M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 turbo fact thread

Now that we have a good number of people with turbo 4 cyl engines this thread will combine all the FACTS in one place. M42 only! New builds, old builds, newbies and dreamers all welcome. Let this be an open discussion to anything and everything related to turbo 318.

Post specs, pictures, builds, turbos, videos, links and tuning options.Share your experience.Be specific and thorough. Share your experience so others can learn from you.

Ill start.

91 M42 B18
    Garret GT2871RS ball bearing turbo oil and water cooled.
    Forged CP pistons 8.5:1, Stainless rings. 85 mm overbore
    Balanced bottom end
    360 degree oil well bearings
    Stock head gasket
    Full ARP fastening hardware (connecting rod bolts, main studs and head studs)
    3inch turbo back full custom exhaust no cat no resonators, 24" series truck muffler.
    modified m5x turbo manifold (obx, Cxracing, ebay)
    3 inch intercooler piping
    Megasquirt
    1000cc injectors High imp
    GM style Intake air temp sensor
    Obx vacuum port
    Apexi electronic boost controlled wired to MS
    16psi controlled yields and estimated 260 whp. (stock clutch and flywheel cannot handle it)

before AFM delete

oil feed for turbo

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

I make custom top mounts for the M42.

Pricing and details here---> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224115

Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

I do m42 standalone engine management setups. Same price as the m20 options, just with a custom 88pin DME box. Full sequential is possible on ms2/ms3 setups, however the fuel injector harness must be modified for full sequential fuel injection. Prices range from $700 on up. Base tune is included.

This one was a 403 donor ECU converted to MS. The purple wire, if you look closely is labeled 2-step. It is for customer requested launch control. On the left there is a serial port, and the right there is a MAP sensor port. Removes the MAF :)

Derek
      DedericMS
      Last edited by blueapplesoda; 12-15-2011, 02:08 AM.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
      PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

I'm running a custom split-flow manifold with external WG mount and a Garrett T3 Super 60 with a 0.63 A/R turbine side. Full boost around 3k revs, and a bit of lag, but there is no power dropoff until somewhere past 7000 revs. 2.5" exhaust all the way back. Tial WG and a WyntonM BOV, 44mm. WyntonM bits are sold through ebay and are pretty cheap, but I've been absolutely thrilled with the quality and performance of this one. It's also pretty quiet and adjustable.

If you can find a Garrett TA31 turbo, I had one on the car for awhile. It makes full boost at 2500 revs, very little lag, but it peaks around 6000 revs. Fantastic little turbo, but they are somewhat uncommon.

For oil feed and return, I ran a line from the oil pressure sender to a T with a VDO pressure sender and a line to the turbo. DO NOT mount all this to the engine; I broke 2 t's within a month just from the vibration, and it causes pretty instantaneous oil pressure loss. I got lucky and happened to see it happen both times. My setup is mounted remotely. Oil return is to a bung in the oil pan and to a bung welded to the dipstick tube. Don't just use a bung to the oil pan-because it's below the oil level in the pan, the drain will pressurize and blow the seals on the turbo. You don't want that.

I'm running an intercooler from a Volvo 740 TIc. It fits perfectly in front of the AC condensor once you remove the aux fan, so you can keep your AC.

The engine is completely stock with the exception of a rebuilt head with shimmed valve springs for a bit more tension and ARP head studs. I'm running an M20 flywheel and clutch, with the flywheel machined to 13 lbs. No rattles, and factory driveability.

Engine management is MS2 extra, with a custom harness so I didn't have to hack the factory wiring. I'm actually using factory coils and coil drivers with sequential ignition and batch injection.

Estimated numbers are around 200 crank HP at 7.5 psi just based on driving similarly powered e30's, and it hasn't been on a dyno yet. Next spring/summer the boost will be upped to 10 psi and will be taken to a dyno shop.

So far I have almost 15k miles on the turbo with no issues.

