Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
    Pharow, I think he just joking,
    A2, I've been working in the shop 2months now, I normally don't sculpt rubber or deal with it at all. We rebuild heavy truck seats and somethimes passenger cars, but we supply a fleet of over 5000 so their more worried about quantity, not quality. I'm just throwing tills out there to help anyone attempting these things on their own. I never said I was a veteran, but I'm learning and improving.
    So, I guess thanks for the words of encouragement?
    I saw on another thread you started recently about what color you should use. Can't wait to see the final outcome. Which one did you choose?
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

ive decided to go with the black, but ill be working at this shop for the next 27 years, so if i dont like it, ill just redo it...lol
      Proud Owner and Operator.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
        that's sick as fuck
        thanks man

Comment

Comment

Oh my shit! More info on cloth material and where to get the pattern. This is what I'm looking for and I love it on the visors.

Comment

material is some random stuff from the local fabric store. I was way to thin to use glue so it is all sewn

Comment

Originally posted by oldsch_e30 View Post
                i keep reading u have to pull out the windshield and rear glass for thiss ?? is ther a way around that
                sigpic
                DO WORK

Comment

My first attempt

picked up my e30 about a month ago for $750 at an auction. mechanically it was in pretty good shape but the upholstery was a gleaming deficiency so I went ahead a started redoing it. this is my first attempt at upholstery, although I know my way around a sewing machine.

I used vinyl from a discount "end of the roll" type place in phoenix called SAS fabrics and got about 6 yards for less than $30. I'm sure it's not the best quality and will probably not weather all that well, but the price is right and it's a first attempt anyway so if it can't handle the temps then I will just redo it again.

I really like the diamond pattern so i thought i would try that. I think the first chair turned out pretty good. I had it all done once and thought it looked crappy so i pulled it apart, second try was alot better.

Oh, btw, people will tell you that you need an industrial walking foot machine, these cost into the thousands. I did this all with a "europro shark". Just a standard machine, used a heavy duty/leather needle, fabric store nylon upholstery thread with machine set on high tension (6.5-7) and the longest stitch length my machine will do which is 4.5 mm. I reinforced all my seams with backstitches at the beginning and end and went over most of the seams twice.

I will post more picks when I get everything done and reinstalled. I'm also doing my dash at the same time so may be a while.

Oh by the way... does anyone have any experience with auto carpet dye? good? bad? ugly? thinking of going from grey to black.

(Why does he have to be Black? )

Comment

Wow that's not bad. I've read on other forums that carpet dye can look pretty bad and uneven depending on how drastic you're changing it. Grey to black might look decent, but like mine, tan to black will probably get sketchy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
                      i keep reading u have to pull out the windshield and rear glass for thiss ?? is ther a way around that
                      yeah dude you have to pull the rear glass. i couldnt find a way around it because the window gasket is really hard and its impossible to tuck the fabric underneath it

Comment

Originally posted by oldsch_e30 View Post
                        yeah dude you have to pull the rear glass. i couldnt find a way around it because the window gasket is really hard and its impossible to tuck the fabric underneath it
                        damn lol ight i wanna do this so bad coming from the vw scene
                        sigpic
                        DO WORK

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
                          damn lol ight i wanna do this so bad coming from the vw scene
                          yeah man, just make sure before you do it get some uv fabric protectant so it wont fade. unfortunatly i didnt know they sold uv protectant untill after i installed the headliner and now its turning pinkish

Comment

damn thanks for sharing that one I didn't even think of that.
                            oh here's a little teaser, my dad's starting on upholstery for his 81 camaro z28. This is his first attempt and he did a really damn good job so far.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	dad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7140794

Comment

Update
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	7140970

Comment

Whiteclef, I like the diamond pattern a lot, I was thinking of something similar, but never had the time to try it out. Your patterning looks good. I agree with your statement about the industrial walking foot machine not being a necessity, but just as you can splice wires with out a soldering iron, You can use a regular machine. I used one for my first seat as well, but it makes it so much easier to work with any material or leather. You can get a good used walking foot machine for about $500, do one job and it's paid for. Just how I feel, but I can't wait to see the rest of the interior when it's done, what's the plan for the door cards?
                                Proud Owner and Operator.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X