No announcement yet.

M10 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another update. Installed a new starter. It now cranks but doesn't fire.

Any suggestions what to look into?

Comment

While cranking, is it backfiring at all?

Try to start it after you put some gas or starting fluid in the intake.

As far as sensors, the only ones that will stop the engine from turning over would be the blue water temp sensor (pn: 13621357414, top of the engine, near the front, two identical plugs, it's the plug that's closer to windshield) and the afm.

If it doesn't start with gas in the intake, check your spark. Pull a wire off the engine, put on a spark plug and have the electrode ground to the body and see if it sparks.

If you do have spark, then I'd recommend taking a step up from free diag, and have a shop do a smoke test to determine if you have a huge vacuum leak.

Comment

Originally posted by loki_ View Post
        While cranking, is it backfiring at all?

Try to start it after you put some gas or starting fluid in the intake.

As far as sensors, the only ones that will stop the engine from turning over would be the blue water temp sensor (pn: 13621357414, top of the engine, near the front, two identical plugs, it's the plug that's closer to windshield) and the afm.

If it doesn't start with gas in the intake, check your spark. Pull a wire off the engine, put on a spark plug and have the electrode ground to the body and see if it sparks.

If you do have spark, then I'd recommend taking a step up from free diag, and have a shop do a smoke test to determine if you have a huge vacuum leak.
        Thanks for the help!

I think I have narrowed it down to no spark. I tested one of the wires and got nothing. The symptoms make sense as well. All it does is turn over and over. Not even a hint of it firing. I swapped in a couple other coils I had and tested the one in the car. Seems to be within spec. 0.7 ohms between terminals and 8.92 kiloohms from the negative terminal to the coil output. There were also 12 volts going to the coil with the key on.

Any ideas what to check next? I feel like I'm close, just not sure.

I should have mentioned it before, but the plug that goes into the distributor (not sure what it is?) is different between the two cars. It plugs in fine, but one had a small bracket (ground?) and the other didn't. I'll try to take pics of what I'm referring to.

Comment

Did you use the old harness or the new one from the new engine?

Did you have the distributor out?

There were two types of ignitions used on the cars and yes, the plugs were different on the distributor.

The distributors were different from 1983 - 1985 but they are not so different that they would cause a no-start. It is possible to swap out the connectors to fit either connector.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
            Did you use the old harness or the new one from the new engine?

Did you have the distributor out?

There were two types of ignitions used on the cars and yes, the plugs were different on the distributor.

The distributors were different from 1983 - 1985 but they are not so different that they would cause a no-start. It is possible to swap out the connectors to fit either connector.

I used the old harness, didn't swap those from car to car.

I didn't pull the distributor when I swapped engines, but because of the issues I pulled the one that was in the motor and swapped it with the one that was in the car before. Same issue with both.

The plug seems to be the same, it plugs in without issue.

Could swapping the computer help? Running out of ideas.

Pretty frustrating so far. I haven't had a chance to work on it for a while but should be getting back after it soon. I feel like I'm close just need to find out what's causing this no start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Peterbuilt84 View Post
              I think I have narrowed it down to no spark.
              I was wrong. Got a remote starter button and was able to actually test it. The plugs are getting spark. I think I'm going to try to pull the distributor and time it.

Anyone have a good link to timing an M10?

Comment

Ok, so if you're getting spark, does the car turn over when you put fuel or starting fluid in the intake?

Comment

anywhere close to number one should give you some type of symptom. check for fuel now next. If you have good pressure at the rail then its something not letting the injectors fire.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                  Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

It runs!

Was definitely me being dumb and a timing issue. I thought since I didn't move the distributor at all it would be good but I was wrong.

It still has a very hard time starting. If I get it to run it will only run for a few seconds and then die. Not having much luck finding anything on timing it though.

Comment

Still having issues with the car. It does run now. But if it's cold it really doesn't want to start. I have to crank on it for a bit with the starter and feather the throttle. Then it will run roughly for a few seconds, and eventually rev up to 2-3k rpm where it seems to run normally. If I keep the rpm's up for a few seconds and then ease them down it will idle.

Also having a cooling issue. Seems like it is not flowing through the radiator. The lower radiator hose never gets hot. Just replaced the thermostat because I thought maybe it was stuck closed, but it still got hot. Maybe replace the lower radiator hose? I filled it slowly to try to reduce air pockets, but that could be an issue as well.

PLEASE HELP!!! It's so close to running again!

Comment

How did u set the timing? Are you sure it's set properly?

Also you can remove the thermostat and put it in water to see if it opens after verifying that it's not stuck open.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes on these cars but I've had cars where the timing being off caused cooling system issues.

Comment

Honestly, I just guessed because it wouldn't run. Now that it will idle I should try timing it again. Good point.

The thermostat is brand new. It has the same issue as the old one so I'm thinking it's something else. I let it run for about 5 min with the radiator cap open to get the air out, but that didn't help. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I might try to find a t fitting to put in and see if that helps.

Comment

SOLD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X