paying me to work on this project. I plan to sell all the parts I design during this swap at the end. I bought a SHO for $300, and have pulled the engine out of it. After considering different transmission options, I knew I wanted a 6 speed- so I bought three broken 6 speed transmissions from different cars (s2000, 350z, and miata), and have decided the s2000 6 speed is the most promising. As I write this, I am waiting on some prototype plywood adapter plates to be waterjetted out for me. I plan to run the stock SHO flywheel, which will allow me to run the SHO starter as well. I am going to redrill the flywheel to accept the s2000 pressure plate, and I will use the s2000 clutch disk as well. Luckily with the way things are lining up, with a 1/2" adapter plate, the clutch and flywheel all fall in the right spot without having to space them around. My biggest problem right now is figuring out a pilot bushing, as the SHO transmission was supported two places internally and did not use a pilot bushing, and although there is a hole in the SHO crank for one, it is only slightly bigger than the input shaft on the s2000 transmission. Attached is a picture of the SHO engine for those of you that are not familiar with it- it has a really cool variable intake runner that opens up shorter intake runners at 4000 rpm (its almost like a simpler vtec on the intake instead of the cams). I took some very quick measurements of my e30 engine bay and the SHO engine, and it looks like it will fit with the exception of the oil pan/cross member- so one or both of these will likely be modified. With the s2000 transmission, and the engine stuffed right back against the firewall, the shifter falls close to the stock e30 placement. I have dubbed this car Project Melting Pot, as it is a Japanese designed American engine in a German car.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

2000 Audi a4 quattro wagon 5 speed- bigger turbo, 20 lbs of boost, Porsche brakes, lowered on coilovers all around, aftermarket interior, etc.

'96 Camaro z28 6 speed- long tube headers, ORY, borla catback- the car sounds good, and does good burnouts... and that's all it does well

Comment

Welcome aboard. Now a SHO engine is a mighty ambitious to transplant. What tranny works for that?

edit. I see...massaged S2000 6spd. Very interesting.

COTM

Comment

N2MYE30: Sorry I broke up my post into two parts, but I am using an s2000 transmission. It doesn't work out of the box, but I am making an adapter plate to make it work. There are transmissions options out there, such as the Ford Ranger trans, but that is a 5 speed, top loader, and there is debate how long they last being shifted at 8000 rpm. If you can find a '97-'97 Aerostar manual bellhousing (good luck) you can buy an adapter plate to run a t5 transmission.
        sigpic

Comment

This is silly. Good luck on your project. I look forward to seeing its frequent updating!
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
            This is silly. Good luck on your project. I look forward to seeing its frequent updating!

Silly is what makes it fun though. Would it be engine id do personally? No not at all but i give OP A+ for being original and going with the same ol boring swaps.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Any reason behind the engine choice?
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

This could be the car with the best excuse for Taurus skirts yet!

Comment

Had contemplated a duratec 3.0 v6 when I picked up my first shell years ago. I was inspired by a merkur running a turbo rwd setup, and the fact that the noble uses the same motor to great results. Also German designed😃.

Interested to see how this turns out!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Sho motor might be too wide for E30

Comment

This is cool, please make it happen, I don't want to see another unique project die and 5 more yawn-inducing DOHC swaps take its place :up:

Originally posted by Art5 View Post
                      Highly unlikely. It isn't really that wide.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

How many degrees is the V on those engines? Looks very narrow.

Great looking inlet manifold on those - I'd seen pics of the V8 before, didn't realise there was also a 6 cylinder version. Should be nice when it's done!

If you find the 6 speed too hard, the Mazda B series pickups supposedly had a 5 speed RWD box that bolts up.
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

cool project! the Yamaha V6 is a great engine. I have a friend with almost 300k on his, still original.

Just a word of warning - everything Ford touched on that car is shit. That includes the flywheel - the clutch disk is way too small, it's not going to hold up too well to 250hp, it can barely handle the stock engine. I would definitely consider upgrading it to an aftermarket flywheel/clutch if I were you.

Fortunately you won't be stuck with the transmission that Ford used as that is crap too and has parts that wear out you can't buy anymore..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sub'd. We started dabbling with a 60 degree GM engine mating to a Getrag 260 for an e30, but a very side and distant project. Curious to see how this pans out.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Art5 View Post
                              Or it might not.

I'm interested to see what happens.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                              X