How should I quiet her down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should I quiet her down?

So I've driven the E30 for about 1k miles and one thing I cannot stand is the exhaust. It sounds good, but is WAY too loud and drones like hell on the interstate, headache ensues after a 15 minute drive. I'm looking for you guys advice as to what I should do about quieting her down. She's a 1986 325, the glorious eta, with no cat, no resonator, just an unknown brand muffler in the back.

I've done some research, I know very little about exhausts, and have come up with adding a: high flow cat, resonator, or glasspack. I've been leaning towards the running the glasspack with the muffler I have now to keep cost down. Have seen a few posts about this option.

So here's what I'm here to ask, with my muffler, which one of these would be the best to add to eliminate most of the drone? Or any other ideas you've got for me. Sound really doesn't mean THAT much to me, mostly I just want the drone gone or mostly gone. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Glasspacks go bad eventually. Immediately if you soak the glass in gas and light it on fire lol. I'd get a Vibrant resonator to tone it down.
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Get a long resonator
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

No cat no resonator, no name muffler...seems you answered your own question
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

resonator or second muffler... and if it's a 3" exhaust, I'd lean toward the second muffler option.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

So the consensus seems to be for a resonator. I don't think it's a 3", as I haven't been able to measure it, but I will consider a second muffler if it is. I looked into Vibrants resonators and what length would be the best to go for? Or consider the ultra quiet resonators? Thanks for the input though guys, really appreciate it.
            "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Originally posted by jdance30 View Post
              So the consensus seems to be for a resonator. I don't think it's a 3", as I haven't been able to measure it, but I will consider a second muffler if it is. I looked into Vibrants resonators and what length would be the best to go for? Or consider the ultra quiet resonators? Thanks for the input though guys, really appreciate it.
              I'm going to be running a Borla Pro-XS as a mid muffler and a Vibrant StreetPower at the end. All 2.5" tubing. It should be loud when you get on it but it should drone that much at around 3k rpm.
              89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
              I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Magnaflow makes inline mufflers that are better than the vibrant options because: they are multi-level, not single material packed, and the form factor is better. The Vibrant inline are oval, whereas the magnaflow are circular. look up the magnaflow 14419.

The best option would be to get a proper prefab exhaust system, or start over with a quality muffler using an inline muffler or at least resonator.

Comment

I'm leaning more towards a redo of the exhaust, I would hate to weld in a resonator or second muffler and still have the same problem I have now just dampened a little bit. And the unknown name/quality muffler could be doing nothing to help now for all I know. I'll weigh my options and go from there. I've got the exhaust out of the car as I've got the rear subframe out, so I wanted to get some input while I have the chance. Thanks guys!!

Comment

It's an eta. Just get a stockish exhaust for a couple hundred bucks and be done. Free flow doesn't do anything for an engine built with asthma.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      It's an eta. Just get a stockish exhaust for a couple hundred bucks and be done. Free flow doesn't do anything for an engine built with asthma.
                      Seconded.

If drone is giving you headaches, find a local exhaust from an eta, or pull one from a junkyard.

Cheap, solves your problem, and you can either modify your current setup or sell it to someone who wants a loud exhaust.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                        Seconded.

If drone is giving you headaches, find a local exhaust from an eta, or pull one from a junkyard.

Cheap, solves your problem, and you can either modify your current setup or sell it to someone who wants a loud exhaust.
                        This was my original plan months ago, but gave up after not being able to find one locally or anywhere near me for that matter, however I am still on the lookout! Really, reverting back to stock or going for a whole new exhaust seems to be the way to go for now.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                          Got a good laugh out of that last sentence, will definitely consider if I can find one.

Comment

Working...
                          X