No announcement yet.

iron first in a velvet glove the build of my m30b35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had this on the back burner for a couple of months, just moved in with my girlfriend & are renovating at our place, & helped my sister in buying her first home.

the e30 was at world time attack for the show & shine, I spent two days wandering around looking a the race cars, & more so the prepped motorsport legends which gave me much needed motivation.

Builds like this rb26 powered 240z was a good push

So this morning I ordered,

head gasket kit
    4x rocker shafts
    new eccentrics
    s38 itb gasket(itb to adapters)
    associated o-rings & caps to refresh the itbs
    & some other bits & pieces

Next order:
    ARP stud kit
    Timing chain & guides

Waiting to hear back from my builder on when the head can get dropped in for some love.
    Last edited by Anthony B; 09-15-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

The waiting game is on for parts, & hearing back about ordering parts.

ECS order is due to be shipped out late next week.

Waiting to hear back from Thomas at PPM about ordering 10x48mm intake valves(4 are for an m10 build RHD asked if i can do a bundle order).

Have spoken with Rama aka RHD, just waiting on valves so I can drop the head off & get started.

The plans so far:

Port match the head to the adapter plates, fitting +1mm oversized intake valves, cleaning up the oem exhaust side.
      Custom CP pistons matched with 144mm S38 rods that have been balanced & lightened fresh bearings to suit.
      New timing gear & seals throughout
      EMU ecu & sequential ignition using ls1 coils

Time & money is the only thing slowing down the build, hopefully I have some luck with a new job I applied for will lift the car budget a tad.

For now here is a shot of the e30 at WTAC with my mates stroked ls1 on an easy tune making 299.21rwkw & 721nm of torque

Last edited by Anthony B; 09-15-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I hoped the trinkets lashed to a roof rack was dead or to remain in the VW scene.

Better shots of engine bay?
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

nothing wrong with some roof trinkets, & on a plus my esky was filled with beer

Going to assume the photo of the bay was for the ls1 bay

My bay isn't quiet as nice

Comment

No, I wanted to see your bay!

I appreciate the LSx swap but I more prefer the M30.

Looks good. Always look for ideas how folks did theirs. Trying to learn from it all. What washer reservoir is that?
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Nice to see the fitment of your strut bar there Anthony. I have the same strut bar sitting on a shelf in my shed, but wasn't sure whether it would fit with the M30. Looks to fit well.

Given my adjustable strut tops, I didn't try test fitting it as I'd need to go get a wheel alignment after (which is a bit dearer than normal due to the strut tops).
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                No, I wanted to see your bay!

I appreciate the LSx swap but I more prefer the M30.

Looks good. Always look for ideas how folks did theirs. Trying to learn from it all. What washer reservoir is that?

Haha rare moment usually the ls1 is the more in thing. I'm using an e32 washer bottle apparently was fitted to some e34's it tucks well behind the light turner sells them https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...ottle-e32-e34/

Lots of clearance around the strut bar with more than an inch of room away from the motor. I'll be on adjustable tops shortly so I too will enjoy the cost of an alignment.

So far neither PPM or VAC have responded to my emails about valves which is a tad frustrating. I think I will end up having to buy a set of +1mm valves & leave it up to the builder to see what we can do with the exhaust side.

My ecs order has been delayed till the 25th November awaiting rocker arms to be sent in, but so long as I get valves I can make some progress. so I got impatient & emailed ecs & asked to substitute the parts for oem x5 the price, I guess do it once do it properly, hopefully they can make the substitution
                Last edited by Anthony B; 10-28-2016, 08:12 PM.

Comment

So the ECS order is in, with some slight poor packing on their part(parts floating around loose in the bottom of the box)

Split my Simmons f90's over the weekend picked up new lips to bring them to 16x8.5 square, or stagger them at 8's & 8.5's. Just a matter of finding tyres looking like a slight stretch on 225/45/16 is going to happen as no one makes a 235/45/16

Brought all the head related parts to my new workspace, going to pull the itb's apart this week changing o-rings, giving them a clean, & resetting the adjusters to factory spec to save chasing hassles later on.

Parts to go:

Valves
                  S38b36 rods lightened & balanced
                  rod bearings to suit
                  Custom CP pistons
                  Emu ecu

I like that the list is shorter now mind you it is the most expensive stuff to go.... the girlfriend hasn't taken to the idea of instant noodles for the next 3mths so I have to buy these things progressively, fingers crossed I get the job I have an interview for this week(better pay, & Mon - Friday hours)

Comment

Cleaned up the ITB's to cure boredom appreciate unicorn slippers in the corner,

PPM Valves ordered +1mm intake & exhaust - once delivered head is getting love
                    ARP head studs
                    All new timing gear

Finally found a spare m30 to pull down, will be picking it up in 1-2wks

Comment

So PPM valves finally arrived(ordering process was less than desirable) but anyway they are here

My rocker locks also arrived, need to spend some time cleaning them up they are less than expected quality wise with the thread ends not cleaned up & aluminum filings breaking off.

Head will finally be off to get ported, with the only parts possibly required being valve guides.

While waiting on parts & dying slowly from the man flu I got started on building my wheels only 3 to go...

3" lips
                      Stainless bolts
                      & fresh paint

Arranging picking up the m30 to pull down & build this week

Comment

Those are nice looking wheels..!!
                        Does the thermostat housing need modifying to clear the ITB's or TPS sensor..?
                        Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                          Those are nice looking wheels..!!
                          Does the thermostat housing need modifying to clear the ITB's or TPS sensor..?
                          Hopefully will have them finished soon just need to polish my other lips decided staggered is the best option.

I will need to be modified as it fowls the TPS pretty bad, I'm getting a new housing to cut up & modify.

My engine builder is back in Taiwan until late Jan, which is ok Xmas is hitting my pocket nice & hard this year along with me wasting money on my daily the Forester now is more fun with 184kw@5900rpm & made 807nm. So coin saving & supporting work to happen in between.

Plans for the coming month:
                          Pull down the spare m30
                          Modify the thermostat housing
                          arrange new studs, nuts, & bolts

Comment

Let’s do a big thread bump I lost motivation after photo bucket dicked my photos,

So I’ve made some progress on the build;

Head flows on the intake 210cfm at 9.4mm lift approx 22% higher than standard, HD springs, +1mm exhaust valves & stainless intakes(standard sized because I ordered the oversized early model m30 which you guessed it is the same as the late models standard intake valve size....) 294/294 cat cam, shot peened & crack tested oem rockers, new hardware throughout, & ie rockerlocks which to be honest their finish was rubbish

Picked up a late model m90 block(loses the raised cooling channel), will be running my b35 crank to benefit the 86mm stroke.

So the bottom end will be;
                            144mm max speeding rods
                            B35 crank knife edged & balanced
                            m90 block, dipped to clean out the cooling channels, line honed
                            Rotating assembly balanced
                            11:1cr wiseco pistons(the last piece of the puzzle)
                            S38 head gasket
                            Attached Files

Comment

I also am moving away from the s38 itb setup & will be using Rama’s itb kit he fabricated this off my head(joys of having him local). The port angle & runner design works out much cleaner. They still require modifications to the thermostat housing & we are looking at a few options to with move the thermostat housing slightly forward or the alternative of just rotating the interfering outlet

Also picked up one of MRT’a new m30/s38 crank hubs & trigger wheel combs just need to order my damper & start working out options to move to a multi groove serpentine belt to run my alternator & water pump
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Anthony! Looks amazing.

Do you know if RHD are going to offer an M30 kit after the work for your car?

Looking at the amount of room the trumpets will take up, are you going boosterless with the brakes?
                                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                                X