Rear Sub frame Bushing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Sub frame Bushing Question

So i burned out my rear sub frame bushings in prep to put in some new condors. However it looks like there is a sleeve or something else in there making the hole not circular but more elliptical and the condors dont fit at all. There are some flange looking bits on both sides but i wanted to double check before i take a hammer to them.

Any input would be fantastic.

Iv outlined the flange bits im talking about. (looking at the pic now i may have been an idiot and just now answered my own question)

http://i.imgur.com/SaIT60z.jpg

Yeah, remove those bits before attempting to insert your Condor bushings.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Hmm looks like ill need a puller or a press. The ol hammer had little effect on the stubborn sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackthorn View Post
        Hmm looks like ill need a puller or a press. The ol hammer had little effect on the stubborn sleeves.
        An age old technique is to disassemble and then reassemble a hack saw with a metal blade, so that the blade passes through the subframe bushing hole.

Proceed to carefully cut through the sleeve that you want to remove. Don't cut too far, and do your best to keep the blade flat, to cut only the sleeve.

After you have cut through the sleeve, remove the saw, use a flat bladed screwdriver, bend one of the cut edges in towards the center. Grab pliers and twist the now bent portion of the sleeve more towards the center and voila! The sleeve will fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
          An age old technique is to disassemble and then reassemble a hack saw with a metal blade, so that the blade passes through the subframe bushing hole.

Proceed to carefully cut through the sleeve that you want to remove. Don't cut too far, and do your best to keep the blade flat, to cut only the sleeve.

After you have cut through the sleeve, remove the saw, use a flat bladed screwdriver, bend one of the cut edges in towards the center. Grab pliers and twist the now bent portion of the sleeve more towards the center and voila! The sleeve will fall out.
          This is a great idea! Ill be trying it later tonight.

Comment

That'll work. Or just use a sawzall. You can see how I did it in my rear subframe bushing DIY in my sig.
            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Worked great, thanks for the heads up you 2. Also EyExR thanks for the link, your wheel bearing replacement pics are going to come in handy this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Blackthorn View Post
                Worked great, thanks for the heads up you 2. Also EyExR thanks for the link, your wheel bearing replacement pics are going to come in handy this weekend
                Very welcome!

Comment

Also, when you burn out subframe bushings in the future, keep in mind that burning out the middle rubber is a waste of effort. You only need to melt the rubber on the exterior of the sleeve. Then the bushing will drop out.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                    Also, when you burn out subframe bushings in the future, keep in mind that burning out the middle rubber is a waste of effort. You only need to melt the rubber on the exterior of the sleeve. Then the bushing will drop out.
                    Correct. When I don't use a press, I just heat the sub frame itself until the rubber between the sleeve and sub frame starts to bubble. Then use the flange as a spot to knock them out with a punch. Don't even need to burn the inner rubber at all.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yea but unfortunately when i dropped the sub frame, the bushings were worn all the way through so the center part literally dropped to the ground once i pulled out the long bolts.

Comment

I've never burned bushings out, but I've had great luck with just cutting away a small bit of the rubber bushing and using a saw to notch the metal case. Then, a few hits with a small cold chisel on the bushings outer case, and it loosens them right up. I saw a video of the subframe bushings getting burned out and it looked way too messy and time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by CMatos View Post
                          I've never burned bushings out, but I've had great luck with just cutting away a small bit of the rubber bushing and using a saw to notch the metal case. Then, a few hits with a small cold chisel on the bushings outer case, and it loosens them right up. I saw a video of the subframe bushings getting burned out and it looked way too messy and time consuming.
                          Don't have to "burn" them. Takes about 2-3mins with a torch. Heat the sub frame around the edges, near the metal sleeve. Once hot the bushing knocks out just as you describe. A plumbers MAPP gas torch works great for this. Then while hot, the little bit of rubber melted to the sub frame wipes right out.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I use a home made puller to put pressure on the bushing then when You heat the outer subframe the bushing just slithers part way out on its own. Rather fun to watch actually lol
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Got it. That makes more sense. The video I saw had the guy melting the entire bushings out which made no sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X