Megasquirt Help, bought a used kit and am a little clueless now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early last year I bought a second hand M10 Turbo kit. It included a ton of stuff, some we've used some we sold, some we kept, but now were getting to the nitty-gritty and its time to install the megasquirt kit.

I think its V2 kit and it came from a E30 with a turbo M10 in it. I have a link to the build thread, but its on e30tech so its useless right now. All of the connectors for the engine (injectors, Intake Air Temp, Coolant Temp, etc ) have a proper connector and they are all wrapped together. Unfortunately the other end of this is a bunch of loose wires. Im going to unwrap it all to clean it up, but Im a bit lost on what happens on the ECU side. I expected the wires to be connected to a multipin male plug that attaches to the ECU. This is not the case and though it looks like the ECU has the female plug connection on theres a small connector that goes to another unit, I think its the jimstim (?)

Im a complete moron when it comes to electrical, so I need your help here. I was hoping this part would be easy by buying an already completed kit, as it should have a decent base map too, but Im not quite there yet.

Im going to get some good specific pictures about what Im talking about later today, but was hoping to at least start the dialogue now (while Im at work)
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Pics?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      Pics?
      Sorry it took so long, but here's a few. First two are the harness that attaches to the motor and the other side that I assume should be attaching to the ECU

Connectors to the motor

The other side...

And this harness goes from the ECU to (I believe) the jim-stim (?)

Any ideas? Seriously,talk to me like I'm clueless because I am

What I think is that I need another one of those connectors and I need to connect all those loose wires to a single plug. There's also another isolated connector for the crank position sensor, a few wires there. We have two different options for the ignition side, the first is a EDIS from a Ford (I think), the other is a MSD setup
      Last edited by 2mAn; 10-02-2016, 08:31 PM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

What version of MS is it? It'll be silkscreened on the board. You may want to post some pics of the board so we can see what's going on there.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          What version of MS is it? It'll be silkscreened on the board. You may want to post some pics of the board so we can see what's going on there.
          Ok, I'll try to get pics tonight.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Here you go.

And the other piece

so looking at the parts now, it seems like I will need both and the wiring goes into the smaller board
            Last edited by 2mAn; 10-03-2016, 07:44 PM.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Hopefully all the little tags on the wires correspond to the inputs on the small board. Otherwise you've got some hours with a electrical diagram in your future.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

I'm going to unwrap the wiring harness and the connectors are properly labeled before I took it off the car so assuming the megasquirt isn't defective or ruined what else do I need to do?
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

I did microsquirt on my M10, it was much easier because the ECU comes prebuilt with a wire harness of whatever length you need. I then just cut to length and added in wires as needed for some of the shared grounds.

Did the car run before? If not, I would recommend finding a wire diagram of where each wire is supposed to go to, and then using a multimeter to verify they are going to the right place. There will be generic diagrams out there that say something like "pin 30 goes to main power relay, pin 20 goes to water temp..."

Comment

Wow! That's an old one. I haven't touched one of those in nearly a decade. Luckily for you, that relay board makes your job easier. You connect the relay board to the megasquirt with the female-to-female DB37 harness, and put the bare wires of the messy harness in your first pic in their corresponding screw terminals on the relay board. Shouldn't be too bad.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

Wow! That's an old one. I haven't touched one of those in nearly a decade. Luckily for you, that relay board makes your job easier. You connect the relay board to the megasquirt with the female-to-female DB37 harness, and put the bare wires of the messy harness in your first pic in their corresponding screw terminals on the relay board. Shouldn't be too bad.
                      haha yea Im pretty sure its ancient, but at least it can get us started.

the blue box with the 4 screw terminals looked it was something with the injectors, but I also see a spot for each injector on the main terminal. Im guessing the ground wire (assuming thats what the second wire is) for the injectors goes over there? Is there a diagram somewhere? I recall a long time ago I found a nifty diagram that was color coded and everything, but I think it was for a later MS setup
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Here's a better picture of the board:

So I'm a little closer to finalizing this and want to make sure I'm ready when I see my cousin next weekend. I won't have much time so I want to be sure when I'm there.