Edit: a few more things
        I'm using 2.5" IC piping.
        Injectors are 43 lb/hr bosch green tops from Ford Racing. FR flow matches their injectors.
        MAP sensor and IAT sensors are from GM; MS works with all of the other BMW sensors.
        Last edited by gearheadE30; 10-30-2011, 11:00 AM.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Great thread. Good to have a bunch of info in one place. Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
            For oil feed and return, I ran a line from the oil pressure sender to a T with a VDO pressure sender and a line to the turbo. DO NOT mount all this to the engine; I broke 2 t's within a month just from the vibration, and it causes pretty instantaneous oil pressure loss. I got lucky and happened to see it happen both times. My setup is mounted remotely. Oil return is to a bung in the oil pan and to a bung welded to the dipstick tube. Don't just use a bung to the oil pan-because it's below the oil level in the pan, the drain will pressurize and blow the seals on the turbo. You don't want that.

I'm running an intercooler from a Volvo 740 TIc. It fits perfectly in front of the AC condensor once you remove the aux fan, so you can keep your AC.
            Do you have any pictures? Also how do you think the m42 would handle 5psi with no engine management? I know the DASC is about 5 psi but do they offer a chip to go along with it?

Comment

What size and how many CFM of a fan do you think I should get for my build? What are you running buttchug?
              sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
              Build Thread:
              Current ongoing build. Check it out!
              1991 318is 4dr rallycross
              Rallycross Build Thread.
              1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
                What size and how many CFM of a fan do you think I should get for my build? What are you running buttchug?
                im running a 2100cfm 16inch. it works well but there is a better fan to purchase. A member here has the specs on it. I believe it has its own thread.

also bump. this could turn out to be a good thread. more dudes with boost these days.

leggoo

I like the tuna here.

Comment

I would love to drive one of these. Yours setup is so clean buttchug and im sure 270 is a great feeling number. Im aiming for 300 with my m50 which prolly feels the same accounting for weight

Comment

For turbo/supercharged M42s, Supertech have standard sized and +1mm inconel exhaust valves for $30 each. Link
                    sigpic

Comment

bump cause I found this while searching for documents on my computer. I put this spec sheet together for my build.

great info on clearances for anyone measuring parts or blueprinting

M42B18

models :1989-92 318i/is/ic

DOHC 16 valve inline 4 Cylinder engine hydraulic lifters

Head casting number:

engine managment: Bosch DME M1.7

displacment: 1794cc 1.8l

HP: 136 @ 6000

TQ: 127 @ 4600

idle speed: 850rpms

firing order: 1-3-4-2
                      Bore: 84 mm, 3.31"

Stroke: 81 mm, 3.19"

Compression ratio: 10.0:1

Rod length: 140 mm / 5.512 in

Rod big end bore: 1.890 in

Crank rod journal: .858 in

Piston Dome/Dish:

Int valve dia: 33mm, 1.299"

Ex valve dia: 30.5mm, 1.201"

valve seat angle: 45 degrees

Cam lob height: 1.8755"- 1.8803"

Camshaft end play: 0.006"-0.013"

bearing clearance: 0.0008"-0.0021"

spark plug gap:0.027"

fuel pump pressure: 43psi

oil pressure @ idle: 18-28psi, 1.3-2bar

oil pressure@ top speed: 57-61psi, 4-4.3bar

I like the tuna here.

Comment

How do you guys feel about these injectors? I just came across them on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/660cc-Focus-...32115f&vxp=mtr

Comment

^ depends on your goals. but yea just need to figure out a way to tune them

I like the tuna here.

Comment

i know its a oldish thread but fux it, I'm rebuilding my turbo motor properly set up this time...just need a rebuild kit for my turbo or a new turbo and a M.S set up( anyone have tunes that i can have)
                            Originally posted by Erick
                            Dude the M30 is stupid simple design. It's 6 manly men inside the block pushing up and down on the cylinder with Hercules-like force.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              Thanks for sharing your set-ups and info on turbo build for an M42, we are in the process of building one with a friend of mine.
                              If any of you want to keep this thread going :)
                              344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X