E30 Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
    i thought a gurney flap was just to improve stability at speed.
    Think about that... Downforce weights the rear of the car improving stability. The front splitter does a similar thing, but up front. If you increase one, you need to increase the other to balance the car.

I admit to this, I've done 140 mph in my M3 (a very long straight road, that wasn't smooth) and I have to say the car was rock solid despite the road being pretty rough.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I think 1980s BMW didn't go too crazy with the aero on the m3's cuz they knew the cokebinge everyone was on would only go too far with purchases... normal people don't go for cars with massive wings and shit... that was a niche market reserved for lamborghini ;)

Comment

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
          rwh11385, what wing is that on the red car? I like the mounting. The uprights look very well done.
          I think Brooks Motorsports Composites: http://brooksmotorsport.com/products/

His mentions:
          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Originally posted by NigelStu View Post
          This cheap stupid stuff was worth 1-1.5 seconds per lap at Gingerman (South Haven Michigan).

splitter is just 3/8 plywood. Wing has a proper airfoil shape (wood ribs with foam core)

Yesssss.

Comment

DSCN4019 by ericandshovin, on Flickr

Found another one
            Last edited by Eric; 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM.
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post

There's some running them. And IIRC, don't have to spend too much (i.e. ebay) as long as they are structurally sound.
              I built that splitter on the yellow car (Treehouse Racing). Worked on Akard's car too. About 9 years ago… Time flies.
              Originally posted by Andy.B
              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
              1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                Best aero mods for an E30? Pretty simple, look at an M3, all done by the factory,tested, and race approved. The rear window and trunk lid made a huge difference in reducing drag. That alone lowered the CoD from 0.39 to 0.33, front splitter and airdam? Evo 2 airdam with Evo3 splitter. Seal up all the gaps around the hood and grill, (all stock evo parts that can be ordered with little trouble.)

Will
                It might be worth some time looking into if you could find a way to mimic that, as well as the m3's under panels around the spare tire well (or cut it out for a diffuser)

I think the gurney flap spoilers would be less effective than an actual wing if we're taking drag into account. I obviously don't have any numbers, but the gurney flap does not seem very aerodynamic, plus it is in the wake of the car and not very wide. A full blown wing will be up higher, wider, with more surface area, and much less drag. On the downside, it will be heavier. Not just the weight of the wing, but the mounts you will need to hold it in place.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                  I built that splitter on the yellow car (Treehouse Racing). Worked on Akard's car too. About 9 years ago… Time flies.
                  Sweet. I met Jon about that era with the ugly but awesome yellow/green racecar. Bluegrass race weekend 2005, and the sticker was the best part:

I forgot who ran an off the shelf / ebay ricer wing but thought it was someone in e30 world.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  It might be worth some time looking into if you could find a way to mimic that

E30 are brick-like so could benefit with a few of these near the rear of the roof to reduce drag. Someone should run CFD on this topic. Anyone have an E30 made in CAD already?
                  Last edited by rwh11385; 01-25-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Vortex generators, yes those might be helpful. The bump above the rear window on the M3 serves much the same purpose causing the boundary layer to trip and spill onto the spoiler. I've sort of wondered what would happen if one were to add some to the existing setup on the M3.

I have to admit it would be fun to stick an E30 in both normal and M3 form in a windtunnel and see what the airflow differences are. Then add things like the EVO front splitter and a set of extra vortex generators and that sort of thing to see just what does actually make a difference and what doesn't.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Thought you might enjoy looking at these autospeed articles:

larger here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...57241711_o.jpg

It was good enough to make a noticeable difference at the top of 2nd gear (max speed for autox territory), but in order to make a real difference you need some fresh air (above the roof line). This was in accordance to the Street Prepared rules(10" spoiler in any direction)

edit: also, minimizing turbulence does not necessarily mean that you are creating downforce. Some of you guys are on the right track with creating laminar flow and removing turbulence. getting rid of(or minimizing) low pressure zones on top of the car will be worth your time. VGs have their limit of effectiveness, and they reach a point of diminishing returns. I think that's outlined in one of the articles I link.
                      Last edited by Jaxx_; 01-25-2014, 05:05 PM.
                      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Since it might not be practical or feasible to change out the rear window and C pillars, a few bucks for VGs might help. Ebay big wing and whatever splitter-like things you can stick on the front.

Im gonna have to have fun and experiment when I get a LeMons of my own.

Comment

@RWH, I was there that weekend. It was hotter than the devils anus and I was changing tires the whole time I think...
                          Originally posted by Andy.B
                          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The stock E30 is drag limited at an absurdly low speed, so keeping drag down may actually
                            be more beneficial than trying to add download for corners- any gain in the corners can
                            be more than eaten up in a straight line by drag.
                            That said, aero download that doesn't cost you much in drag,
                            especially something like a big front splitter,
                            will let you readjust suspension settings (in particular, reducing static front camber)
                            to gain in other areas, particularly braking.

Racing isn't always the best guide, though, as the M3 in DTM was aero- restricted-
                            sure, they did the best the factory could, but they were restrained by rules that may
                            not apply to you. Likewise, there is "no" aero development in Pro3 because we can't.
                            Not because we don't want to.

And Mythbusters proved that you want to dimple it just like the golf ball, didn't they?

t

(ps, a Gurney flap is a way to increase wing download a LOT at the cost of relatively
                            minimum drag, and since it's easy to change, it's very useful for tuning)
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

A pretty good explanation of gurney flaps.

a video describing what a Gurney flap is, where it comes from, how it works, and what its used for. Goes into specifics on the aerodynamics and flow structur...
                              sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X