I wrote the items down that are on the board and I know that the injectors are batch fired, which is why the injectors are listed as pairs of 1&2 but I'm not sure which way to pair them. 1&3, 2&4?

Then there's the other stuff, not sure exactly what connects to them, but I will list them all out and check off what I already have...

INJ 1 = Fuel Injector, Cylinder 1 CHECK
                        INJ 1 = Fuel Injector, Cylinder 3 CHECK
                        INJ 2 = Fuel Injector, Cylinder 4 CHECK
                        INJ 2 = Fuel Injector, Cylinder 2 CHECK
                        FP = Fuel Pump. - STILL NEEDS TO BE WIRED
                        FP idle. = Fuel pump. - STILL NEEDS TO BE WIRED
                        Then there's S1-S5, spark plugs? - Still no idea..
                        Vref = TPS, 5v CHECK
                        TPS = TPS CHECK
                        TPSref = TPS CHECK
                        Tach. = Tach, but from where
                        MAT = Manifold Air Temp CHECK
                        MATref = Manifold Air Temp CHECK
                        CLT = Coolant Temp CHECK
                        CLTref = Coolant Temp CHECK
                        o2. = single wire from the O2? Confused about this?

And finally there's the 3 spots that seem to have been soldered on:

Engine ground
                        Switched 12v
                        12v battery

Not sure where to tap into the last 3

Any help is appreciated, I feel like that map I had from a while ago would be helpful but I can't find it
                        Last edited by 2mAn; 11-28-2016, 05:29 PM. Reason: updating info in case anyone else needs it later....
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

bump for some more answers... really just wondering about the S1-S5 and the o2. The rest is sort of figured out by now.

Also, with the 2 wires going to stuff like the TPS, MAT and CLT which goes to the regular and which goes to the -ref wire. Is the -ref wire the ground? Same with the injector, the positive goes to the blue 12v and the rest go to the main area?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Forgot all about this, sorry about that. S1-S5 are spare outputs. What they do depends on the configuration of your megasquirt unit, but I do not see anything on the board that would use these. The spares typically do things like IAC/fast idle and triggering an electric fan.

O2 signal wire is going to depend on your configuration, a single wire is sufficient for the linear output from a wideband controller, but typically you reference this signal to a ground at the ECU; one wire to the MS is the linear output, another is output ground.

None of those resistive sensors are typically polarity sensitive, either pin can be vref/ground or signal unless one is pin grounded to the sensor body.
                            -TPS; vref (5v) in, signal out.
                            -CLT, IAT; ECU ground on one pin, signal on the other
                            -Injectors; switched 12v on one side, ECU on the other (it grounds them to fire them)

Is this the color coded wiring diagram you're thinking of? http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/p...2-external.png
                            Here's some info about your relay board: http://www.bgsoflex.com/mspower/mspower.html
                            Here's the ETM for an M10 car if you don't have it: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...ing Manual.pdf

You may want to fill in that open solder joint on U3 near the word "notch":

Feel free to PM me with any questions about this 2mAn, I'll respond more quickly that way. The positive side of leaving it in this thread though is that the info is there for other people who might run into the same problem.
                            Last edited by varg; 11-28-2016, 09:05 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

Forgot all about this, sorry about that. ...

Is this the color coded wiring diagram you're thinking of? http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/p...2-external.png

You may want to fill in that open solder joint on U3 near the word "notch":

Feel free to PM me with any questions about this 2mAn, I'll respond more quickly that way. The positive side of leaving it in this thread though is that the info is there for other people who might run into the same problem.
                              trimmed up the quote to try and declutter the thread.

First, thank you for responding and yes thats the diagram I was remembering. I printed it out to keep it handy.

Also thanks for pointing out the open solder, I will have to figure that out, would've been a headache down the road Im sure.

So, as I understand it, it wont matter which one (-ref or not) gets the ground wire, should I stay consistent or again, it doesnt matter?

Theres going to be a few other things I need to address on this as we get closer, but I really am hoping to get him close enough with r3vs help so that he can finish it off on his own. I hate that he has to wait months because he doesnt know what to do and cant get any help locally.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X